Garrett Infinium vs Minelab Excalibur which is better for diving underwater?

makahaman

Sep 22, 2006
Northshore, Hawaiian Islands
Hi everyone I was wondering which machine would suit my needs for diving underwater. I have a Surf PI from Whites and I usually find alot with it but I am looking to purchase another machine. How does the Infinium compare to the Minelab Excalibur? I am looking for depth and ease of use I hate having a machine that is very hard to use because I get very frustrated if it gets to difficult. Any help with the pros and cons are much appreciated!! Aloha ;D

Upvote 0

Hangingfor8

Dec 16, 2007
New Smyrna Beach, Florida 32168
Detector(s) used
Minelab and Aquapulse
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The Minelab is the better machine, but if you get frustrated easily you might want to recondsider. You have to learn how to tune it and how the tones sound. If you don't take the time to learn it you'll hate it.... But, if you do learn it you will love it. I love mine and it's the best money I ever spent. I wouldn't have anything else.

Indasurf

Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, White's BHID 300, Fisher CZ20, Fisher CZ 6A, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300, Tesoro Silver Sabre Plus, White's 5900 DI Pro SL, and others!
If diving is the question, not too much trash out there, I really doubt anything can beat a PI machine for depth and stability especially in tough black sand!

I don't think there's a deeper punching machine for diving then the Infinium and it's built like a tank!
Also, don't forget about the multiple coils you can change on the fly (IMHO)!

You need to remember that both of the machines you've listed have learning curves (to really learn what the detector is telling you).
They are professional machines and will take time to learn. If you get frustrated very easily, then I'm not really sure what I'd recommend.

Good luck with whatever machines you decide to go with!!! ;)

TonyinCT

Mar 14, 2006
Granby, CT
Since digging trash wastes air, I reccomend the Excal since you can adjust the discrimination on it.
TonyinCT
TC Metal Detectors

Hangingfor8

Dec 16, 2007
New Smyrna Beach, Florida 32168
Detector(s) used
Minelab and Aquapulse
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Thats a good point about switching coils on the fly....But then again I use just the upgraded coil I put on. I guess it's just a matter of what fits you and your needs. Good luck.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I posted before that Tony from TC detectors don't like the infinium and mabe Garrett detectors......I don't know why......... If you want depth in salt water you want the Infinium.............==Jim==

TonyinCT

Mar 14, 2006
Granby, CT
First of all I am no toy Roachnjim ;D
Where does it ever say that I don't like Garrett Detectors? An opinion was asked and you're getting testy because I didn't go along with your opinion ? In my experience and the people I know that dive, they will not go under with a detector that has no or limited discrimination. If someone wants to that's fine, but the fact is you WILL dig more junk and waste air doing it.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
TonyinCT said:
First of all I am no toy Roachnjim ;D
Where does it ever say that I don't like Garrett Detectors? An opinion was asked and you're getting testy because I didn't go along with your opinion ? In my experience and the people I know that dive, they will not go under with a detector that has no or limited discrimination. If someone wants to that's fine, but the fact is you WILL dig more junk and waste air doing it.
I forgot to put the n in Tony but now i put it in sorry........I saw on another forum were you did not like the Infinium so i took to much for granted about you & Garrett detectors...........sorry..........==Jim==

TonyinCT

Mar 14, 2006
Granby, CT
Hey no poblem and you don't have to be sorry. I'm glad you are passionate about treasure hunting and that you love your detector. :) I'm cool with you. 8)

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am still a newbie at detecting, that said I have met 3 hunters that were using PIs while hunting when I met them. They all eventually got rid of them because they got tired of digging huge holes for bobbypins. Two of them got Excals, the third sold his PI but did nto buy another detector, he had family obligations. They would call me over and ask me to scan the targets with my excal, targets would null out both directions, but they kept digging to see. It never failed to be iron.

Just an observation, is all..............

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread