Last edited:

bartholomewroberts

Feb 23, 2011
Cedar, B.C.
Detector(s) used
excal2, XP Deus, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am only guessing here... But might G.S. stand for German Silver.. which has no silver at all.

Hope I am wrong about that for your sake

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
The pics are a little blurry when you zoom in, but I don't see any signs of them being plated. Per Diggummup's link; you have hex stems terminated with balls. That nicely describes your spoons.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just doing a bit of tidying up on some older threads, mainly for the benefit of anyone searching the site for information.

Nice spoons.

George Sharp was active in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, working for Bailey & Co. (not to be confused the jeweller George Sharp active in Atlanta, Georgia around the same time). By the late 1860’s he left Bailey & Co. to establish his own company, which went out of business in 1874.

He held a number of flatware design patents, but none for 1863. There is however one for 5th January 1864 titled “Ornamental design for the ends of handles of spoons &c” which reads: "The nature of my invention or production consists in finishing the extreme outer ends of the shank handles of ladles […] in the ornamental globular forms".

Sharp1.jpg

The US Patent Bulletin is traditionally published every Tuesday but in December 1863 it was published only on 1st, 8th,15th and 22nd but not on the 29th December. The next publication was on January 5th 1864. I suspect that he was notified at the end of December 1863 that his patent had been granted but it missed publication that year because of the Christmas holiday period, as sometimes happened.

His flatware sometimes has only his “G.S.” mark (his initials, not for “German Silver”) and sometimes also his name in full together with his initials. Some of his work is also marked “Sterling” as below, and some not. I suspect that the items not marked as sterling are earlier pieces and also silver rather than plate, but probably coin silver to a nominal .900 fineness.

Sharp2.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread