German POWs

YooperMomma85

Jun 27, 2019
Newberry MI
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400, Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whilst searching a former CCC camp known for housing Nazi POWs we were really hoping to come across something of Nazi significance. We were not disappointed. The best part about this find is the history behind it. These POWs were treated so well and had such high morale while they were here that even after the war ended and they were shipped home, several returned back and made permanent residence here.

Attachments

• received_1327755097427150.jpeg
    received_1327755097427150.jpeg
    95.2 KB · Views: 85
Upvote 17

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find! Most POW's had any badges with swastikas confiscated from them so finding them in camps seems to be pretty rare...

I thought at first it was the center of a General Assault badge that had been cut up, but the eagle is facing the wrong direction (unless it's just your photo is reversed) Can you post a pic of the back? Is it solid cast metal or stamped sheet metal?

It's got me wondering because it looks like the eagle from an Afrika Korps pith helmet, but those were on a shield shaped badge, and now I want to know what it's from for my own curiosity

weregolf

Jun 14, 2016
Mexico
Detector(s) used
Gemini III, Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, Fisher F2, Deepers 6, OKM rover C
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Cool eagle!

Squirrel322

Silver Member
Jul 4, 2016
Central MI
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Equinox 800, Go-Find 66, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thats an amazing find!

We had a German POW camp here also.

OP
OP
Y

YooperMomma85

Jun 27, 2019
Newberry MI
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400, Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's stamped metal, I'm fairly certain it's the remains of an Afrika Korps helmet shield as there is some flash on the top grooves of the wings itself, perhaps it separated or was cut down not sure. It's still a neat find even if it's altered, for me detecting is pulling history out of the dirt with my bare hands and I truly don't care if I ever make any money at it. It's my solace. ��

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's stamped metal, I'm fairly certain it's the remains of an Afrika Korps helmet shield as there is some flash on the top grooves of the wings itself, perhaps it separated or was cut down not sure. It's still a neat find even if it's altered, for me detecting is pulling history out of the dirt with my bare hands and I truly don't care if I ever make any money at it. It's my solace. ��

Afrika shield makes sense, it should show evidence of attaching pins at the center of the swastika and tops of the wings... And though there's no way to ever know why it was cut out it's easy to imagine maybe one of the POWs making something with it to trade to a guard for some extra coffee or something. Even being altered, having the provenance of coming from a POW camp means it has some collector value, but it's hard to say how much, and it's more interesting for the story it has to tell anyway.

Since you found that there already, there's a good chance there's more to be found. Good luck!

Last edited:

Horst

Apr 13, 2017
Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 + SDC2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
a very nice find from my standpoint of being german I have to say that my grandpa would have loved to be in that place instead of "camping in siberia" for 6 years.....congrats a nice piece of history

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Canadian gov't allowed German prisoners to wear their swastika's while prisoners. I didn't think the US allowed it though. The prisoner that had this pin probably had it in his pocket, not on a hat he wore while a prisoner. Gary

YooperDaddy80

Greenie
Oct 8, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We also found our first "old" silver, it was a great day, and a welcome break from detecting our usual lumber camps IMG_20191005_161502.jpg

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's amazing just to think about the story of that. Great find

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread