Gators and the Tide

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
I HAVE DISCOVERED SOMETHIONG THAT I FEEL IS IMPORTANT.
When diving in a river that has a tide. You will notice that there are NO gators to be seen.
It seems that when the tide goes out the small side creeks drain away and leves nothing but mud. BUT when the tide comes back in it is time to look for fresh food.
I noticed this the last time I was looking for the GHOST SHIP.
The area that I am searching has a tide of over 4 feet from low to high.
I checked this out with the State Fish and Game people. They had never heard of this before and intend to check this out.
Concerning the 2nd ship wreck:
This may be a working ship. I have no idea until it is checked out. But I can tell you that there is a very good chance that this wreck predates the Civil War. I think it may be around the early 1800's.
It is easy to get to because during low tide it is about 6' under water.
Gotta go and do some work.
The scan also shows a number of man made items laying on the bottom.
Anyone interested let me know.
Thanks
Peg Leg

J

jerseybones

Hi PegLeg, Have done some gator-baiting in S.C. and agree with you. They come out to feed during slack and incoming tides. Although I have seen some in the outgoing tide that just swam right by me. I think the were just traveling and hitched a ride on the flow. Good Hunting, Ken (ps this applies to tidal rivers only) imho.

FMarion2ndRegSC

Sep 14, 2006
I dive the Cooper River in SC frequently. We don't see gators moving around actively on the outgoing tide because they are laying-in-wait at the bottom of the small creeks and ditches coming off the rice fields on the edge of the main river. I've seen it many times. They only pop up long enough to catch a breath. They do this because they don't have to expend any energy chasing prey. They just snap it up as it drains by. Either way, they are tied up feeding and won't usually fool with you because they are stationary until the tide quits running or they get full.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread