Garrett AT Pro or Fisher F70?

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you never owned a detector a atp is a good choice. If you don't like the hobby your not out much coin. The advantage of the f70 is the fact it came after the t2 and f75. It has the best Fisher has to offer. I have considered the atp but don't have a need for it. My f75se does the job. But I really want a t2 se. The original op needs to also consider the learning curve. I believe he would have less headaches with the atp.

ClodChopper

Mar 6, 2013
Oakland Co. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fischer F70
Garrett ACE 350
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Raven model 25 and other hacking tools
1part piss / 3 parts vinegar
30 round mags
God Bless America!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last season was my first year detecting. I used an Ace350 for about 45 minutes, then bought an F70. It was probably to much detector for my experience level. It's a very powerful, and sophisticated unit. Trying to learn the fundamentals of detecting, and simultaneously mastering the F70, was a difficult task. Now, I'm at a point where I typically run her very hot, in delta pitch. I find it to be very accurate and extremely sensitive. The added feedback in delta pitch, helps immensely in trashy areas. I really like having the ability to fine tune all the settings. No doubt, the AT is a fantastic machine. I've tried them, but never put serious time on one. However, based upon my experience with the F70, I'd say Fischer hands down.

falconman515

Mar 28, 2014
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
Saving My Pennies ...........

For an XP Deus w/ 11" coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bumping this thread.

I am not looking at buying a Garrett AT Pro ... I am about 99% sold on it ...

But this Fisher F70 is the last one I am going to research before I pull the trigger on the AT Pro

I know this thread is ATP vs. F70 but keep in mind the new F70"DD" coil version is now on the market and may be better then the original F70 (not sure but I would assume).

Is the F70 DD worth the extra $100-150 dollar more it will cost me over the AT Pro? (and yes it will be that much as the ATP I am getting has the headphones, extra 5x8 coil etc. where the Fisher F70 DD does not and in the end will cost 100 plus bucks more).

Just curious if there is anything the F70 has that would make it more high end or better detector over the ATP?

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
I can't speak for the atp but I had an f70 and it is a good machine. It can get noisy when you turn it up due to being a very sensitive machine. The all metal mode is great. It has one of the fastest recovery speeds of any detector. But it isn't waterproof, so if you plan on doing any water hunting, the atp would be the way to go. I have seen lots of folks give rave reviews about the atp, but I have never used one.

I think you would be happy with either. Both are good brands so just look at the features you would like to have and whichever one meets your needs the best, get it. Kellyco will let you do a side by side comparison, maybe that will help you decide. Good luck to you.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being in Fresno, any chance you can go by shops and play with both machines? Hopefully they have a garden you can test in.

Like someone else said, if you pick up the detector and it feels wrong or just doesn't fit your eye, nothing will probably change that first impression.....

falconman515

Mar 28, 2014
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Being in Fresno, any chance you can go by shops and play with both machines? Hopefully they have a garden you can test in.

Like someone else said, if you pick up the detector and it feels wrong or just doesn't fit your eye, nothing will probably change that first impression.....

Unfortunately no ... there is no place around that a metal detector shop that carries any of these kind of detectors ... best we got around for buying a detector is Radio Shack!!! LOL

I wish I could see them all, feel them, test them, check out the features, etc. etc. but unfortunately they have nothing like that around here.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go ahead and get them both and ebay the one you don't like!

I like at least one feature in every machine I've "collected", my next purchase would be a higher frequency Garrett GTP or GTI or a higher frequency Fisher F5. I hate clicking the buttons stepping through menus on the F70, but the clicking necessary to change things on the GTP1350 seems easier and user friendly. I like the F5 because like a Tesoro, just about everything is there on the front with a separate knob to adjust it, no more clicking through menus! I can't imagine how guys use an F75 or T2 with one button and one knob without wasting the majority of your time fiddling...

Good luck

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go ahead and get them both and ebay the one you don't like!

I like at least one feature in every machine I've "collected", my next purchase would be a higher frequency Garrett GTP or GTI or a higher frequency Fisher F5. I hate clicking the buttons stepping through menus on the F70, but the clicking necessary to change things on the GTP1350 seems easier and user friendly. I like the F5 because like a Tesoro, just about everything is there on the front with a separate knob to adjust it, no more clicking through menus! I can't imagine how guys use an F75 or T2 with one button and one knob without wasting the majority of your time fiddling...

Good luck

It's actually 3 buttons & its very easy to use & very powerful the f75ltd & t2 I've had the other high end & these fishers & the twin t2 are amazing machines

falconman515

Mar 28, 2014
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wish I could buy them both ... all 3 actually.

I am down to 3 detectors for the most part ....

1st Choice: Garrett AT Prp
2nd Choice: Fisher F70 DD
3rd Choice: Whites MX5

4. And the Damn Minelab X-Terra 705 is back in the forefront ... Arrgghhhh!!!

(though it's a toss up between second place really between the F70 and MX5 ... but the ATP has been leading for me since day one after reading all they killer reviews and how many guys use them).

Like I had said I'm pretty sold on the ATP but damn I wish I just knew about the others and also how they feel etc. etc. etc

Sure wish they had a detector shop local that I could test these out or at least see them and feel them before I buy.

Last edited:

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's actually 3 buttons & its very easy to use & very powerful the f75ltd & t2 I've had the other high end & these fishers & the twin t2 are amazing machines

On the F75 I see one settings knob adjustment and one menu pushbutton. Pinpoint and all metal is a toggle switch underneath. I still hate it.
:)

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
& the button under the rear arm cup that turns them on & adjusts the volume, & that's A ok if u don't like em I know what it can do in.comparison to some other high end machines worth hundreds more

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
& the button under the rear arm cup that turns them on & adjusts the volume, & that's A ok if u don't like em I know what it can do in.comparison to some other high end machines worth hundreds more

My F70 is hotter than your overpriced F75.
How's that? lol
Cheers

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey now its an ltd lol, long as,ur happy using what ur using, & if I told u what I really paid for it with 3 coils I dought anyone would say over priced let's just say under $750

falconman515

Mar 28, 2014
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Fresno Coin gallery is the only place in town but they only have Whites and that's all (Morris Levin & Son is another hardware store in Visalia and hour away I think has a couple detectors, but only Whites as well) ... no place around here is a detector shop or has a variety of detector brands.

I wish they had a shop that carried most all of them ... that would be Awesome!!!

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
I wish I could buy them both ... all 3 actually.

I am down to 3 detectors for the most part ....

1st Choice: Garrett AT Prp
2nd Choice: Fisher F70 DD
3rd Choice: Whites MX5

4. And the Damn Minelab X-Terra 705 is back in the forefront ... Arrgghhhh!!!

(though it's a toss up between second place really between the F70 and MX5 ... but the ATP has been leading for me since day one after reading all they killer reviews and how many guys use them).

Like I had said I'm pretty sold on the ATP but damn I wish I just knew about the others and also how they feel etc. etc. etc

Sure wish they had a detector shop local that I could test these out or at least see them and feel them before I buy.

The f70 is very light. It uses 4 aa batteries and will go for quite awhile on them. I found that a faster sweep speed was needed for the f70. After starting with a whites and using a slower sweep speed, it took some getting used to. I found quite a few good finds with my f70, but I own a dfx and an etrac now.

For versatility and one machine that could do a little bit of everything, I think I would get the at pro. I have never water hunted but in the summer when it gets hot, it would be a great way to cool down and metal detect at the same time. Not to mention those swimming holes where jewelry has been lost over the years. My next detector will probably be the at pro to water hunt. And it looks like a good land detector too. No law says you can't have more than one detector.

falconman515

Mar 28, 2014
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No law says you can't have more than one detector.

My pocket book is law ... and it says I can't

(not to mention the major law called the wife .. she Really says I can't) :p

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fresno Coin gallery is the only place in town but they only have Whites and that's all (Morris Levin & Son is another hardware store in Visalia and hour away I think has a couple detectors, but only Whites as well) ... no place around here is a detector shop or has a variety of detector brands. I wish they had a shop that carried most all of them ... that would be Awesome!!!
That selection of detectors available locally could work to your advantage.

Last edited:

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Another thought…Have you contacted any of TNets supporting vendors re: questions on detector comparisons? It's been my experience that dealers usually have used a wide verity of tectors!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread