Gas station near my house saved me some silver!

red89

Feb 28, 2012
'Murica
Primary Interest:
Other
Silver certificate that is. I went to get some gas today at a gas station that I have recieved some silver coins from in the past, and asked the cashier if they had any old coins. He said "No coins today, but I have this." He pulled out a 1957a silver certificate one dollar bill and handed it to me to look at. It is pretty worn, and there is a few tiny holes in it (smaller than a needle) but no tares in the bill at all. I gave him $1.50 for it since he saved it for me. It's probably not worth much more than what I got it from him for, but I don't mind buying it from him since he saves other stuff for me too. I don't collect paper money that much other than what my dad handed down to me, but I think I might start.

Upvote 0

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
I've got two gas stations, the local pool concession stand, and the local ice cream shop saving coins for me. Kids tend to spend a lot of silver halves from mom and dads coin collection to get ice cream. Havent got any silver dollars yet but lots of silver quarters, halves, gold dollars, and a few silver certificates. I get to buy them at $2 each at the gas stations (regardless of denomination except the gold dollars) and at the pool and ice cream shop I get them at face since they know my dad well.

CRHQueen

Jun 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a teller save me a 57B Silver Cert the other day. I was very pleased! It pays to be nice to the tellers!

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I've never gotten a silver certificate before! The oldest bills I've got are a 1963A $1 and a 1963B $1 (within about a week of each other) when I was working my retail job. That's the only thing I miss about not being there is missing out on all of the good stuff in the register. :(

dustywallen

May 18, 2012
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and 350. Currently AT PRO.
I trade at the same gas station all the time. Went in one morning and the cashier ask if I collect coins I said Yep. He pulled a box out and bam! 4 1964 Kennedy he said What they worth I said round $10 a coin needless to say I walked away with them way less than $10. Went back a couple days later and he had more. Guess it shows people still pay with them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread