gault

MonDak

Jan 5, 2006
I have attributed this token to Sheridan Wy. Gault & Carr were issued a liquor license by the city of Sheridan in
1906. In 1907 their license was revoked for permitting lewed and immoral women to purchase and drink
intoxicating liquors in their establishment and for selling malt liquor and beer on Sundays.

The token isn't listed in the Wyoming token book so maybe I found the only one known to exist.

Attachments

• P1000484.JPG
    P1000484.JPG
    24.8 KB · Views: 106

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice find and great research! How about posting your info on TokenCatalog.com for the good of the hobby? Ah! Nevermind - I see it is there. Thanks!

It is interesting to note that the token says Gualt, not Gault. That error could have been made at several different places along the line, but the guy who "cut the die" where the token was manufactured (this looks to me like it is from a Chicago-area manufacturer) usually gets the blame for punching the letters incorrectly. BTW, the 1907 Sheridan City Directory shows Harry Carr - Saloon at Monarch.

John in the Great 208

Last edited:

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Mondak - new (old) information shows this to be from Monarch, rather than Sheridan. I put the details on tokencatalog.com
John in the Great 208

OP
OP
MonDak

MonDak

Jan 5, 2006
Nice find and great research! How about posting your info on TokenCatalog.com for the good of the hobby? Ah! Nevermind - I see it is there. Thanks!

It is interesting to note that the token says Gualt, not Gault. That error could have been made at several different places along the line, but the guy who "cut the die" where the token was manufactured (this looks to me like it is from a Chicago-area manufacturer) usually gets the blame for punching the letters incorrectly. BTW, the 1907 Sheridan City Directory shows Harry Carr - Saloon at Monarch.

John in the Great 208

Maybe I don't have this nailed down yet and will have to do some more research. Since I posted this I've
seen that in Nov. 1907, the fixtures of their place in Sheridan were removed to Monarch, so the token
could have been from either place.

texasvarmit

Oct 6, 2006
Texas and Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT gold, Fisher CZ5 quicksilver, Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ah - the plot thickens! What issue in Nov 1907?
John
I agree with Idahotokens, great find :icon_thumleft: and great research for both of you. I have always wondered if some of those old saloon keepers made their tokens without a town name on the token, just in case they moved to a different town....they could keep using the same tokens as the last town.

the error on the guys name spelling....is always a bug-a-boo, confusing! Just makes the detective work all the more fun though.
cool.gif

OP
OP
MonDak

MonDak

Jan 5, 2006
Gault & carr were evidently scoundrels, here's another article I found in the Sheridan Post Feb. 24th 1911.

GAULT PLEADS GUILTY
Charged with selling liquor without,
alicense, Robert Qault ol Monarch
entered a plea of guilty when arraign
ed In the District court. Tuesday afternoon
and received a fine of $150 and
costs. He was arrested earlier in the
day by Deputy Sheriff W. It. Vcuch
and
County Attorney 1) L. Gogerty.
who caught him In the act of serving
a glass of liquor to a customer.