Garrett Infinium LS question

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Usually it doesn't discard, but there are exceptions. Depends on the settings for the area your detecting. Some other location, things might be different. I have hardly seen a Minelab fooled.

Sandman

flagold

Aug 3, 2004
The Infinium will ignore sands, but can be fooled by small bits of wire (for which you run a check with discrimination (and it's accurate). There is so much misinformation on the Infinium out there, the best thing you can do is go to the Infinium website look over the past posts (warning: there's some ringer posts in there from other manufacturers trying to kill the machine (they're easy to spot).

>>100% Infinium Board<<

oldestjim

Sep 5, 2004
Southern California
flagold... you are absolutely correct. One poster really was very active putting down the LS; at the same time he was selling another brand on another forum. It would have not been so bad, but he kept claiming he was an authorized Gxxxxxx dealer. Why would anyone do this?

flagold

Aug 3, 2004
Greed. The simpletons think that by downing one brand they'll sell more of their own, when the fact is they simply confuse things to the point people don't buy either . . . (as he found out, I note he's no longer a "dealer" for any metal detectors at all on his website). The world turns.

You can tell when you've got a real good detector by how hard they try to kill it off. There's room for all of them, and all of them have their unique places where they excell.

Earl

Sep 16, 2004
Hello, Buffalo Earl here. I have owned an infinium for about 6 months. I live in the desert and it is alkali and black sand. Very tough ground for any detector. This ground seperates the wheat from the chaf. The infinium works well out here and it goes deep. It is a different machine to learn. Forget everything you ever knew about a vlf machine as it does not apply to the infinium. I don't often use the stock coil because of weight and some falsing problems due to the harsh ground out here. I love the 5x10 DD coil and the little 3x7 coil. On the forums the 8 inch mono coil seems to be the one most folks like for the beach. You take your time ground balancing it, only raise the coil up about 3 inches off the ground and back down to 1/2 inch. Do this very slowly as your ground balancing as the garret is very slow to react. Do this in fast track for 3 or 4 minutes then switch to slow track and do the same procedure. Then keep the coil low low low to the ground almost scrubbing the ground. PI detectors do not like air space between the coil and the ground. In a vlf detector if you have the coil an inch too high above the ground you lose an inch of depth. Try the same thing with a PI machine and for every inch you are high you lose about 4 inches of depth. Also swing the coil very slow. If you try the old vlf swing you will get a lot of falsing and will miss targets. If you still get some falsing then turn the disc up to 1 or 2 never go beyond 3. If you have falsing slow the sweep speed first before the disc. The Infinium has a very slow self adjusting threshhold that is not adjustable so you have to go slow on the sweep speed depending on the ground mineralization. Low mineralization you can use a little higher sweep speed but in bad ground low and slow is the word. I hope this helps. This is basically a good detector and you need to learn it as it has its little quirks. This machine has some great potential for someone who has the patience to really learn what the machine is telling them. No I am not a dealer but I have gone thru these frustrations myself and am slowly learning the machine and the more I use it the better I like it. Just my 2 cents. If you are going to throw yours away throw it my way. Buffalo Earl

oldestjim

Sep 5, 2004
Southern California
flagold and Earl...

flagold... you may know of the "dealer?" I noticed he is now posting positively
on "minelab-oriented" websites.

Earl... thanks for the info... I'm all ears.

flagold

Aug 3, 2004
flagold... you may know of the "dealer?" I noticed he is now posting positively
on "minelab-oriented" websites.

Yep.

And just to be clear to the rest of this forum -- I own the Minelab 2200D, Goldbug II, MXT, and Infinium. They all have their uses (try scanning a river bottom for nuggets with a Minelab and see what happens -- try buying an Infinium for large coil selection and see what happens). Some of the shenanagins you see with these companies (all of them) and their dealers posting on boards with false information makes you wonder. If I find a dealer is doing this -- I won't buy from them no matter what.

The Infinium is good, does exactly what it was designed to do (find nuggets in extreme soil), and, with some patience and learning, can be turned into the deepest water jewelry unit you'll ever hold in your hands (nothing else even close). Has to be toned down a bit because it is so sensitive looking for nuggets it will "hear" the salt content of waves and false if not tuned down. A detuned Infinium is no impediment as it is still so sensitive it will blow anything else away. Negative: no "iron mask" although there is an iron check feature that does work. Gives a low-high tone for iron (silver coins fall into this range as well) and a high/low for gold (aluminum falls into this range as well as does platinum).

If a person is looking for the "silent" running type detector -- get a Minelab Excalibur (I have one too), that's the best of the masking water detectors (but in no way will come close to an Infinium's depth) in my opinion. For half the cost, there is a certain way an XL-500 can be set up to run silent, but again, the machine has to be learned, and you have to trust it.

Good luck out there no matter what you choose to use.

oldestjim

Sep 5, 2004
Southern California
Gosh everyone... such great information. I visit around the various forums and am impressed by the knowledge that is freely given. It is a "win-win" for all of us.
Up to recently I only used the 10x14 DD. However, I did well with it working a scraping in Nevada. The VLF's just couldn't make the trip as far as depth, but
were vaccuming up the shallow flakes. The Infinium/10x14 DD seemed to have
the depth, but lacked sensitivity toward the bits.

Looking back, it might have been advantageous to have used the 8-inch mono as it has surprising depth. But the downside is the coverage of the larger DD in respect to the smaller Mono.

??? Who Knows??? But between the VLF- and the PI's I believe nearly all of the detectable gold. was recovered.

flagold

Aug 3, 2004
to have used the 8-inch mono as it has surprising depth.

This is my favorite coil with the Infinium and Sea Hunter as well. That 8" mono has depth all out of proportion to its size and is extremely sensitive. As an added bonus, you simply flip it on its side to pinpoint a target easily. I have/do use the larger DD for beach scanning when I want to cover more ground with each sweep and have found bits of .22 bullets with it as well. The negative underwater is it is hot on the center spoke and you can't pinpoint easily like you can with the 8" mono.

oldestjim

Sep 5, 2004
Southern California
At present I do not have the 10x14- inch mono, so this is why I use the 8- inch mono.
However, I think(?) the 10x14 mono would be a good choice at ocean beaches.

Phil at the Centre has posted a method of how to setup the LS. When I had my 2200d
for gold hunting I found it important to set and check for the quietest frequency. Also to run the lead wire straight up the shaft and keep it from moving with electrical tape as needed.

klopek

Oct 28, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Minelab Excalibur II
wont the sea hunter mark II do everything the infinium will do at half the cost? aren't pi's pi's? I have a seahunter and love it goes deep doesn't false and has a rock steady threshold in discrete elimination mode.

oldestjim

Sep 5, 2004
Southern California
klopeck... I do not know... never used the sea hunter. But I understand the searchcoils are different than the Infinium(?)... I was told they won't boot
up(?) and could damage(?) the Infinium

PI's are not PI's and VLF's are not VLF's. This thead is old... I hope someone
smarter than me (about everyone is) will answer your question.

However, does your Sea Hunter have automatic ground balancing and tracking?
The Infinium does. This may answer you question...?

There is an Infinum forum... it is in Australia but many posters are from all over.
Can any one post the link to it? But I believe the link was posted earlier.

oldestjim

Sep 5, 2004
Southern California
Gosh... I got a personal message through this forum asking how to get in touch with Phil to set up the Infinium. I cannot repy other then by posting this. Sorry to be so dumb. Not computer savvy.

The link is posted in the message just before this one by Eu citzn. All anyone needs
to know about the Infinium has been posted in this forum over the last couple of years... Phil is the administrator.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah I did notice it now, I am also a member there.
My next detector will be a Infinium.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions