This looks promising.

Wallydraigle

Greenie
Apr 2, 2010
There's this place I know out along a back road where a big rock almost overhangs the road. But what's cool about it is that about twelve feet above road level, made into a natural crack in the rock, is a little wooden door. It looks really old, and has a rusty old padlock on it, and it really just makes you wonder. You have to be looking in just the right spot to even see it, and you could drive right past it a hundred times without ever knowing it's there. It's way cool.

Anyway, about a month ago I drove past there and I thought I saw something, but I wasn't sure. I finally made it back out there yesterday, and I didn't have time to stop and look around, but I got a pic from the car, and it was what I thought I saw. Now that I've seen it, it makes me wonder how I ever missed it, because it's so blatantly obvious. Take a look.

hole.jpg

That's about thirty feet away from the door, about twelve feet above the road. No way is that natural. All those different rocks didn't just end up under there. No way.

But what's way cooler about it is that if I zoom way into the photo, to the right and behind the rock under the light colored rock, it looks like something sticking out of the ground.

knob.jpg

To me it looks like the knob on top of the lid of an old coffee pot or something. Does anyone else see that? Who knows what's inside it! A coffee pot full of old silver would be an awesome find.

Here's hoping...

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Wally, I bet you got a practical joker somewhere nearby. Nobody's going to
hide valuables in sight of a road. Look around and try to spot him watching.

alpha105

May 19, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks like a stick such as the plenty on top to me?

OP
OP
W

Wallydraigle

Greenie
Apr 2, 2010
lastleg said:

I think this place is older than the road that goes past it now. It might very well be nothing, but I think it's worth checking out.

The door has a rusty old padlock on it, and there's no way I could get in there without bolt cutters or something. I'm all for picking up treasure lost in the road, but I draw the line at breaking and entering.

jdsarasin8194

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2009
MA
Wallydraigle said:
lastleg said:

I think this place is older than the road that goes past it now. It might very well be nothing, but I think it's worth checking out.

The door has a rusty old padlock on it, and there's no way I could get in there without bolt cutters or something. I'm all for picking up treasure lost in the road, but I draw the line at breaking and entering.
so youre not gunu open it??? its not breaking and entering if its too small for you to enter :tongue3:
If I had found this and didnt open it it would eat away at me for the rest of my life

dank

Mar 18, 2009
Olympia Wa
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i dont see it! better pics please. or just smash it in and see whats in there! it is on the side of the road.

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It could be one of those death traps so proceed with caution. :tongue3:

Maybe it is a geocache. But for the life of me I just don't get people who go to the trouble of posting pictures on here and don't even open up whatever it is they are posting pictures of. I would have investigated and THEN posted pictures. Not the other way around. :wink:

10claw

Aug 16, 2009
well wally, if the lock is all rusted up, that means someone vacated the place and is not worried about it. why not let us see a good clear close-up of the door and lock. then back off 4-5 ft. and show the surrounding area.
tenclaw

DialM

May 31, 2007
Lemme get this straight: you find a little wooden door with a rusted padlock on it, and post a picture of a pile of rocks?

x.marks

Mar 28, 2010
Wheres the door? :dontknow: Looking forward for your updated post. If it on the side of the road that is government/public property. Just like the grass between the road and sidewalks. I would check it out asap. I am hoping you do and find a nice pay off. Good luck!

OP
OP
W

Wallydraigle

Greenie
Apr 2, 2010
Just so there's some closure for those wondering, this is a pic I got of the door before all the leaves came on. You can't really see it now except up very close.

door.jpg

As you can see, even being right beside a road now, it's still very well concealed.

There aren't any houses on the road from before the late 1940s, which seems to be when the road went in, and this is definitely much older than that. Inside there is a small chamber in the rock, with some wood debris, and the whole inside is very blackened as if someone had kept a fire going inside for a long time. I suspect there might have been a still here at some time in the past.

As for what I found behind the stacked rocks... I don't think it would be smart to talk about that. In fact, I probably won't reply to this thread again, but thanks for the comments and for sharing my adventure!

seekeroforo

Jan 21, 2010
Over the rainbow
Detector(s) used
Logic, prayer, hope, and instinct
A mine in a limestone cliff? Not sure what precisous metal or mineral could be found there :dontknow:

Maybe gemstones of some sort??? I'll consult the geology books on this one. I'mguessing it was some personal stash or cache.

littleneckhalfshell

Jun 21, 2005
where does he say it is limestone? we have a lot of layered rock just like that here in the Catskills and it is not limestone. Did I miss something? I don't even think he said where in the world this rock is or what it is.

stevesno

Feb 27, 2006
Deep in the Ozark Mountains
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, Whites TM 808, Sharptronics DSP-03
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My grandfather had a great uncle who lived in a cave....everynight he would pull the ladder into the cave with him so intruders couldnt bother him....This cave was on Long Creek here in Mo....When Table Rock Lake was built in 1958 it consumed the arm of the creek where the cave is....Another reason that the door might have been put there....a residence......Steve

seekeroforo

Jan 21, 2010
Over the rainbow
Detector(s) used
Logic, prayer, hope, and instinct
What does it matter where it is? This is a sedimentary outcrop of rocks, not igneous or metamophic. Looks like limestone to me, maybe sandstone. Either way are you telling me that there is gold in them there hills??? :icon_scratch:

trail

Jun 24, 2010
As for what I found behind the stacked rocks... I don't think it would be smart to talk about that. In fact, I probably won't reply to this thread again, but thanks for the comments and for sharing my adventure!

why bother posting then? Come on out with it !!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread