Getting back into detecting XLT or DFX

jeb

Feb 25, 2014
New Rochelle NY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello... I've been out of detecting for awhile, and have the itch to start again. When I stopped (1998) I was using an XLT. Since then I see that Whites now has a DFX and a V3i. I really liked my XLT and was thinking about getting another. Have any of you had the XLT and went for one of the newer ones? Were you glad you made the change? Basically should I go for one of the newer models.

Thanks Jeb

Jeb I just was on the phone with a fellow metal detector fan, and he told me that he is in love with his XLT, he bought TWO DFX, on two separate moments since he felt that the DFX could have been a good upgrade to the XLT, fact is he ended up selling both times the DFX and kept his XLT.
I never had a XLT or DFX but I did have a V3i, and a MXT and let me tell you that having both every time I went out I ended up picking up the MXT over the V3i, Both got sold, the v3i because I couldn't make myself like it and the MXT because I was trying to force myself to use the V3i more.
Well now, after having gone through lot's of other detectors and brands, I have a M6 on the way home (hope to have it by the end of the week) and a new MX5... we shall see how they perform but I think I will be happy.

Hi Jeb; Hands down get the DFX. You will NEVER need another detector if you do ok. That is a PERIOD from a guy with 45 years of using Whites ok. Best wishes. PEACE:RONB

Now to take the other side of the argument: Get the XLT. I've had both and the XLT is simpler to operate and probably gets as good performance in most conditions. If you're just getting back into the hobby, why not start back with the XLT, a detector you already know a little about, and just get out there. Then after awhile with the XLT, start thinking about another detector if you are still wanting to try something new. But for now, the XLT will be a great detector. I had both the DXF and V3i and now I'm back to the XLT and very happy. And I think you will be too.

I'll throw in my 2 pennies too. If your willing to learn the machine the V3i is awesome. Some people do not want to learn new technology and that's fine too. What ever you feel the most comfortable with and the most confident may get you more finds than trying something that's over your head so to speak. But it's an amazing machine in the right hands. Good luck with whatever you decide!

If you were to get a M6, MXT, or the DFX and later you decided to upgrade to the V3i you would be able to use the same coils, so that would be my choice if your looking at getting back into detecting. If you end up with another XLT which are great detectors you won't be able to use the coils if you would later upgrade to a newer machine. HH

I have used an XLT for many years. Great fast swing machine. I would never sell it. I also own an MXT. It is a little noisy but fine.

I doubt that many machines can go much deeper than the XLT, but it's downfalls are the 6.59khz frequency will not be as sensitive to gold and the fast sweep speed may not be as effective in trashy areas.

My dream setup is XLT with a Bigfoot coil and a CZ7a pro.

Believe it or not that XLT will hang with most detectors out there now. That machine was and still is a BEAST

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back