lawman0210

Jan 6, 2007
Edgewood, MD
Detector(s) used
Garret ATI Pro, Ace 250 ATI Gold, Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garrett's proprietary plug VS stereo plug

I bought a set of Grey Ghosts for my AT buy just got a Gold. One of my most frustrating things with this style detector is aligning the plugs and screwing the coil and headphones in. The plugs are so close to the body. I have the garrett plug adapter to switch it to a stereo plug for land use. So I have a few questions.

1. Am I losing any quality or sensitivity by converting over?
2. Is the grey ghost much better then the set set with the detector?
3. Are there more suited headphones?
4. The ghosts I have only have 1 single knob are the dual control/buttons offered much better?

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
I bought a set of Grey Ghosts for my AT buy just got a Gold. One of my most frustrating things with this style detector is aligning the plugs and screwing the coil and headphones in. The plugs are so close to the body. I have the garrett plug adapter to switch it to a stereo plug for land use. So I have a few questions.

1. Am I losing any quality or sensitivity by converting over?
2. Is the grey ghost much better then the set set with the detector?
3. Are there more suited headphones?
4. The ghosts I have only have 1 single knob are the dual control/buttons offered much better?

Lawnman, everybody hates the connectors, but they work and they dont leak. I will try to help you.

1. Losing quality of detector performance? No, you dont sacrifice tecter performance by changing phones. In your case, you simply upgraded phones.
2. I assume you are talking about the GG Waterproof AT phones. Well, they probably are not a heck of a lot better than Garrett's waterproof phones. But they are a lot better than the garrett stock phones you get in the box. Those are el cheapos.
3. Anything is better than garret stock el cheapo crap phones for land use. AFAIK, only Garrett and GG offer waterproof phones for AT.
4. The dual knobs are for guys and gals with a hearing deficit in one ear, they can make one speaker louder than the other.

Last edited:
OP
OP
lawman0210

lawman0210

Jan 6, 2007
Edgewood, MD
Detector(s) used
Garret ATI Pro, Ace 250 ATI Gold, Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess once you install the 1/4 inch plug conversion you will need to take it back off to use in water. They have you run the cord under the grip. I may just strap it to the grip so if I decide to hit the surf I don't have to pull it through. Do they make water proof end caps for both sides of the converter plug so u could just disconnect and plug during water use?

pkb

Feb 10, 2013
Dallas
Detector(s) used
Two Garrett AT PRO's, two Garrett pro pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've beat the crap out of the OEM AT pro headphones for the past two years and they are still going strong. But I did buy a back up pair at the same time I bought my Pro. Don't let the cheap looks of them fool you. Good bang for the buck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread