gave a coin and tips to a teller, good or bad

thing

Aug 8, 2009
I was in a chase I never go to to dump 1000. And this 20ish teller asks me if there were any old ones. My first response was you shouldn't ask that you could tip people off to what you are doing. She had apparently found 5 Carson City morgans in great condition, and that got her started. I told her about edge searching, why halves are still your best bet for silver (in LA anyways), road trips and what years to look for (she didn't know of the difference between 90% and 40% coins) and of course I told her about this web site. I showed her some proof coins I had with me (she didn't know about them) and I gave her the one she mentioned was her birth year.

Interested to hear some opinions from other members

FYI when I dump coins I tell people up front exactly what I am doing if I am asked

Upvote 0

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
You might've just put your foot in your mouth, so to speak. Anytime you tell anyone else about CRHing, you have a chance of doing that.

CurlysGold

Sep 23, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd like to echo what OnARoll said there...

If the teller is clueless, keep it that way. You give your power away and create a competitor when you educate them. Even if you recruit them, you'll be buying the silver for more that face value.

If a teller is already culling silver then try to recruit them to sell to you. Leave your name and number. It's easier for them to sell to you when you're in there every week instead of going to the local coin shop and getting ripped off for 65-70% of spot.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
I would be honest and tell her "no there are no "old coins" in this batch --I collect them and took them out already --do you have any old coins that you found that you want to sell me? -- other than that the less they know the better off it is for you --do NOT teach your competitors what to look for or the worth of old coins --90 vs 40 ect , or the 1964 cut off date (except for 40% halves to 1970)- the local tellers at one branch think that all the silver stopped in 1964 which allows me to catch the 1965 to 1970 40%ers that slip past them --if I wized them up --poof no more 40%ers for me --ps they do cherry pick the loose 90%ers that go thru --but the whole CWR rolls they do not "open"--so I get some 90%ers that way at times.-- the ordered in bank rolls that I goit them to order me were all "bone dry" not a scrap of silver in any of them --so i quit getting em --I only ask for CWR rolls / loose coins now

telling others takes "bread" out of your mouth and puts it in theirs. ---what you know that others do not , will profeit you , when you teach thers what you know --it cost you your "advantage " over them ---thats why you normally "pay dearly " to become educated from others knowledge --think of what it cost to go to college .

Last edited:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
teller - uh what do you do with all those halves? -- me : I'm very OCD and must count things all the time , so I count and sort halves by date and mint mark --after I count and sort all the ones I have _ I turn them in and get "fresh ones" to sort --by the way , do you have any "fresh" halves I can get ? -- my dream job would be to some day be a bank teller "counting money all day long"--oddly after that they do not seem to want to "chat" with me anymore . go figger.

Last edited:

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
I thought the truth shall set us free??

Again, there's a huge difference between telling the truth and spilling your guts. If you're pulled over for speeding, and the cop asks you if you knew you were speeding, it sometimes actually helps to admit it. However, it does no good whatsoever to say "yeah, I was speeding, and I wasn't wearing my seat belt, and I'm on probation..." Being honest establishes your credibility, going on and on in a situation that can only hurt you and potentially others is insane.

If you keep dumping coins there, and someone questions it, she may tell them what you do, and they may tell you that you can't dump there anymore. Or if she's a vault teller, at a regional meeting they may put two and two together and figure you're picking up and dumping, and put a stop to both.

In my original response, I wanted to post something very much like this, but was afraid I'd come across as being too paranoid. However, this scenario is all too plausible, and could easily lead to regional or even national change of policy that would affect us all. Believe me, when one bank makes a policy change that affects the bottom line, others soon follow.

I'm going to have to side with GarouLady (just don't hug me) - I've educated more than a few people, almost none of which decided to take up this hobby. But I wouldn't dream of educating anyone in the banking system, as they have the potential ability and possibly the desire to end this hobby for me and everyone else.

Last edited:

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Again, there's a huge difference between telling the truth and spilling your guts. If you're pulled over for speeding, and the cop asks you if you knew you were speeding, it sometimes actually helps to admit it. However, it does no good whatsoever to say "yeah, I was speeding, and I wasn't wearing my seat belt, and I'm on probation..." Being honest establishes your credibility, going on and on in a situation that can only hurt you and potentially others is insane.

In my original response, I wanted to post something very much like this, but was afraid I'd come across as being too paranoid. However, this scenario is all too plausible, and could easily lead to regional or even national change of policy that would affect us all. Believe me, when one bank makes a policy change that affects the bottom line, others soon follow.

I'm going to have to side with GarouLady (just don't hug me) - I've educated more than a few people, almost none of which decided to take up this hobby. But I wouldn't dream of educating anyone in the banking system, as they have the potential ability and possibly the desire to end this hobby for me and everyone else.

Believe me, I'm making that call based on experience. A few of my pickup banks all in the same week told me at a regional meeting they would no longer make coin orders because of the volume being picked up and dumped. Didn't affect every bank, but at least a few put two and two together.

Wilmingtonsilver

Sep 6, 2012
SE North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Though a small silver lining is i might be able to call crh a side business and write off the loss on my taxes.

FYI I feel like some people are taking a rather aggressive approach towards my actions. Maybe I don't have the same mentality as the rest of the board but I find CRH fun and I don't have a problem with other people joining in on the fun.

If you are going to start calling CRH a business, you will have to start paying taxes on that business. Uncle Sam is going to get his, and you damn well better start taking it serious or you will end up in a big hole with the IRS having a vacuum cleaner in your pocket.

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
I think calling CRHing a business is a quicker way to get the hobby stopped. Because before you know it, Uncle sam and the rest of the government will be at your door with their paws out, asking for their cut of your 'business'. Or worse they can take your silver as governmental property. they did that to a family who found some fancy gold coins in a family member's safety deposit box. I forgot what coins they were but it was in CoinWorld.

as for banks cutting people off from buying boxes or charging for them. That's another reason to go small scale. Yeah you won't find as much silver but not that I am getting the hang of this, I haven't had any problems dumping or picking up coins. Just picked up a box of nickels. Got skunked on war nickels and buffs but I found an interesting ender. First ever, I found a 2002 5 cent euro. I was like "huh? what the?" and opened it. Rather get a nickel instead but head, beggars can't be choosers. Within a couple of weeks I plan on doing a major buying spree to stock up for the 2 months I will be off due to surgery. It's money I have set aside just for CRHing. If I can swing it, I want to be able to buy at least 4 boxes of nickels to go through. Good thing about war nickels. Not many people know about them around here and that's something I am keeping close to my chest.

Hugs and smiles,
Garoulady

OP
OP
T

thing

Aug 8, 2009
If you are going to start calling CRH a business, you will have to start paying taxes on that business. Uncle Sam is going to get his, and you damn well better start taking it serious or you will end up in a big hole with the IRS having a vacuum cleaner in your pocket.

Since those *******s who took my coins got everything I was planning to sell for profit at years end I think I have a rather good claim as a theft write off. Since I am not selling any of the stuff I collected in 2011 I feel like i have a reasonable case.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Or worse they can take your silver as governmental property. they did that to a family who found some fancy gold coins in a family member's safety deposit box. I forgot what coins they were but it was in CoinWorld.

I don't think they could at this moment. Those coins were 1933 double eagles, and they are illegal to own, so every one of them (but one that was sold to a collector for $7 million) is government property.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Since those *******s who took my coins got everything I was planning to sell for profit at years end I think I have a rather good claim as a theft write off. Since I am not selling any of the stuff I collected in 2011 I feel like i have a reasonable case.

Keep us posted on what the IRS says...

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand you were trying to be helpful, but seriously man how hard is it to find this information out on your own? I can go on google and find out all i need to know about silver content in coins in about 15 minutes.. If saving up for her child was really the focus, than she could have very easily spent some of her own time to find out how it works. I am not bashing you in any way, but doing what you just did is the exact reason I can no longer make any good finds within a 50 mile radius of where I live.. Everything is sniped when it walks in the door. Word travels fast and believe me, she will tell other people. That is what bank tellers do.. They talk to people.. Now imagine if 2 other people this week did the exact same thing you did in your city. That means 3 new tellers are now sniping and informing not only other tellers but possibly other customers who may be dumping a collection on what they need to do.. IMO if someone really wants to learn how to get silver they can spend their own time learning how to do so.. All you did was make it easy for her, giving her all the reward, with none of the effort.

BRChiver

Oct 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
S
You just screwed all the CRH'ers in LA that use that branch, and perhaps more if she shares her information with her coworkers.

By all means be helpful and honest, but there is a difference between honesty and telling everything you know.
Couldn't have said it better. I hope he meant Los Angeles and not Louisiana.......

skateandcreate

May 5, 2008
MARYLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350, Minelab GPX 4800
Telling the secret isn't the best of ideas. I date a teller though so it's a winning scenario!

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Skateandcreate: Did you educate the teller you are dating or did the teller already know about sniping? From dating a teller, have you learned anything about how much other tellers in the area snipe? I also CRH in Maryland, so just curious.

Thanks

coinhound

Sep 26, 2012
Northwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra VX3, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Whites Prizm 5G, Garrett Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Does this fall into the category of @#$# for brains?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread