New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want " high performance " , buy a tesoro cibola. It is a " turn on and go" machine. If the cibola is out of your budget then look at the Tesoro Silver Umax. Dont be decieved by its simplicity. Other wise the Garrett 350 is an easy to use high perfomance machine. The coil on a 350 is a tad large for coins so you might consider buying two coils for the Garrett. The Fisher f 2 IS easy to use too. You won't go wrong on any of the detectors mentioned here.

The Garrett AT Pro might be too much machine for a first time owner. I'm not sure , I dont use one.

I don't understand where that statement came from, the AT Pro is very simple to use. I got mine in June 2013, I have found 24 silvers with mine, that's just the coins. I found allot of other things, the way I understand it the bigger coils go deeper, smaller help in trashy areas. The 350 is just the 250 with a bigger coil. I still say you deserve a AT Pro for Christmas. I'm hooked on mine, it has done me good, I'm the type of guy who goes on life experiences, when a product performs for me then I'll talk it up, when it lets me down, I'll trash talk it. I'm sure (I guess) the other detectors are good, but I know the AT Pro is good, you have a screen showing you what is going on and tones helping you also. Allot of the other machines don't have a screen, they just have tones and the AT Pro is waterproof to boot.

Good luck with whatever you get!

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The only real noticeable difference between a 250 and a 350 is the DD coil. If you're that limited, just buy a DD coil by itself and save yourself the extra $.

The main differences that make the AT Pro the top upgrade from either machine is the manual ground balance capability and the VDI (numeric signal scale). This is not to minimize the waterproof feature or enhanced discrimination, but only to compare pure functionality.

My friend was going to upgrade to a 350 from a 250 until he read that the only major difference is the DD coil so he upgraded the coil for about $60, and he is also holding out for an AT Pro. That's my advice.

Lefty

Sep 13, 2013
Orange County, CA
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, ACE 350, Bounty Hunter Quick Silver
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I currently use the ACE350, started with the Bounty Hunter Quick Silver. Started metal detecting about 8 months ago. I've found about 1600 coins, only a couple of silver coins. A few silver rings, no gold yet. The 350 works in dry sand at the beach, but not the wet sand. For me, I've only seem to find items about 6 inches down max (unless it's a can). A pet peeve would be that bottle caps show up as quarters, not sure if other machines do that too. I've learned to walk around the target and if it stays at quarter signal then it's usually good but it if started to bounce around as I move around the target then it's usually a bottle cap. After reading the other posts, I need to dig more foil signals and maybe get the gold rings. The built in pin-pointer is nice but it did take awhile to perfect it. IF I had the money and knew I would metal detecting a lot I would get the ATPRO or another brand that goes deeper and into wet sand but I'll stick with the ACE350 for now. Hope this helps.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use to swing the 350 and it is a great machine but the at pro has so much more and I ended up with one in July and haven't looked back. I had to sell the 350 though because wife says only one detector lol. If you can swing it I would bypass the 350 and go with the pro. I have used both and that's just my opinion. Good luck with whatever you end up with.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wayne at metal detecting stuff does paypal also so you could do the bill me later if possible and make payments over six months.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used a 350 for a little while, but I liked the AT Pro much better. Budget wise, if you didn't mind a "beep and dig" I would lean more toward a Tesoro Cibola or Vanquero.

In my humble opinion Tesoros are some of the best no frills detectors out there. Another thing to consider is that most Tesoros are not overly expensive and you can get most of your money back once you resell one. I actually bought a used one and sold if for more 2 years after owning it.

BTW, Also, keep in mind that a few dealers on this website will adjust there prices down a bit if you just ask.

Qball

Jan 18, 2013
northern California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
nox 800 xp deus, CTX, etrac,T2, gonkulator
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Go to big boys hobbies and ask him what he can do for a detector with none of the other crap.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice, very lightly used Vaquero on ebay right now....comes wiith the box, paperwork, a hand digger, and some other stuff for 315.00 I almost bought it myself!

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goldkey and other posters hit the nail on the head. Buy a used Ace 250 with the larger DD coil. Since I bought the larger coil for my 250, I've found WAY more good stuff. Colonial era shoe buckle and flat buttons, 1817 Large Cent, musket balls, 1865 Indian Head cent and so on. The only good item I ever found with the smaller coil was a 1903 Barber dime.

Don't worry about buying a used one, either. I've beat the heck out of my Garrett over the last eight months and it still works perfectly. I put in at least 20 hours a week (if the weather cooperates), so that's over 600 hours or more of use with ZERO problems. All Garrett's are very reliable and very well made.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread