gave a coin and tips to a teller, good or bad

thing

Aug 8, 2009
I was in a chase I never go to to dump 1000. And this 20ish teller asks me if there were any old ones. My first response was you shouldn't ask that you could tip people off to what you are doing. She had apparently found 5 Carson City morgans in great condition, and that got her started. I told her about edge searching, why halves are still your best bet for silver (in LA anyways), road trips and what years to look for (she didn't know of the difference between 90% and 40% coins) and of course I told her about this web site. I showed her some proof coins I had with me (she didn't know about them) and I gave her the one she mentioned was her birth year.

Interested to hear some opinions from other members

FYI when I dump coins I tell people up front exactly what I am doing if I am asked

Upvote 0

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I definitely would not have done that. You just gave yourself competition.

OP
OP
T

thing

Aug 8, 2009
I have considered that competition is a possibility, but since pickings are so small these days, i doubt one more hunter will change things much. Plus I think I will have an easy time doing small scale dumps at this bank

44_Dimes

Jul 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I told a teller about silver a month or two ago. She was asking all sorts of questions when I cleaned all $320 of Cwr dimes that they had. She was currently the only teller at that bank, and she was very nice and helpful. She did not seem to be the type to actually search the rolls that are turned in just what is in her tray. My hope was that she might give me some silver every now and then or sell it to me at a good price. She seemed interested in selling the coins at a store, so I am hoping that I will get a good price. I have not been back there since but I am going there tomorrow, so I will see if it was a good decision or not.

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
Maybe you could make up a little flyer or booklet that you could hand out at all the banks explaining to the Tellers how they just might possibly be able to become the very best Cherry Pickers in the State or even the entire country if they learn and follow the basic information you are trying to bestow. As long as the pickings are so small already, then you may as well teach every Teller everything there is to know about silver. As long as you are telling everyone up front exactly what you are doing, then one more new Teller/Hunter besides everyone else shouldn't matter, much. Make sure that you include all the websites that might help them search and inform them about the true value of the silver that they might possibly have been letting slip right through their own fingers only to end up back into boxes. Maybe you could even add a small section of places such as Amazon.com, Best Buy, and Walmart where they can spend that new found money once they have converted their silver into cash. Then I am sure that they will be more than glad to see you when you come in with your small scale dumps. They may even ask, "Are you still doing this, too?"

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
You just screwed all the CRH'ers in LA that use that branch, and perhaps more if she shares her information with her coworkers.

By all means be helpful and honest, but there is a difference between honesty and telling everything you know.

Last edited:

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was in a chase I never go to to dump 1000. And this 20ish teller asks me if there were any old ones. My first response was you shouldn't ask that you could tip people off to what you are doing. She had apparently found 5 Carson City morgans in great condition, and that got her started. I told her about edge searching, why halves are still your best bet for silver (in LA anyways), road trips and what years to look for (she didn't know of the difference between 90% and 40% coins) and of course I told her about this web site. I showed her some proof coins I had with me (she didn't know about them) and I gave her the one she mentioned was her birth year.

Interested to hear some opinions from other members

FYI when I dump coins I tell people up front exactly what I am doing if I am asked

Maybe you could make up a little flyer or booklet that you could hand out at all the banks explaining to the Tellers how they just might possibly be able to become the very best Cherry Pickers in the State or even the entire country if they learn and follow the basic information you are trying to bestow. As long as the pickings are so small already, then you may as well teach every Teller everything there is to know about silver. As long as you are telling everyone up front exactly what you are doing, then one more new Teller/Hunter besides everyone else shouldn't matter, much. Make sure that you include all the websites that might help them search and inform them about the true value of the silver that they might possibly have been letting slip right through their own fingers only to end up back into boxes. Maybe you could even add a small section of places such as Amazon.com, Best Buy, and Walmart where they can spend that new found money once they have converted their silver into cash. Then I am sure that they will be more than glad to see you when you come in with your small scale dumps. They may even ask, "Are you still doing this, too?"

........FAIL!
What's the first rule of fight club?

Wilmingtonsilver

Sep 6, 2012
SE North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guessing that is only a dump bank, because after that insane conversation where a cute twenty something flirted with you enough to get you to divulge any secrets, you won't be finding anything at that bank.

Dark

Aug 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should have given her your phone number instead.

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
I think that was very sweet to help her out. I personally think its good karma to teach people about coins and silver whenever possible. I just had a family into our store using the coinstar and again and again a coin was rejected. I asked if it was a canadian and the young girl and her family, held out the coin. Looking at it I was that it was a 1958 quarter. I told them to save it that it was 90% silver and worth at least 5 dollars. The looks on their face was priceless, all 5 jaws dropped. Now do I think they are going to start coin roll hunting just on helping them out. Nope. But it could steer them to the nearest coin show which is fine by me. I am a small scale coin roll hunter and I am not afraid of another hunter coming into the territory. there is more than enough banks, credit unions and big businesses where I live that there is no way I can go to them all. So let another hunter come and search and I wish him or her well-wishes and luck in the world. Here in michigan, they are going to need it.

Hugs and Smiles,
Garoulady

Local_coins

Nov 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh boy. You can be honest without spilling your guts! I hope she saves some silver for you instead of sniping it.

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
Since you broke the cardinal rule of Coin Roll Hunting, bring her in some of my silver painted clad for her so she can edge check.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am continually shocked at how little people think.

Even if you aren't worried that she will pick out your silver, she still has a position of advantage if she grabs things as they come in.

If you keep dumping coins there, and someone questions it, she may tell them what you do, and they may tell you that you can't dump there anymore. Or if she's a vault teller, at a regional meeting they may put two and two together and figure you're picking up and dumping, and put a stop to both.

At the very most, only if they ask, I tell people I collect. When they ask if it's silver, I say, I guess, I just look for older coins, proofs, and errors to fill up my collection, and silver falls in there.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey, aren't you the same person who got a whole bunch of money stolen from you because you left half dollar boxes and wrappers out in the open in an unlocked car in a bad parking lot?

OP
OP
T

thing

Aug 8, 2009
yes I am. though the car was locked and there was stuff hiding the box. Though a small silver lining is i might be able to call crh a side business and write off the loss on my taxes.

FYI I feel like some people are taking a rather aggressive approach towards my actions. Maybe I don't have the same mentality as the rest of the board but I find CRH fun and I don't have a problem with other people joining in on the fun.

Hey, aren't you the same person who got a whole bunch of money stolen from you because you left half dollar boxes and wrappers out in the open in an unlocked car in a bad parking lot?

OP
OP
T

thing

Aug 8, 2009
You should have given her your phone number instead.
She had a nine month old baby, no dice. And she said she was going to start collecting coins for her babies college fund. So who knows I could have drastically altered some ones future with one conversation.

OnARoll

Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me start off by saying I know your intention was pure however I would have to agree with everyone else, the less tellers know the better..I'd rather have them think i'm some eccentric coin collector buying all their halves then to squeal secrets this board holds dearly. If you knew of a spot where you kept finding gold would you tell the world about it? Silver is gold to a lot of people and I really don't think you would if that was the case..If you must educate them maybe choose something else that doesn't jeopardize your hobby and the hobby of everyone else on this board like stock tips or something lol. Last thing we need is a mafia of women/male tellers picking out and hoarding coins, this will waste your time as well as the time of the other CRH at that branch! :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread