German War Criminal lost treasure .

Treasurenut104th

Tenderfoot
May 3, 2017
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was listening to some old men the other day , and they where talking about a small fortune burried some where between Monahans Tx and Kermit Tx . The Story they said was that a German War Criminal that had escaped early prosecution had gotten to Texas and was Fleeing authorities and was shot dead between Monahans and Kermit . The gentleman said that he had been seen in the Monahans area with a box and that one of them said their Grandfather had seen what was in the box and it was gold jewelry and Gems . when he was spotted he took off running in the desert here and when they fount him they said he had no box so he had to have dug a hole and put it in there . I was wondering if any one eles has herd this story here in west texas thanx please let me know if you have .

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
I was listening to some old men the other day , and they where talking about a small fortune burried some where between Monahans Tx and Kermit Tx . The Story they said was that a German War Criminal that had escaped early prosecution had gotten to Texas and was Fleeing authorities and was shot dead between Monahans and Kermit . The gentleman said that he had been seen in the Monahans area with a box and that one of them said their Grandfather had seen what was in the box and it was gold jewelry and Gems . when he was spotted he took off running in the desert here and when they fount him they said he had no box so he had to have dug a hole and put it in there . I was wondering if any one eles has herd this story here in west texas thanx please let me know if you have .
Quite intriguing. I always wonder on these cases, if they were found and the finder kept quiet about it. Of course it could be waiting for someone to dig in the right spot too.

OP
OP
T

Treasurenut104th

Tenderfoot
May 3, 2017
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quite intriguing. I always wonder on these cases, if they were found and the finder kept quiet about it. Of course it could be waiting for someone to dig in the right spot too.
But trying to find the right area is the problem

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I remember well about 40 yrs ago driving nearly 80 miles of highway past "No Trespassing" signage.
This really baffled the hell out me and finally stopping and asking at the next stop I was informed it belonged to the Hunt family.
So just seeing the arial mapping in and around your query it seems the oil companies own a good portion of the lands. The other landowners are big ranches that have a big issue with the oil companies. Every white dot is a well site.

So the hopes of ever exploring the lands in and around the area might be a tad hard to access permission.
Interesting article in the link about one rancher (20,000 acre) and the fight with big oil.

Solution for big oil is to buy out the ranchers tallied up now to over 370,395 acres—larger than several Texas counties.

In the past couple of decades, oil companies have quietly become significant landowners in West Texas. Chevron owns 12,647 acres of ranchland in Crane County, home to Antina Ranch, and 34,411 acres next door in Upton County. Most of that is the former McElroy Ranch, which Chevron bought in 1990 and closed to quail hunters. “We could make our operations more efficient by buying the surface and making sure there were no trespassers on the ranch,” a Chevron spokesperson told the Odessa American a few days after the sale.

Also in Upton County, SM Energy, Pioneer Natural Resources, ConocoPhillips, and Apache Oil each own more than 7,000 acres apiece. In Crane, ExxonMobil owns 14,410 acres. Late last year, a company with the generic name US Land Guild bought the 13,600-acre Doodle Bug Ranch, in Crane. The company’s address is the same as that of Blackbeard Operating, a private Fort Worth oil company that already owns 8,368 acres in the county.

Screen Shot 2023-05-13 at 8.14.45 AM.png

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread