Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This video shows what I was explaining with regards to lowering GB as far as possible to gain extra depth. I don't know for sure, but I suspect he could clean up the signal even more by lowering GB down to the 77 area. I use this as a standard set up on a confirmed old site and only raise GB if the chatter starts to drive me nuts. Otherwise, one can leave the Deus' GB in 90 for scouting. Each site is different but some sites let you run GB in the mid 70s while simultaneously running little to no silencer. I've pulled items out from absolutely remarkable depth using this set up. Works best with 9" coil for me. Anyway, if you have a special site try this out. You may be pleasantly surprised. Works really well in heavy iron too. 18 khz is what I use. Sometimes, if I keep digging big iron at depth, I go to the next program up where I created a duplicate program, except to make the freq 4 khz. This will confirm if iron or not. Then I'll go back to the main program afterwards.

OP
OP
gwdigger

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Also wanted to add: While using this program, investigate all iffy signals. This set up seems to create many of them (you wouldnt even hear the high tone if not for this program, just low blat sounds from the iron). Its not uncommon to pull goodies out from what seems like handfuls of nails using this program. Sometimes one right after another. Little cufflinks, pistol balls and such.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's awesome to see the GB making a difference like that. I always manually set mine to around 83 here which covers the majority of the soil. However, depending on where I am at a site, the numbers can drop down to the high 70's... and I never change my GB number. So maybe I should start to adjust it. I tried tracking GB, but after digging a target the GB number is so off from the coil being off the ground, the machine acts nuts when I start swinging again and it takes 10-20 seconds for it to correct itself which is frustrating.

Can we see the program you use??

It seems we do the same sort of hunting, so it'd be awesome to see how you set up your Deus. I also use 18khz nearly all the time too. Big or small, shallow or deep, that freq just clicks for me.

Thanks gwdigger,
Brad

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats very interesting! Ive always kepted mine on 90.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use tracking and just pump the coil a couple of times after a target recovery (or custom program chsnge) to get it to lock in again.

Introfiant

Dec 22, 2015
OBX
Detector(s) used
CZ21, Excal, Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I usually always keep mine on manual and just watch it. If it tells me to gb it at 85 I usually put it at 84 or a mid 83 number. I'll have to try it lower than that and if I get lots of chatter I'll bring it back up some and try notching the gb some.

OP
OP
gwdigger

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I use a basic program for scouting but always hunt w/ full tones, preferring to go by sound rather than numerical readout. My colonial site program uses no disc, -1 silencer and 3 reactivity to start. I only up settings if I must but always customize for every site, each and every time. 18Khz freq always and manual GB at 80 is where I start. The more iron present, the lower my sensitivity. I've seen 1st had what too much sens does on iron infested sites, especially. I tend to run sens 82-85 in those iron junky spots. I also will lower TX power all the way down over the heavy iron infestations.

I really wish XP would add a way to lower the blat tone volume so a user could keep that in check. Iron volume is useless when using no discrimination. One thing I do to help with this is to turn the audio response up high but turn my WS5 volume so I can barely hear it clearly. This makes the high tones stand out better without missing the weak (deep) hi tones (audio response on 6 or 7 takes care of this). High wind can skew this whole idea but all you need to usually for that is to bump up the headphone volume a bit more.

My favorite hunting conditions are very wet ground. The Deus excels in the rain soaked ground. Too bad XP still hasn't made the remote waterproof. I usually just put a 2 mil zip lock bag around it as ColonelDan suggested. THE best, simplest, cheapest fix out there. I've tried many until I saw this link:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/deus/440461-diy-control-box-cover.html

I'm with you Brad, I don't use GB tracking for the same reasons. Plus it runs to close to the bone. I like to keep GB way below actual. I only have a few sites where the ground gets below the low 70s. At that point, there is little more to do.

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Great explanation GW. Thanks for sharing your insights. I do have a question. You seem to prefer 18 kHz. Is it because you have highly mineralized soil or are you just seeing better performance with 18 kHz in the heavy iron? I have very mild soil up my way and the lower frequencies seem to make those high conductors sing out a bit better for me. But I really haven't worked much with 18 kHz in my iron laden sites.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use a basic program for scouting but always hunt w/ full tones, preferring to go by sound rather than numerical readout. My colonial site program uses no disc, -1 silencer and 3 reactivity to start. I only up settings if I must but always customize for every site, each and every time. 18Khz freq always and manual GB at 80 is where I start. The more iron present, the lower my sensitivity. I've seen 1st had what too much sens does on iron infested sites, especially. I tend to run sens 82-85 in those iron junky spots. I also will lower TX power all the way down over the heavy iron infestations.

I really wish XP would add a way to lower the blat tone volume so a user could keep that in check. Iron volume is useless when using no discrimination. One thing I do to help with this is to turn the audio response up high but turn my WS5 volume so I can barely hear it clearly. This makes the high tones stand out better without missing the weak (deep) hi tones (audio response on 6 or 7 takes care of this). High wind can skew this whole idea but all you need to usually for that is to bump up the headphone volume a bit more.

My favorite hunting conditions are very wet ground. The Deus excels in the rain soaked ground. Too bad XP still hasn't made the remote waterproof. I usually just put a 2 mil zip lock bag around it as ColonelDan suggested. THE best, simplest, cheapest fix out there. I've tried many until I saw this link:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/deus/440461-diy-control-box-cover.html

I'm with you Brad, I don't use GB tracking for the same reasons. Plus it runs to close to the bone. I like to keep GB way below actual. I only have a few sites where the ground gets below the low 70s. At that point, there is little more to do.

I also like to keep the GB a few numbers below the ground number... as long as its not too chatty and making me miss those whispers. Then I'll bump it up closer to the ground #. I should try dropping the sens like you suggest. Typically it stays on 90. You know I love working the iron slow. I'm going to put this in my machine as GW Program and give it a shot. Its very similar to how I hunt and I want another reason to give Full Tones another try.

I like your simple remote case solution! If you ever want something a little more durable check out this post http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/deus/494211-waterproof-case-deus-controller.html A few of us went back and fourth and a lot of good info on case options came out of it. I have a picture of my machine from the rain and snow with the larger case on it, but someone else found that the smaller case fits even better.

I've found 18khz nabs me the small items as well as the low conductors (pewter\lead) much better. I have also locked on some deep coppers and toggled between some 8 and 12khz and no noticeable difference. I have tried the same program I typically run with the only change being 12khz and I just don't like how it makes everything sound. I have a feeling though that it boils down to a personal preference and which frequencies we are more used to hunting with.

OP
OP
gwdigger

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great explanation GW. Thanks for sharing your insights. I do have a question. You seem to prefer 18 kHz. Is it because you have highly mineralized soil or are you just seeing better performance with 18 kHz in the heavy iron? I have very mild soil up my way and the lower frequencies seem to make those high conductors sing out a bit better for me. But I really haven't worked much with 18 kHz in my iron laden sites.
Sure, np. I seem to miss the tiny keepers, especially the gem cufflinks and small tombacs when I use lower freq's. I do have a few sites where even with higher settings I cant escape heavy chatter. There I'll use lower freq's. and that helps.

OP
OP
gwdigger

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I also like to keep the GB a few numbers below the ground number... as long as its not too chatty and making me miss those whispers. Then I'll bump it up closer to the ground #. I should try dropping the sens like you suggest. Typically it stays on 90. You know I love working the iron slow. I'm going to put this in my machine as GW Program and give it a shot. Its very similar to how I hunt and I want another reason to give Full Tones another try.

I like your simple remote case solution! If you ever want something a little more durable check out this post http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/deus/494211-waterproof-case-deus-controller.html A few of us went back and fourth and a lot of good info on case options came out of it. I have a picture of my machine from the rain and snow with the larger case on it, but someone else found that the smaller case fits even better.

I've found 18khz nabs me the small items as well as the low conductors (pewter\lead) much better. I have also locked on some deep coppers and toggled between some 8 and 12khz and no noticeable difference. I have tried the same program I typically run with the only change being 12khz and I just don't like how it makes everything sound. I have a feeling though that it boils down to a personal preference and which frequencies we are more used to hunting with.

LOL at the muddy Deus picture. Thats the way mine looks after a mud hunt. I do have the black case and had it mounted like yours but prefer the ziplock baggie. When the hunt is over, I hose it down, remove the old ziplock bag and replace with a new one. I don't use anything unless its raining or really muddy.

I had a site from this past season where I couldn't run zero disc so I ran silencer at -1 and kept bumping up the disc until hunting was tolerable. That worked really well too eke out the goodies where there weren't any higher tone signals before. 1st time I ever tried that technique.

By the looks of those muddy buttons, your constantly adjusting, the same as I do. Thats why I like the Deus. So many ways to tweak it and customize it for a site.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread