Garrett Sea Hunter 2?

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
What's everyones opinion on the Garrett Sea Hunter 2? I read some pretty good reviews for fresh and salt water at a reasonable price. Any experiences or thoughts would be appreciated. I am hoping to by a water detector soon or this winter at the latest, so I am trying to do my homework now. Thanks

I do see that this a PI detector and as said in another post, may not be a good choice for fresh water?

Upvote 0

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Solid and built like a tank. Good value for the money on that score. It was designed as a dive unit and has been a standard in the open water diving arena for years. It has a loud audio because of its underwater intent; it has no volume adjustment. There is no stock coil cover since it wasnt intended to be a sand scraper, so you'll want to get some marine epoxy for the coil. It is best used as a chest or hip mount unit, but under the forearm works, too.

As a salt water beach detector...well, it's a PI - so it likes all targets. Especially iron/steel. This means you dig a lot, and move plenty of sand for hair pins and ferrous dingle-berries. Sure, it responds as any machine will to aluminum and gold - but it has next to no iron DISC. Since there arent many earring backs and 14K chains out on wreck dive sites, its not designed to be overly sensitive to the small stuff, either. Rings, coins, pendants and that sort of stuff are it's bread and butter...which aint bad.

A few folks here show some nice stuff found with their SH MkII's and many a surf pirate started with one; some still use theirs. But, it seems that its not long before these same SH users have gotten an Excal or CZ....

JoeinMemphis

Apr 21, 2007
Oakland Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Minelab Excalibur II
It is a PI, and you will be digging every little piece of iron/steel on the beach. If it was me, and I wanted a fresh water machine, I would be looking at a VLF with descrimination. I have a Tiger Shark, and I like it very much in fresh water. I am currently looking at the Excalibur for the salt water. HH Joe

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
See now, that right there is some good thinking on Joes part.

The marine shore and freshwater are really two vastly different environments. To maximize the potential, a detector that really has proven to specialize in one or the other is the best option. Tiger Shark/Excal is the same combo I came up with, some time ago. Great minds think alike, it seems.

Cant afford the both of them? Get the Excal or a CZ-20/21.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread