Getting a new coil for the DFX

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
Anyone know any reviews or got any recommendations for sniper coil for the DFX? Or how about the validation studies for the coils? Does White's publish them? The areas I've been THing are pretty trashy so I was thinking of some kind of sniper coil or DD, but I wasn't sure if the DD would serve the same purpose. I looked through the coils in the Whites Accessory Guide and can't really make up my mind. I really want the coil that will hands down perform the BEST in the high trash areas. Pinching pennys really isn't an option for me here, so price doesn't matter.

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
I am happy with the DD 1400 because it allows me to cut through the heavy ground mineralization we have hear in oregon. I can now hear deeper signals that I couldn't get before. I have only had my machine a short time, but I could tell the difference right away. Just my .02 cents on the DD 1400.

However, if you are wanting too get between trash, smaller coil sounds more like what you are wanting. But remember, with smaller coils comes losing deeper targets. It's a trade off that everyone has to make. I just use my DD 1400 for everything, because I would rather have a chance at hearing a deeper coin masked by junk then to never hear the coin at all....Once again, it's my opinion ;D

OP
OP
Skrimpy

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
Stormtrooper154 said:
I am happy with the DD 1400 because it allows me to cut through the heavy ground mineralization we have hear in oregon. I can now hear deeper signals that I couldn't get before. I have only had my machine a short time, but I could tell the difference right away. Just my .02 cents on the DD 1400.

However, if you are wanting too get between trash, smaller coil sounds more like what you are wanting. But remember, with smaller coils comes losing deeper targets. It's a trade off that everyone has to make. I just use my DD 1400 for everything, because I would rather have a chance at hearing a deeper coin masked by junk then to never hear the coin at all....Once again, it's my opinion ;D

The way I understood it you do lose depth but you can run them somewhat hotter than a stock because you get less signal bouncing back because of the small footprint, thus compensating at least a little bit for the loss of depth, but not compeletely...of course, I haven't the experience with a smaller coil to back it up, it's just what I've been reading that leads me to believe this. I have a theory that when it's all said and done for trashy areas the ONLY way to really get beneath the junk is to work a site over until you've removed most, if not all of it in layers using bigger, thinner coils as you go. The truth is really (and coil manufacturers don't want anyone to believe this) that if there is enough crap in the ground you aren't going to hear that SLQ at 6 inches below that sheet of nails at 4 no matter how big, or small your coil is. I'm just working my way slowly to that bigfoot coil by starting at the surface.

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
It's just like my DD 1400, I may not be physically getting deeper depth out of it over the stock coil, but I am hearing deeper signals because it is cutting out ground mineraliztion, thus I am finding older/deeper coins.

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII
How many filters are you guys using. The manual says there are 2 all the way to 6. It seems like to increase depth in mineralized soil you need to
use 6 filters and speed up the target recovery rate.

Judging from the manual. It would also indicate a slow swing speed and tone ID(on) would also help.

Are you already doing all this?

Just curious. ;)

Ridley

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
For trashy areas you would definitely want to go smaller. You could go with the 4x6, which I heard gives the best separation. But I went with the 5.3, because it gives better depth and the separation in trashy parks is fine. I hunt trashy parks all the time with mine. Since i put it on I have never used the stock coil again!

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
I just duplicated the stock coin/jewelry program and beefed up the preamp, AC, and lowered the sweep speed, tone ID on, and VCO on. Other then that, I haven't done much programing. I have only had the DFX 2 months now, I am still learning also ;D

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Stormtrooper154 said:
I just duplicated the stock coin/jewelry program and beefed up the preamp, AC, and lowered the sweep speed, tone ID on, and VCO on. Other then that, I haven't done much programing. I have only had the DFX 2 months now, I am still learning also ;D
I'm really excited about the tone ID feature. That's the first thing I'm going to play with. I do know of a few places where I've found silver dimes (3-4 inches with my SLII). That's the next thing.

To crank up the preamp and see what's deeper. One adjustment at a time to avoid confusion, is what they suggest.

Ridley

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Ridley said:
Stormtrooper154 said:
I'm really excited about the tone ID feature. That's the first thing I'm going to play with. I do know of a few places where I've found silver dimes (3-4 inches with my SLII). That's the next thing.

To crank up the preamp and see what's deeper. One adjustment at a time to avoid confusion, is what they suggest.

Ridley

"They" are correct. ;D However, turning your Tone ID & VCO on at the same time is OK...One is used in all metal mode to pinpoint. I started off by bumping up my preamps, tone id, and VCO and didn't have any problems. Then I adjusted my AC.....No Problems......Then my sweep speed. Now I just have to lower the AC and preamp when needed for different locations, and turn them back up when no electrical issues/ground mineralization are in the area I am detecting.

OP
OP
Skrimpy

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
Ridley said:
Ridley

I love tone ID. Less looking at the display. Get Jeff Fosters book. Hes got a good flow chart on how to optimize the juice for any particular gound conditions. If I use one of the factory programs I ALWAYS turn tone ID and VCO on and turn off the ratchet pin pointing.

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Skrimpy said:
Ridley said:
Ridley

I love tone ID. Less looking at the display. Get Jeff Fosters book. Hes got a good flow chart on how to optimize the juice for any particular gound conditions. If I use one of the factory programs I ALWAYS turn tone ID and VCO on and turn off the ratchet pin pointing.
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll definitely try it with ratchet off. I'm ordering the Jeff Foster book tonight! ;)

Ridley

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread