GARRETT PRO POINTER ACTING UP

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
I'm on my second one and it is doing the same as the first falsing and being a pain in the you know what. I convinced if I send this one in I'll just be dealing with the same issue again. No thanks

I gotta ask a question about your operation style when using the Pro Pointer. Say that you hit a signal and withdraw the Garretts to PP. You turn it on, right? It isn't left on from the last dig, right? I assume not. Then you logically turn the PP on and probe the signal. Is this where it goes bezerk, or it is when you maybe lay the "Left-on-ProPointer" on the ground besude the hole for some time while digging more, and then minutes later find the PP going nuts.

I turn mine on and off probably 3-4 times on on each dig. The Pro Pointer is always doing it's own GB if left on for long periods and will go nuts like that.. martin

Last edited:

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Called the Garrett Hobby Division today and they issued me an RMA number, to send it back to them. My only gripe is that I have to pay the shipping fee to get it to them.

An RMA from Garrets means they pay the shipping both ways. Someone tell me if I am wrong.
M ckinney, sometimes they will send a prepaid label - its generally within the first 30 days on a new unit. I'd wait a day and see they email you a label. If not, you can send it priority mail for $10 +-.

Wayne

SkySgt

Jan 19, 2014
Cibolo, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX (PI) and Garrett Ace 350 (VLF) detectors.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Evidently, they ain't paying for mine!

The lady at Garrett issued me the number over the phone, and I then asked how to get it to them. She said to package it up and send it to their 1881 W. State St. address in Garland, TX. She told me to make sure the RMA number was on outside and inside of the package. Doesn't sound to me like they are paying for me to get it there.

RMA numbers I've received from other manufacturers in the past, were sent to me via email so I could print it on my home printer, or have it printed out and attached to my package at the UPS/FedEx mail center. Those RMAs included the shipping fee.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Evidently, they ain't paying for mine!

The lady at Garrett issued me the number over the phone, and I then asked how to get it to them. She said to package it up and send it to their 1881 W. State St. address in Garland, TX. She told me to make sure the RMA number was on outside and inside of the package. Doesn't sound to me like they are paying for me to get it there.

RMA numbers I've received from other manufacturers in the past, were sent to me via email so I could print it on my home printer, or have it printed out and attached to my package at the UPS/FedEx mail center. Those RMAs included the shipping fee.

Garretts dropped the ball without the pre printed shipping label. BAD on them!

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
I'm on my second one and it is doing the same as the first falsing and being a pain in the you know what. I convinced if I send this one in I'll just be dealing with the same issue again. No thanks

Well looks who's here, stirring up even more negativity about Garretts.....This isn't the first time you have gone out of your way to find a thread with a negative post and hijacked it to stir up even more discontent on this Garrett Forum. That's the downside of a forum with floating responses. It's easy to keep negative posts always in circulation. Kind of fits your personality, doesn't it? There are a lot of folks watching you. Be carefull!

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well looks who's here, stirring up even more negativity about Garretts.....This isn't the first time you have gone out of your way to find a thread with a negative post and hijacked it to stir up even more discontent on this Garrett Forum. That's the downside of a forum with floating responses. It's easy to keep negative posts always in circulation. Kind of fits your personality, doesn't it? There are a lot of folks watching you. Be carefull!
Hijacked, I guess if you have a problem with the pinpointer just keep my mouth shut. I get it.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Hijacked, I guess if you have a problem with the pinpointer just keep my mouth shut. I get it.

That might be a good place to start. You lack any credibility on Garrett Forums. Do whatever you think is best.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I gotta ask a question about your operation style when using the Pro Pointer. Say that you hit a signal and withdraw the Garretts to PP. You turn it on, right? It isn't left on from the last dig, right? I assume not. Then you logically turn the PP on and probe the signal. Is this where it goes bezerk, or it is when you maybe lay the "Left-on-ProPointer" on the ground besude the hole for some time while digging more, and then minutes later find the PP going nuts.

I turn mine on and off probably 3-4 times on on each dig. The Pro Pointer is always doing it's own GB if left on for long periods and will go nuts like that.. martin
When I turn it on it just beeps constantly until I wack it on something hard. It works for a while after I wack it on something but I know this won't work forever.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I turn it on it just beeps constantly until I wack it on something hard. It works for a while after I wack it on something but I know this won't work forever.

Did you try wacking it on some bottle caps?

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you try wacking it on some bottle caps?
here he is with his bottle cap statements. Haven't you learned how to use that ace 350 yet dusty? I could tell the difference with my 350 most of the time and almost never get fooled with the at pro. You should sell that 350 to someone and buy another machine so you can complain about that company! Gets old dusty.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im never selling it...its going to clear the caps of all my new hunting spots

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im never selling it...its going to clear the caps of all my new hunting spots
i would tell you how to know if you are detecting a bottle cap and not a coin but I'm sure you have read enough post or already now how so I won't waste my time. You are so negative about your 350 and let people know all the time yet you still own it and find coins. If I was that dissatisfied with a detector I would not have it and the hobby wouldn't be fun anymore so to me you just like to post negative comments and start fights. Probably just your personality. Good luck

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So far so good with my pin pointer. Considering I have water proofed it and take it under water. I thought I would have ruined it by now but it's still ticking. It is by far one of the most popular with hunters so it seems. I am sure any company has defective products on occasion. That is life!

Sounded like a battery problem to me Sonofadigger.

Last edited:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I have had my Garrett pro pointer since they first came out and it still works great.. Like i said about Garretts Pro pointer and the AT Pro before .. Is they will have some with problems that you will hear about .. The reason they have sold more pinpointers and At Pros detectors than any other company sold of there detectors . They are out selling all other detector companies and still giving great service ..…..

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 / TESORO SAND SHARK / CZ 21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got 2 ....

1st on went on the blink after 7 months...bought another... that is going on the blink also.

Only way I can get them to work is to take the top off / battery out / rubber plug out and let it dry out for a day.

Then it works for a couple days then same thing again.

Not just me either...my hunting partner has brand new one at Xmas....it is screwing up already.

Love the pointer when it is working properly.... but boy is it ever frustrating when u trying to find something in the dirt and it won,t work .

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got 2 .... 1st on went on the blink after 7 months...bought another... that is going on the blink also. Only way I can get them to work is to take the top off / battery out / rubber plug out and let it dry out for a day. Then it works for a couple days then same thing again. Not just me either...my hunting partner has brand new one at Xmas....it is screwing up already. Love the pointer when it is working properly.... but boy is it ever frustrating when u trying to find something in the dirt and it won,t work .
how is it getting moister in it. I put tape over speaker and use it in the mud a lot. I don't use it when water hunting.

OP
OP
sonofadigger

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow this thread is still going..lol...it was a faulty pinpointer they sent me a new one and it's been great ever since

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow this thread is still going..lol...it was a faulty pinpointer they sent me a new one and it's been great ever since
lol someone started it up again. Funny how this happens sometimes. Glad to see you are still on tnet and still in the hobby.

OP
OP
sonofadigger

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol someone started it up again. Funny how this happens sometimes. Glad to see you are still on tnet and still in the hobby.

I've never left just do more lurking than posting now and I'm hooked for life on detecting it's one of those things I will do till I can't do it anymore lol

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never left just do more lurking than posting now and I'm hooked for life on detecting it's one of those things I will do till I can't do it anymore lol
I will be doing this hobby till I can't anymore also. I detected on and off with a cheap detector since the early 90s but jumped in with both feet in 2012 and haven't looked back. It took getting the ace 350 to get me hooked now I swing the at pro and love it. Might get a gold or who knows may just get crazy (if wife allows it) lol and get the atx instead to go with my pro. I can't see ever getting rid of the pro would just like another detector to play with. Good luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread