George Washington lostt gold cache is real Ct Danny and Siegfried S. !!!

tommyl

Greenie
Nov 18, 2005
Sorry you guys appear convinced that this treasure story is untrue. Maybe not enough research on your part. I believe it is real and so do many others. Here is a taste for you........ Check out this website: http://www.marxists.org/archive/beard/history-us/ch06.htm

Here is an excerpt from History of the United States. Charles Beard, Mary Beard, 1921

CHAPTER VI
THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION
"The Finances of the Revolution"
When the Revolution opened, there were thirteen little treasuries in America but no common treasury, and from first to last the Congress was in the position of a beggar rather than a sovereign. Having no authority to lay and collect taxes directly and knowing the hatred of the provincials for taxation, it resorted mainly to loans and paper money to finance the war. “Do you think,” boldly inquired one of the delegates, “that I will consent to load my constituents with taxes when we can send to the printer and get a wagon load of money, one quire of which will pay for the whole?"

Paper Money and Loans. – Acting on this curious but appealing political economy, Congress issued in June, 1776, two million dollars in bills of credit to be redeemed by the states on the basis of their respective populations. Other issues followed in quick succession. In all about $241,000,000 of continental paper was printed, to which the several states added nearly $210,000,000 of their own notes. Then came interest-bearing bonds in ever increasing quantities. Several millions were also borrowed from France and small sums from Holland and Spain. In desperation a national lottery was held, producing meager results. The property of Tories was confiscated and sold, bringing in about $16,000,000. Begging letters were sent to the states asking them to raise revenues for the continental treasury, but the states, burdened with their own affairs, gave little heed.

Not enough boys......How about this piece taken from a book called Newgate in Connecticut 1st edition written around 1830 by Richard Phelps.of East Granby CT...............

"Lemuel Bates was a captain during the Revolution, and participated in several battles. For many years Captain Bates kept a tavern in the north part of East Granby, in the house where his grandson, "Win. H. Bates, now lives. The merry old gentleman was fond of fighting his battles over again by relating his reminiscences of those interesting times. After the surrender of Burgoyne, with his once splendid army of 10,000 men, at Saratoga, several detachments of the British prisoners of war were marched through East Granby, and a portion of them bivouacked on the premises of Captain Bates. " The British had plenty of money," said Captain Bates, " to pay for the best we had; and my folks were kept busy in distributing pitchers and pails of cider among them. At night all the floors in my tavern were spread over with them."
Another portion of the British captives encamped on the premises of Captain Roswell Phelps,* near the centre of East Granby. These prisoners of war were an interesting sight, and excited an inspiring curiosity in all this region.
At one time several teams laden with specie, en route from Boston to Philadelphia, halted for the night at Captain Bates's. The specie had been borrowed from France; which nation was then fraternally aiding us in our struggle. It was enclosed in strong plank boxes, drawn by thirteen teams, well guarded; and amounted to several millions of dollars"

Hope you get the drift of "Specie" and if still not convinced leave it for the rest of us to find.
Terrible Tommy

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think they are closing in on it and just trying to throw the rest of us off track. :wink:

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By George! Tommy I think you have found the smoking gun!

Does it go on to say anything about the theft or was this another incident in that location?

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Total waste of time looking for treasure that never happen. Best of luck.

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is really cold with snow on the ground in Bridgeport, Connecticut. Keep warm.

DFX DAVE in M.D.

Oct 15, 2004
Upper Chesapeake Bay, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quit Bragging about it Tommy and find the darn treasure and rub it in our faces. I would like to see the pictures of it. Your article claims it was well guarded by thirteen teams, how did it get lost then ? By the way the pictures of all that 230 year old buried Continental Paper Money would look like saw dust now. I don't think it holds up like gold, silver and copper.

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with #6, there were very few coins back then. Story is untrue. It is very cold in Connecticut.

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To this very day, no single coins or boxes of coins found. Story is total untrue.

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No country had that much gold. I been researching the story since 1964, which is untrue.

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This one story that keep being published is total untrue. 13 wagons loads of gold coins is a lot of gold, and no country had not that much gold. Don't waste your time searching for nothing. If true, it would had been found by now. I total research this story. The Bates Tavern has been moved. I am interested in unpublished stories about Connecticut. [email protected]

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am bringing this thread back because this story is the most interesting treasure story in Connecticut. Total untrue, do not look for it.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Resurrected from the dead by Sam to tell you it doesn't exist?????? Frank skull etc 013-1-platinum_edited-3.jpg

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn

I am sure that most writers do not like you for reasons that you known. You must be interesting in this story because you wrote: #10 & #14. You want want to tell: Lost Treasure stop to publishing this untrue story three or four times a year. This story is the most famous and worth more then any treasure story in Connecticut. I had research this story since 1964, and it is untrue, and I do not want people waste their time searching for nothing. Yes there was a Bates Family, a Bates tavern that was moved.. Every time this story get publish in treasure magazines, many people go looking for nothing. I would like to be told about caches stories that is not true in Connecticut. Sorry about partner. Hope that you find another one. Tommy, #1 is untrue. I had spoken to a family member who told me that nobody in the Bates family living in the tavern never heard of the story until they had read a letter to the Hartford Courant telling this story. I am sure that over 1000 seeking this treasure and never find even one coin. Another lie is that five differ people found one coin each. I am willing to pay one millions in cash for just one of these coins, and $100.00 for one picture of just one coin. A singer last name: Oates moved the tavern. I am sure that most stories about bury treasures out West are not true, but it is not my problems since I am not going out West. Best of luck to my friends and hope that they find all that they looking for.

crazyfish

Jul 20, 2010
Frankn

I am sure that most writers do not like you for reasons that you known. You must be interesting in this story because you wrote: #10 & #14. You want want to tell: Lost Treasure stop to publishing this untrue story three or four times a year. This story is the most famous and worth more then any treasure story in Connecticut. I had research this story since 1964, and it is untrue, and I do not want people waste their time searching for nothing. Yes there was a Bates Family, a Bates tavern that was moved.. Every time this story get publish in treasure magazines, many people go looking for nothing. I would like to be told about caches stories that is not true in Connecticut. Sorry about partner. Hope that you find another one. Tommy, #1 is untrue. I had spoken to a family member who told me that nobody in the Bates family living in the tavern never heard of the story until they had read a letter to the Hartford Courant telling this story. I am sure that over 1000 seeking this treasure and never find even one coin. Another lie is that five differ people found one coin each. I am willing to pay one millions in cash for just one of these coins, and $100.00 for one picture of just one coin. A singer last name: Oates moved the tavern. I am sure that most stories about bury treasures out West are not true, but it is not my problems since I am not going out West. Best of luck to my friends and hope that they find all that they looking for.

Danny,

when you say "singer last name:Oates, moved the tavern", are you talking about Oates from Hall and Oates? Because That would be freakin rad dude !:headbang:

ibjeepn

May 27, 2012
Butler, Pa
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic Whites Classic II
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes. John Oates

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Danny want be able to answer, he is on a timeout he want return for a month......

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Danny,

when you say "singer last name:Oates, moved the tavern", are you talking about Oates from Hall and Oates? Because That would be freakin rad dude !:headbang:
The one and the same. He must have a lot of money to buy a tavern and move it to another tavern to make one big house. But that what he did. I was inside the Bates tavern and it look great, but the new owner could not keep it up, so Oates purchased it and move it.

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Danny want be able to answer, he is on a timeout he want return for a month......
I feel like we are back in grade school. This guy enjoy letting his friends insult me, then when I defend myself, he banned me. Not for long, I know the owner name and e mail address, and I will file my complaints to him about this guy and others thugs and bullies. All of us know what kind of person this guy is, so I do not have to tell you. Here we are in treasure hunting, and dealing with snakes, rats, bats, and wolves, and the bullies and wimps cry to this guy. I be here until I die, I cannot say this for Treasure Hunter. Shame on him and his friends.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread