Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This adventure took place in August 2006 and was inspired by a forum friend that lives in Southern Arizona USA. I saved this post for winter when I got frozen in and that time is now, it was 13F/-11C yesterday morning. After reading many of my friend’s posts and seeing pictures about Railroad date nails and related finds, I set out to see how the Germans did it. Date nails are nails with numbers in the head to date wooden railroad ties. I had no idea if they used date nails in railroad ties or what to expect from some areas of abandoned railroad track I knew of. Somehow lost several pictures from this post but…Still interesting! I had been driving by a railroad maintenance crew working a track all summer, their small depot of parts were situated at a spot when I noticed a pile of neatly stacked wooden RR ties getting bigger. I stopped one day to talk to the crew as they were near an easy access road by car. Talked to the foreman in charge and explained my curiosity and asked about the pile of wooden RR ties in the depot and wondered if they had any date nails. He knew what I was talking about and gave me permission to look through the pile as they were scheduled to be recycled. He also verified a nearby track had been abandoned and gave me permission to look for date nails and told me where to look for them, most of this track has been removed with the exception of bridges and road intersections that will be removed later. The German train system is owned by the government and not privatized. Here is where I will start a narrative picture post of German RR date nails. This is a picture of an area I knew of, the RR foreman told me about as well. The hotel on the right bought the field to the left from the RR, the tracks have been removed but still remain Gov property. You can see where the tracks once were. Near the wooded area at the end of the field is an old train station. I received permission from the hotel owner to detect the field but the owner warned me as the RR used this area as a collection point when removing the tracks. I only found bolts and iron pieces here.
RRfield.jpg

A section of track at a road intersection with a few wooden RR ties, the Germans did not use many wooden RR ties over the past 100+ years. At the bottom of the picture in the middle of the tie you can see a date nail head.
RRtracksect.jpg

Up close to a date nail, this is a 1961.
RRnailtie.jpg

Found this snake in my venture along the tracks, it was a big one around 18”.
RRsnake.jpg

A railroad station built around 1856, unfortunately, I could not detect it as it has been rented out as a vacation home and there was nobody home. I did detect where the track was and surprised I did not find anything worth mentioning where the passengers boarded the train.
RRstation.jpg

One of three bridges I walked along, this one has had the tracks removed. Along another bridge I was lucky to find an old pile of ties where I found the oldest date nails. The pile had been there so long they rotted together so I could not get to all the date nails with the tools I had.
RRbridge.jpg

An iron/steel RR tie dated 1905. All the ties are iron/steel with the exception of road intersections and the ends of bridges. The ties are approximately 30”/76cm tall, today they use cement ties about the same size.
RRirontie1905.jpg

Several of the date nails I found, had to pry them all out of a tie and none were detecting finds. An American 5 cent coin for size.
RRnails.jpg

The oldest date nails I found, 1901, 1943 and a 1959. I found about 30 in all and left many in the ties. It was a fun adventure! We have about 10”/25CM of snow, now I have to go shovel the driveway. HH, Mike
RRoldnails.jpg

Upvote 0

xlt nh

Jul 28, 2006
Cheshire, Mass
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, DFX 300
Re: German Railroad date nails adventure...

I had no idea that they did this...thanks for sharing! ;D

Hank 8)

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thanks for the story and pics..interesting stuff!

Nat

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great pictures and story. Very cool.
Thanks,
MM

viper771

Jul 17, 2006
Germany

I think i chopped a snake like that in half by accident one time. I felt kind of bad, I didn't see it under the grass I was digging up. I used to hunt for date nails at a kid when living in california. I think my oldest nail was from 1919. Date nails are always fun! I wish we had some snow like that up here in Rhineland Pfalz.. we just got a dusting last night but its all melted away :(

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very iinteresting story Mike. Tsgman

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hi Mike, very interesting story and great pics.

t.p

OP
OP
Bavaria Mike

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks all for the comments! I learned something as well, that is not a snake but a Blindworm. Thought I would share this info about the RR nails I received/learned from a few forum friends since posting this. Check the base of wooden bridges for the nails, on the beams. Around old train stations there usually was a trash pit and or a burn pit, they burned a lot of old RR ties, some nails may have ended up in the trash pile with the ashes and other cool stuff, was suggested to sift the pile. The nails also represent height and size. Some rare nails can sell for more than $150.00 a piece. And certainly do not take any from an active track, besides, they are using them less these days. HH, Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread