What would you go with?

Heavy

Tenderfoot
Nov 30, 2008
Been at this hobby now for about 2 years and I'm ready to upgrade from my ML X-30. In trying choosing a straight in the dirt coin and jewelery machine for around 4-$600.00 what would be your choice? And how much of a difference should I expect to see? Been looking at the Vaquero, Whites M-6, AT PRO and the SOV GT. Well WAS looking at the GT until its recent markup, or would it be worth the extra $$$? In many post the AT sounds great but still read where some are having the coil "chirps" issue. Lastly here in SE TX. the soil mineralization doesn't seem to be of great concern - if that helps with your choice. Thanks Heavy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Heavy said:
Been at this hobby now for about 2 years and I'm ready to upgrade from my ML X-30. In trying choosing a straight in the dirt coin and jewelery machine for around 4-$600.00 what would be your choice? And how much of a difference should I expect to see? Been looking at the Vaquero, Whites M-6, AT PRO and the SOV GT. Well WAS looking at the GT until its recent markup, or would it be worth the extra $$$? In many post the AT sounds great but still read where some are having the coil "chirps" issue. Lastly here in SE TX. the soil mineralization doesn't seem to be of great concern - if that helps with your choice. Thanks Heavy
Well i just got a AT Pro and mine works fine no problems.......... I know what you mean on that big markup on the Sovereign to much for a Sovereign...... Now they are going to markup the Excalibur by $100.00 in a month or so..............It will be like when Minelab raised the cost of the Musketeer No one bought them cost was to high. So they quit makeing them........

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well the Sov GT is well worth even the extra money espepecially if you're ever going to try the beaches. My Sov GT sports the Sunray S-1 inline probe and till recently I had the meter too. It has paid for itself a few times.

About the AT Pro, you have to remember the coil is a send and receive antenna and any signal from another source will make it chirp if you hold the coil in the air. Mine is silent as heck once it is ground balanced. Don't you guys get the idea that I have to turn it on also. Learning the tones is easier than the tones on the Sov Gt. I look forward to seeing if the AT Pro does better than my Sov GT or my Tejon.

Attachments

• AT Pro.jpg
    AT Pro.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 1,091
  • AT Pro.jpg
    AT Pro.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 1,088
OP
OP
H

Heavy

Tenderfoot
Nov 30, 2008
I know both the AT PRO and the SOV GT would be a huge step up from my X-30. I guess my main question would be - is the GT as solid at coin/jewelry hunting on land, as compaired to most other mid-range detectors?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Sov GT is more than capable for coin and jewelry hunting on land because of it's depth and Iron Mask feature besides disc. The tone produced by gold rings is very different than other targets as there are many sounds.

Attachments

• Sovereign GT face.jpg
    Sovereign GT face.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 1,102
  • Sovereign GT face.jpg
    Sovereign GT face.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 1,090

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
Don't under estimate the Whites M6 for coins and jewlery. A lot of hype out there for other detectors, but in that price range and for that purpose, I like the M6!

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
John (Ma) said:
Don't under estimate the Whites M6 for coins and jewlery. A lot of hype out there for other detectors, but in that price range and for that purpose, I like the M6!
White's m6 you woun't have a flimsy, churpie.. detector..

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would personally go with the Whites M6 as it is a great machine and they are built like a tank to boot also. Have you considered some of the other series in the Minelab Xterra line like the 50 or 505? They are good units and you already kind of know their number system. Also the 50 and 505 have an adjustable ground balance where the 30 does not. Anyways just an idea.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd have to say the M6 in that price range if your wanting to buy it new, if you would consider used then I would say to check for a used MXT. The MXT has excellent depth with the right coil the MXT with the D2 coil can get dimes at 10"+.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
At Pro or Teknetics G2! I love both machines! Holler for best pricing!!
Bart

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.........Get a White's you won't be unhappy.......

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In that price range? Fisher F70 or AT Pro.
If water is involved, there is only one choice - the Garrett.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
My M-6 Continues to amaze me for seperation with the DD 6x10 coil.Thinking of adding the Super 12 for more depth.Cheers Mate! HH

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
After only 5 hours of use with the AT Pro, I got a 7" deep dime in my bad soil & it IDed corrrectly! In a park I've detected hundreds of times. Very deep & stable & the stock DD coil separates great. But I'm also getting the 9x12 concenctric that John-Edmonton really likes.

No worries about shallow water detecting or rain. Barely over 3 lbs versus 6 lbs for a Soverign GT with meter. AT Pro very quiet/stable, with manual GB.

The problems with the AT Pro were fixed in March so make sure you get newer stock from dealer (ask Garrett about serial numbers). Best wishes, George (MN)

Eagletalon

Tenderfoot
Aug 14, 2011
Get a Cortes that thing is amazing at identifying coins. After a little use you pretty well know what your digging before you start. Especially for the price your talking about.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Heavy, tell me two things: where do you hunt (what state) and what do you typically hunt for?

Heavy32

Aug 10, 2010
SETX
Detector(s) used
excalibur II, x-terra 30
Smudge, I live in SouthEast Texas and most of my hunts are at schools, parks, old homes... Dont make it to the beach (twice a year?) as often as Id like but still find some cool stuff. The M6 is starting to sound like a solid choice. What do you think?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread