getting discouraged..

darktower007

Feb 21, 2017
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus/Vaquero/At Max/fisher f70/carrot pen pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I started out with the AT pro all I dug was crap. Cans pull tabs everything. I then changed location to an old school, and found coins everywhere. All modern clad, but I learned what the machine was telling me.

Now, only 6 months in and 6 detectors later (I know I have a problem!) I'm learning the Etrac and deus and 98% of the silver I've found... have been at old homes I've gotten permission at.

When I first knocked on a door.. it was like I was going on my first date, I was scared!

They answered and said sure I don't care. Wow... that wasn't to bad.

That same home built in 1942 I pulled my first standing liberty quarter and 3 mercury dimes!

Don't give up, location and research is key. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13dolphins1

Gold Member
Jul 6, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I started out with the AT pro all I dug was crap. Cans pull tabs everything. I then changed location to an old school, and found coins everywhere. All modern clad, but I learned what the machine was telling me.

Now, only 6 months in and 6 detectors later (I know I have a problem!) I'm learning the Etrac and deus and 98% of the silver I've found... have been at old homes I've gotten permission at.

When I first knocked on a door.. it was like I was going on my first date, I was scared!

They answered and said sure I don't care. Wow... that wasn't to bad.

That same home built in 1942 I pulled my first standing liberty quarter and 3 mercury dimes!

Don't give up, location and research is key. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do you like the etrac or dues better? Thinking about upgrading my Pro as well...thanks

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

diggerdave46

Greenie
Jul 20, 2015
titusville fla
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try finding a new place to work look for old home sites watch nuggetnoggin on u tube he will show the real results of how to detect.

Nevada Prospector

Aug 16, 2017
Southern Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher GB II, Etc, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Other
Jenni, I can sympathize with you as I have been there too. I'm mostly a relic hunter but also do nugget hunting which takes a specialized machine. After I started nugget hunting I spent at lest 100 hours at one old mine site before I found a gold nugget. The next day I found two more! I was beginning to believe that there was nothing to find except nails. After the three nuggets I was the local hero for a while as no one else could find gold either. Most people that try never find the gold unless they enlist the help of a guide and then some never do. This should give you a clue that it ain't easy. My suggestion is to use your imagination and it may take some time for it to click in but the good places to hunt will eventually come your way. The detector shows make it look easy but no one would watch them if it was all true life reality. Hang in there and HH! Nevada Prospector Jack

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
Think we've all been there Jenni. You mentioned 10 to 15 hours on your machine. That's probably the time when most decide this sucks or I'm going to push on. As many before me have said it take's patience and it really helps to do research. To me that's half the fun of it. When it's raining, research! When it's not, get out there and see what your research has done for you. No better feeling to find one nice piece from an area that you put some research time into:icon_thumright:

There are some good tools on the interweb. Here's one that might help you get started. https://www.historicaerials.com/ Maybe other's can mention some other's they use. It's helped me on some farms that I hunt. BUT!................

Even tho a place seems like it should hold countless treasure's according to your research, there are no guarantee's. Case in point, one farm that I hunt date's back to the late 1800's. I've hunted it so many time's I can't even remember how many. Have found ton's of old iron relic's, pieces of farm implements, and sometime's things that are good enough to hang on the wall. But originally I went out there to find old coins and jewelry. I just had/have it my head that there has to be some coins out there somewhere and not alway's where the house use to stand. Finally, on my 8th or 9th time, (at least 80 to 100 hrs.) I found an 1835 LC. Think I rolled around in the grass with excitement:laughing7:. If something should be there, and your pretty sure it hasn't been hammered by other's, keep after it. I'm still hunting it.

As far as you purchasing the AT Pro, that's what I use. There will probably be a long learning curve for you compared to what you mentioned your using now. Most will say listen to the sounds it's telling you. There are some good youtube's on the machine that you should watch, especially the one's from Garrett. I would suggest if you can, to also purchase the 5x8 coil. It's great in trashy area's, but again don't expect to be plucking treasure's out of the ground in every plug. I've only got a couple of hundred hours on mine, and I'm still learning. One tip: Swing slow. And when you think your swinging slow, go slower. Soon you'll be able to get a picture in your mind of what may be down there.

Hope you find that 1800's coin soon, and once you do you'll be like the rest of us. HOOKED:hello2:

:hello:HH

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the getting acquainted with your detector time.

If it hasn't been mentioned yet, a test garden may help you identify items your coil goes over. So you have a better idea of what it maybe and weather you want to dig it or not.
A clear area in your yard (metal removed) you can place coins and trash on the ground, cover them with news paper and run your detector over them. You can make adjustments to the detector to see what settings work best for you.
Place the items next to each other see what they sound and read like.
The more you know what your detector is trying to tell you the better able you will be to make the kind of finds your looking for.

And also if what you are looking for isn't there, you won't find it. It has to be there, you have to run your coil over it in order to find it.
And yes alot of us are finding peace of mind. One of the few non metal items we do find. [emoji3]
Treasure has a habit of turning up when you lest exspect it.

I can tell you that on my detector a nickle reads between 18-20 and has a mid tone sound, anything higher is usually a pull tab or other weird stuff. Can slaw gets me everytime though, reads quarter and usually deeper.

Relax and enjoy the hobby, you'll do just fine.

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on realizing that these machines called metal detectors are trash locaters. It doesn't matter if you have $50 or a $2000+ machine you're going to dig trash, and there's no way around that one.
Watching a video of somebody digging out a great find is just an editing job, hype, and sharing it with the world.
Reality is one dreams of digging a keeper and with every good sounding target that thought races through the brain it seems.
Digging up a piece of trash is now a "well it could been" statement, as I'm pretty well out of the urban hunting grounds in my life. (parks, schools, etc..)
Not that I haven't dug probably 100,000's of holes in them it's the fact that when I'm out in a field or bush, I'm alone with what I love to do and that's detect.
45+ yrs later nothing has changed, my machines are the best money can buy, the trash keeps coming.
I'm a newbie on any machine until I have a 1000 hrs under my belt (that's my minimum time limit of learning) Some might believe it can be achieved in 1/10th of that time and maybe so.
But the time spent out detecting is time not spent thinking about anything, a great therapy for the mind, and body. Digging something good is a bonus and a reward for having time alone and having fun digging dirt.
Great post up, BTW

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jenni Lee, I think that you will do just " Dandy". Sounds like you do have the interest, and therefore will become your hobby, and then as for many of us, may become an "obsession", and it's one we love. Learn as you go, I somehow feel that you will be posting something really cool.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I can't wait to be a pro at this... but I am going to be patient and learn the process so that I can appreciate it that much more. thanks again!

You won't even notice, you'll just look at your pile one day and realize you have a collection of treasure. There will be many trips finding squat.

I was out of the hobby for 25 years and returned just 4 1/2 years ago. When I came back I still had my Fisher, joined here and "studied". It was my choice to go multi-frequency, so went first for a Etrac, sold that and went CTX. And I also wanted to water hunt, so went with the Excal II on that end.

The first couple of years back were iffy times, didn't get out much. This is my second solid year of hunting, but really don't get out as much as I'd like. I've done that 100 hours on each my CTX and Excal, thus I find I'm able to make "field decisions" by listening to the targets - I really don't pay attention to TID numbers.

And I also log each hunt into a database software I found on the Net. That keeps it interesting for me too in the off times - like it's raining hard out my window this morning. So, updating that database keeps me thinking of my next venture out - encourages me.

It also helps me dispel some myths I had. I was thinking that the water held the most jewelry finds. In logging the data I find that dirt & water are about equal in jewelry finds.

I have my shelving loaded with coffee cans with clad & cents separated, and closed by year. I haven't cashed any in yet, no need to. It's going to pay for my next detector - nothing on the market right now that I'm interested in.

I've grown a little collection of toy cars, have a container for nice junk jewelry, one for junk jewelry, and one for seriously junk jewelry :)

Some of the miscellaneous things I've found, I actually actively use. Things I'd have never purchased.

You'll find along the way that you need a tumbler, a set up for electrolysis, gold & silver test kit, a weight scale, a digital microscope camera for those very tiny 925 or 10k etc markings - but those needn't be immediate priorities. You'll accumulate them along the way.

The best way to learn any detector is to seriously listen to the sounds it makes. Over time you'll understand the patterns.

If you're digging rusty razors, maybe you might want to take your Disc up a notch. Take it up until you can't hear a nickel, and lower it until you can hear the nickel and leave it there for a while. Everyone says that when you first start a hobby, dig everything - and I agree with that. But now as you've put some hours in, I'd give yourself a break for a little bit. Digging everything gets to be almost like punishment, and that will wear you out. It's also about fun & delight. You've all the time in the world to use any method which pleases you.

So be generous with yourself too. You can't learn a lot of anything with 15 hours swinging under your finds pouch.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even though Youtube videos only show the good finds and not all the trash and hours of nothing...but, they do find all the great stuff they are showing...you stick with it and hunt enough and you will find great things.

scruggs

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2008
Northern Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome aboard! A lot of good stuff is written above. The more you hunt the better it will get. To get the good stuff your going to dig some trash, don't get discouraged. Make your self a test garden. Put down a bottle cap then skip about 8 inches and put down a pull tab then a piece of aluminum foil then a quarter, dime and so on. Now run your coil over each one slowly, while listening to the sound changes your detector makes. You will get better, practice and practice some more! Good luck to you!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Jenni Lee,

Do not worry, we all have dry spells while enjoying this great hobby. In terms of trash, the more you go out and detect the more trash you will accumulate, but the more treasure too!
Researching for older sites tend to give the results you wish.

You do not have your detector listed, but learning your machine is a must and that comes with hours of detecting.

I wish you well and if you have specific questions on machines, hunting style, research or general metal detecting; please feel free to PM me.

GL & HH

Best Regards,

Doc

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chin up little Buckaroo. Yeah, I watch YouTube videos too. I actually made a few of my own. They rarely take the time to show you the trash they dig. Just well edited SWEET OLD ROUNDNESS!!! Reality check. They either dig trash as well or they are missing some potentially great finds. As another poster has stated enjoying the hunt and having the "keeper" finds as an added bonus is the key for many treasure hunters. I can go for weeks without finding a keeper and I don't give up or quit. I still enjoy being out in nature chasing another keeper and if I don't find it that's ok. If this is your first season of hunting stick around. Every year you get better and learn more about your machine and where to find the good stuff. It does take some time but, I think you're worth the investment. :hello:

OP
OP
Jenni_Lee

Jenni_Lee

Aug 25, 2017
Spokane, Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Think we've all been there Jenni. You mentioned 10 to 15 hours on your machine. That's probably the time when most decide this sucks or I'm going to push on. As many before me have said it take's patience and it really helps to do research. To me that's half the fun of it. When it's raining, research! When it's not, get out there and see what your research has done for you. No better feeling to find one nice piece from an area that you put some research time into:icon_thumright:

There are some good tools on the interweb. Here's one that might help you get started. https://www.historicaerials.com/ Maybe other's can mention some other's they use. It's helped me on some farms that I hunt. BUT!................

Even tho a place seems like it should hold countless treasure's according to your research, there are no guarantee's. Case in point, one farm that I hunt date's back to the late 1800's. I've hunted it so many time's I can't even remember how many. Have found ton's of old iron relic's, pieces of farm implements, and sometime's things that are good enough to hang on the wall. But originally I went out there to find old coins and jewelry. I just had/have it my head that there has to be some coins out there somewhere and not alway's where the house use to stand. Finally, on my 8th or 9th time, (at least 80 to 100 hrs.) I found an 1835 LC. Think I rolled around in the grass with excitement:laughing7:. If something should be there, and your pretty sure it hasn't been hammered by other's, keep after it. I'm still hunting it.

As far as you purchasing the AT Pro, that's what I use. There will probably be a long learning curve for you compared to what you mentioned your using now. Most will say listen to the sounds it's telling you. There are some good youtube's on the machine that you should watch, especially the one's from Garrett. I would suggest if you can, to also purchase the 5x8 coil. It's great in trashy area's, but again don't expect to be plucking treasure's out of the ground in every plug. I've only got a couple of hundred hours on mine, and I'm still learning. One tip: Swing slow. And when you think your swinging slow, go slower. Soon you'll be able to get a picture in your mind of what may be down there.

Hope you find that 1800's coin soon, and once you do you'll be like the rest of us. HOOKED:hello2:

:hello:HH

i can only imagine how excited you were to find that 1835 LC! Good for you and your perseverance.
Thanks so much for responding

OP
OP
Jenni_Lee

Jenni_Lee

Aug 25, 2017
Spokane, Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the getting acquainted with your detector time.

If it hasn't been mentioned yet, a test garden may help you identify items your coil goes over. So you have a better idea of what it maybe and weather you want to dig it or not.
A clear area in your yard (metal removed) you can place coins and trash on the ground, cover them with news paper and run your detector over them. You can make adjustments to the detector to see what settings work best for you.
Place the items next to each other see what they sound and read like.
The more you know what your detector is trying to tell you the better able you will be to make the kind of finds your looking for.

And also if what you are looking for isn't there, you won't find it. It has to be there, you have to run your coil over it in order to find it.
And yes alot of us are finding peace of mind. One of the few non metal items we do find. [emoji3]
Treasure has a habit of turning up when you lest exspect it.

I can tell you that on my detector a nickle reads between 18-20 and has a mid tone sound, anything higher is usually a pull tab or other weird stuff. Can slaw gets me everytime though, reads quarter and usually deeper.

Relax and enjoy the hobby, you'll do just fine.

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

Thank you. I've just now taken it out in my yard and threw some things on the ground to see what items make what tones. It was quite helpful.

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jenni_Lee, Looks like you have so much good advice all I can say is keep at it and listen to what you have been given, come back and ask when you have a question as there is a lot of great people and knowledge here (if you haven't already gathered that by now!) and Good Luck, Happy Hunting and keep us up to date with how it goes! Remember that youtube is great entertainment and we are doing the living thing. ENJOY!:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Jenni_Lee

Jenni_Lee

Aug 25, 2017
Spokane, Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chin up little Buckaroo. Yeah, I watch YouTube videos too. I actually made a few of my own. They rarely take the time to show you the trash they dig. Just well edited SWEET OLD ROUNDNESS!!! Reality check. They either dig trash as well or they are missing some potentially great finds. As another poster has stated enjoying the hunt and having the "keeper" finds as an added bonus is the key for many treasure hunters. I can go for weeks without finding a keeper and I don't give up or quit. I still enjoy being out in nature chasing another keeper and if I don't find it that's ok. If this is your first season of hunting stick around. Every year you get better and learn more about your machine and where to find the good stuff. It does take some time but, I think you're worth the investment. :hello:

i agree, definitely worth the wait.

OP
OP
Jenni_Lee

Jenni_Lee

Aug 25, 2017
Spokane, Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Jenni Lee,

Do not worry, we all have dry spells while enjoying this great hobby. In terms of trash, the more you go out and detect the more trash you will accumulate, but the more treasure too!
Researching for older sites tend to give the results you wish.

You do not have your detector listed, but learning your machine is a must and that comes with hours of detecting.

I wish you well and if you have specific questions on machines, hunting style, research or general metal detecting; please feel free to PM me.

GL & HH

Best Regards,

Doc

Thank you very much!!! I hope you meant that offer because i will likely take you up on that and message you :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread