GARRETT PRO POINTER ACTING UP

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hello everybody i have a garrett pro pointer ive owned it for a couple weeks now the last couple times ive taken it out it has acted up beeping by itself and stuff anybody have this problem with it is it maybe minerals on it or something when i wipe it off sometimes it stops

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first indication of a battery getting low is erratic beeping. Then after several more hours, it will go to a high low tone indicating the battery is done. Try a new battery and see if the problem goes away. Also make sure the tiny foam piece is in the cap, it helps to keep pressure on the battery contacts.

The Pro-Pointer will also sometimes beep when pressed hard into the ground.

OP
OP
sonofadigger

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks i always keep fresh batteries on me and ive replaced them when it does that but sometimes it still does it so im not sure why it does it

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
Mine did the same thing even with a new battery..I never abused it or got it wet..I just threw it in the garbage.

OP
OP
sonofadigger

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have a two year warranty so im wondering if i should send it in for a new one

larryjfr

Apr 30, 2012
pasco, wa.
Detector(s) used
MINELAB x-terra 705 w/ 7.5 and 18.75 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I resolved the same problem. remove the screws so you can open it. Then you will see a screw that can be turned. While the dector is on turn the sensitivity up than back down to your normal mode. Then move your pinpointer up and down close to a coin as you normally do. now comes the fix. The sensitivity setting inside the chip is not calibrated corectely. slowley turn the screw so that the beebing stops. play with it a bit until you are satisfied. Hope this works for you.

baylorhall

Nov 17, 2008
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would never throw mine away! I took it in and they replaced it for free. Garrett has great customer service. Give them a call and they will tell you what you need to do. I LOVE my pro pointer.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes never throw it away .... Send it to Garrett with a note they will more than likely send you a new one.... Most of the time Garrett will just replace your old one with a new one...... Don't throw it away That would be like throwing a $125.00 in the trash ...... They are the best pin pointers out there just get it replaced.... Garrett has one of the best service dept's out there...

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes never throw it away .... Send it to Garrett with a note they will more than likely send you a new one.... Most of the time Garrett will just replace your old one with a new one...... Don't throw it away That would be like throwing a $125.00 in the trash ...... They are the best pin pointers out there just get it replaced.... Garrett has one of the best service dept's out there...

If they are the "BEST" pinpointers out there, then why do so many people have issues with them? Problems with switches and other headaches, like this one....If you have to take it apart in order to calibrate it yourself as one member suggested, then it wasn't properly built in the first place. Yes, they are popular. The Vibraprobe, for example, is waterproof to 100 feet and vibrates only. I'm not saying it is the best, as to each his own....but to say one pinpointer is the best is a broad statement.

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
There are many positive things said about the Propointer...it also has more complaints than any other pinpointer too.

OP
OP
sonofadigger

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they are the "BEST" pinpointers out there, then why do so many people have issues with them? Problems with switches and other headaches, like this one....If you have to take it apart in order to calibrate it yourself as one member suggested, then it wasn't properly built in the first place. Yes, they are popular. The Vibraprobe, for example, is waterproof to 100 feet and vibrates only. I'm not saying it is the best, as to each his own....but to say one pinpointer is the best is a broad statement.

this is the only pointer i have ever used so to me its really good when it works but if there is better i wouldnt know i sent it off to have it fixed so hopefully in a week or two i can get it back i miss it already lol

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
this is the only pointer i have ever used so to me its really good when it works but if there is better i wouldnt know i sent it off to have it fixed so hopefully in a week or two i can get it back i miss it already lol

When they work they work well. It always got interference though when using my Whites detector.

OP
OP
sonofadigger

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine would beep and just keep beeping without being near anything to the point of not being able to use it and its brand new

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it is not your battery and you tried everything else that the other members suggested, then you may have to send it back to the factory. It may be a pain and you may have to wait awhile before you get it repaired or a replacement but that is what your warranty is for. Maybe you will get a replacement without any problems. Good Luck!

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There are many positive things said about the Propointer...it also has more complaints than any other pinpointer too.

Hate to say it, but more people like Garrett than you think, as for complaints, I've seen and heard more complaints about Harbor Freight than anything else, Chug has a Garrett and we are waiting for mine, we will use no other! Red

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I may be a noob to detecting only a month so far but i didnt even stick my fisher cheapy in the dirt after seeing a pro pointer and its all im going to use untill i see something better

mario1972

Greenie
Jul 25, 2011
Detector(s) used
Garett At Pro International NEL HUNTER 8.5x12.5 DD ,5x8DD,Propointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garrett Propointer

That is right my brand new propointer gone to past after 3 months . It was power switch -cheap piece of junk :BangHead: - surprise from Garrett .:thumb_down:
Best Regards Mario

SkySgt

Jan 19, 2014
Cibolo, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX (PI) and Garrett Ace 350 (VLF) detectors.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jump two years after the last post in this thread ....

Mine is currently doing the same thing. I'll be using it to sniff around in the dirt and it will start chirping and vibrating wildly. I then remove it from the dirt to look and see what's there, but the Pro-Pointer keeps chirping wildly. I then hold it way above my head (far away from any metal in the area) but it still won't stop! The only way to get it to stop is to recycle power. It does this many times, every time I've used it.

Got it Christmas, so it is still under warranty. Called the Garrett Hobby Division today and they issued me an RMA number, to send it back to them. My only gripe is that I have to pay the shipping fee to get it to them. I know this may be SOP with many manufacturers, but ammunition manufacturers (at least the ones I've dealt with) will send a prepaid mailing label to ship ammunition back to them, if there is an issue with their product.

At any rate, I will be sending it back to Garrett this week for a resolution of this issue. I have no doubt that they will handle things to my satisfaction.

Last edited:

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm on my second one and it is doing the same as the first falsing and being a pain in the you know what. I convinced if I send this one in I'll just be dealing with the same issue again. No thanks

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Jump two years after the last post in this thread ....

Mine is currently doing the same thing. I'll be using it to sniff around in the dirt and it will start chirping and vibrating wildly. I then remove it from the dirt to look and see what's there, but the Pro-Pointer keeps chirping wildly. I then hold it way above my head (far away from any metal in the area) but it still won't stop! The only way to get it to stop is to recycle power. It does this many times, every time I've used it.

Got it Christmas, so it is still under warranty. Called the Garrett Hobby Division today and they issued me an RMA number, to send it back to them. My only gripe is that I have to pay the shipping fee to get it to them. I know this may be SOP with many manufacturers, but ammunition manufacturers (at least the ones I've dealt with) will send a prepaid mailing label to ship ammunition back to them, if there is an issue with their product.

At any rate, I will be sending it back to Garrett this week for a resolution of this issue. I have no doubt that they will handle things to my satisfaction.

Called the Garrett Hobby Division today and they issued me an RMA number, to send it back to them. My only gripe is that I have to pay the shipping fee to get it to them.

An RMA from Garrets means they pay the shipping both ways. Someone tell me if I am wrong.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread