general cache hunting questions

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Danny, The big thing we have found is that you don't talk about the big things you found. It can be hazardous to your bottom line. Frank

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bad news is that many people in many countries are searching for treasures where the story is untrue or the treasure may had been found.

TheRandyMan

Apr 3, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, Minelab Etrac, Ace 250k, Discovery TF-900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have heard tell of an ancient ritual of communication... as a courtesy to future treasure hunters who may follow in your tracks and locate the treasure you already found...where you may find either 1) an upside down horseshoe or 2) a turtle with its head cutoff. There may be other ways that they may try to let you know you are a bit late but found the right location. I would love to hear from others what they have found. :icon_sunny:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Danny, there are many people playing the lottery who will never win also.
That's part of the treasure hunting game. You don't go out with your detector saying I am going to come back with treasure. You go out saying I am going to look for treasure. It's great to find treasure, but most hunters enjoy the hunt. Your pitting your I.Q. against the presented facts.
And yes, I am down to my last horse shoe. Frank

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
psst if there are paving stone / stepping stones between the house and other building -look under them . :wink: also if there is a odd tree --say a oak where all the others around the spot are pine -check around its base --anything that stands out or looks odd / differant is worth thinking about

think like someone who wants to hide something of value yet still wants to be able to get to it / check on it easily -- without it being out of sight range of the main house area in general (that way strangers can not slip in and find it , swipe it and run off with it ) they hide it to prevent theifs from ransacking their house while their gone to town for one reason or another and finding their money

K

Kentucky Kache

Connecticut Danny said:
The bad news is that many people in many countries are searching for treasures where the story is untrue or the treasure may had been found.

If you follow that logic, you'll never do any treasure hunting at all, as there is ALWAYS the possibility that the treasure has already been found. As Frank said, it's not called treasure finding, or treasure digging, but treasure HUNTING.

fibberjibber

Mar 7, 2008
I have a question too. Is buying a sniper coil a must for cache hunting? I just bought the new ATPro and the DD coil it comes with does do pretty well for depth so far... I also have an old garrett master hunter II which seems to go even deeper at times. But I am not sure if these are going to go deep enough for a buried mason jar. I have my family's only remaining homestead site all to myself. Built in 1878 and still standing with one original outbuilding right off the back. I found one outhouse hole- the newest one- and a cistern so far. I have yet to take my detectors there.
-Eric

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Not essential in my experience, but could be helpful in some circumstances. If depth is your requirement a 2-box is probably better, and covers more ground faster to a greater depth.

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Nice thread. I am going to use much of what is written here in an old overgrown home I have permission to look around in (old relative). This guy was an old widower who passed away in the late 80's. Lived on a trust fund his whole life yet seemed quite frugal. Kept extensive, handwritten journals with personal thoughts, weather and garden crop stats. He was born around the turn of the century. Died leaving no heirs to my knowledge. Immigrated from England, married, and was widowed. He just seems like the kind of person who would have stashed something.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
A sniper coil "small dia. coil " is used for hunting single coins and is useless for cache hunting because it doesn't go deep enough. Frank

fibberjibber

Mar 7, 2008
I dont want to spend the money on a 2-box right now, I just bought the ATPro. And I dont think caches would be so deep at a homestead that a metal detector couldn't pick it up, am I right? And does anyone know how deep a canning jar lid can be detected by a MD?

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Your ATpro should go deep enough to find cashed coins in mason jars.
I have not found one more than a few inches down. They were temporary hiding places where they could be recovered quickly.
Oh and before the knockers pop in, My detector would probably go down around 2' for a mason jar full of coins. Frank

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
I have found them at 12-14" with a Minelab Exp II. Have air tested with the two box at 2-3 feet.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
GrayCloud said:
I have found them at 12-14" with a Minelab Exp II. Have air tested with the two box at 2-3 feet.
Was that just the lid, or was it complete with $15 face value silver?

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
LID only. Me don't owe the obama'a I R & S nare cent. :tongue3:
Some of the older zinc lids are solid with the ceramic inserts. They hit pretty strong. :thumbsup:

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
GrayCloud said:
LID only. Me don't owe the obama'a I R & S nare cent. :tongue3:
Some of the older zinc lids are solid with the ceramic inserts. They hit pretty strong. :thumbsup:
Someone with the handle GrayCloud would likely not owe US taxes. But don't know/never heard of "nare" cent. Rare? Nary? We aren't communicating here.

The zinc lids do have a strong signature. Just found several recently where expected caches "were".

"A clue, Sherlock, a clue!" - Robin Williams

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many great comments. Good luck to all of you. I live in Bridgeport Connecticut.

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Well Tuberale, I am sorry if my Southern Slang is disturbing to your delicate little ears. :icon_scratch:
As for the tax thing, unfortunately I probably pay in more in taxes a year than you make. Not bragging, just setting you straight. What about my handle would makes you think I do not pay federal tax? :dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread