Getting back in the game

Murph

Jul 19, 2004
sarasota
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT
Use to enjoy visiting this forum many moons ago. At the time I had a radio shack toy machine but was able to make some nice finds on the beach despite the poor equipment. Christmas rolled around and my nephew, who since he was able to crawl seemed oddly drawn to this machine, was old enough to start swinging it so I gifted it to him.

My brother in law then became interested while taking the little guy out on trips and now has his own machine and the two are now swinging away in the Brunswick area of Georgia. The cheap little detector served its purpose in more ways than one.

I then turned my interest to kayak fishing in the inter-coastal water ways of west coast Florida but as water quality has visibly declined in the short period of being involved in this hobby my joy slowly has turned to disgust and I sold off the equipment to a newbie who does not remember the hey day of fishing this area. I have been fishing these waters since the early 80s in one way shape or form and the decline of the fishery and water quality became more than I wanted to be witness to on a monthly basis.

The funds have been put toward an Ace 250 and I am eager to get started. Made my first mistake however when ordering from a company that's about 3 hours driving time from my house I upgraded shipping to 3 day air. ??? It will probably take more time to get here than if I just ground shipped it. Going to try and contact the company this morning and change shipping method.

I think I may have an old friend interested in getting into the hobby also and plan on hitting the beach this weekend. I hope to make a decent find to get the the ball rolling and have a search partner. I have thought of planting the wedding band I found with my old radio shack machine and let him find it. I worry that this somewhat unethical act might somehow anger the metal detecting gods however ;)

My search area will encompass the Tampa to Boca Grand area of the west coast of FL. Any suggestions for good grounds in this area are welcome.

On a side note something I found odd about this hobby is the 14kt white gold wedding band I found has two different values. When its actually in the jewelers case it seems to be worth a few hundred dollars. When it is in my hand however its scrap gold and only worth 25 bucks. vary strange indeed. Must be some kind of profit deal for the jewelry store owner

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions