Will a Digger Bend?

Bud-J

Greenie
Apr 25, 2023
Upstate New York
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I need to purchase a small shovel that has a blade length of about 7”-11” and is around 32”-36” in total length.
My question is…let’s assume you have a blade of 11” but your target is only about 6”. If you push in around 6” and make a plug, could the blade possibly bend since you didn’t go all the way to the step?
Obviously it may if you start to pry under large roots, but I’m talking about just dirt.
All videos show someone punching in to the max. I can’t see going down 11” if your target is 6”. Some may say to then use a hand digger…and I agree. But due to bad knees I need to bend over as little as possible.

Hbot37

Bronze Member
Jul 7, 2022
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a predator hand digger and a predator shovel. I put all of my 200 lbs behind trying to pry all manner of things up with them all the time and they havent broken or bent yet. I doubt youd bend it pushing against a few inches of dirt.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I need to purchase a small shovel that has a blade length of about 7”-11” and is around 32”-36” in total length.
My question is…let’s assume you have a blade of 11” but your target is only about 6”. If you push in around 6” and make a plug, could the blade possibly bend since you didn’t go all the way to the step?
Obviously it may if you start to pry under large roots, but I’m talking about just dirt.
All videos show someone punching in to the max. I can’t see going down 11” if your target is 6”. Some may say to then use a hand digger…and I agree. But due to bad knees I need to bend over as little as possible.
Spend the money the first time, and it will probably be the last time you'll have to buy a shovel.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread