OP
OP
Jenni_Lee

Jenni_Lee

Aug 25, 2017
Spokane, Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard! A lot of good stuff is written above. The more you hunt the better it will get. To get the good stuff your going to dig some trash, don't get discouraged. Make your self a test garden. Put down a bottle cap then skip about 8 inches and put down a pull tab then a piece of aluminum foil then a quarter, dime and so on. Now run your coil over each one slowly, while listening to the sound changes your detector makes. You will get better, practice and practice some more! Good luck to you!

I tried the test garden last night. I can see why it's so important. I spent some time listening to the different tones. It was a lot of help. thank you

OP
OP
Jenni_Lee

Jenni_Lee

Aug 25, 2017
Spokane, Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even though Youtube videos only show the good finds and not all the trash and hours of nothing...but, they do find all the great stuff they are showing...you stick with it and hunt enough and you will find great things.

Thank you!!!! i hope to find great things soon! And stay safe down in Florida.

OP
OP
Jenni_Lee

Jenni_Lee

Aug 25, 2017
Spokane, Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jenni_Lee, Looks like you have so much good advice all I can say is keep at it and listen to what you have been given, come back and ask when you have a question as there is a lot of great people and knowledge here (if you haven't already gathered that by now!) and Good Luck, Happy Hunting and keep us up to date with how it goes! Remember that youtube is great entertainment and we are doing the living thing. ENJOY!:icon_thumright:

I cannot believe how many people have offered their advice. Everyone here is really great! Thank you!

OP
OP
Jenni_Lee

Jenni_Lee

Aug 25, 2017
Spokane, Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on realizing that these machines called metal detectors are trash locaters. It doesn't matter if you have $50 or a $2000+ machine you're going to dig trash, and there's no way around that one.
Watching a video of somebody digging out a great find is just an editing job, hype, and sharing it with the world.
Reality is one dreams of digging a keeper and with every good sounding target that thought races through the brain it seems.
Digging up a piece of trash is now a "well it could been" statement, as I'm pretty well out of the urban hunting grounds in my life. (parks, schools, etc..)
Not that I haven't dug probably 100,000's of holes in them it's the fact that when I'm out in a field or bush, I'm alone with what I love to do and that's detect.
45+ yrs later nothing has changed, my machines are the best money can buy, the trash keeps coming.
I'm a newbie on any machine until I have a 1000 hrs under my belt (that's my minimum time limit of learning) Some might believe it can be achieved in 1/10th of that time and maybe so.
But the time spent out detecting is time not spent thinking about anything, a great therapy for the mind, and body. Digging something good is a bonus and a reward for having time alone and having fun digging dirt.
Great post up, BTW

Thank you for the input and your response. I am relieved to hear even the $2000 detectors will locate trash as well!
I'm enjoying the therapy for the mind as of now. :)

OP
OP
Jenni_Lee

Jenni_Lee

Aug 25, 2017
Spokane, Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jenni Lee, I think that you will do just " Dandy". Sounds like you do have the interest, and therefore will become your hobby, and then as for many of us, may become an "obsession", and it's one we love. Learn as you go, I somehow feel that you will be posting something really cool.

I can see this becoming an obsession very easily. I'm sitting at work, wishing i was out scoping a new place to metal detect right now! lol

OP
OP
Jenni_Lee

Jenni_Lee

Aug 25, 2017
Spokane, Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You won't even notice, you'll just look at your pile one day and realize you have a collection of treasure. There will be many trips finding squat.

I was out of the hobby for 25 years and returned just 4 1/2 years ago. When I came back I still had my Fisher, joined here and "studied". It was my choice to go multi-frequency, so went first for a Etrac, sold that and went CTX. And I also wanted to water hunt, so went with the Excal II on that end.

The first couple of years back were iffy times, didn't get out much. This is my second solid year of hunting, but really don't get out as much as I'd like. I've done that 100 hours on each my CTX and Excal, thus I find I'm able to make "field decisions" by listening to the targets - I really don't pay attention to TID numbers.

And I also log each hunt into a database software I found on the Net. That keeps it interesting for me too in the off times - like it's raining hard out my window this morning. So, updating that database keeps me thinking of my next venture out - encourages me.

It also helps me dispel some myths I had. I was thinking that the water held the most jewelry finds. In logging the data I find that dirt & water are about equal in jewelry finds.

I have my shelving loaded with coffee cans with clad & cents separated, and closed by year. I haven't cashed any in yet, no need to. It's going to pay for my next detector - nothing on the market right now that I'm interested in.

I've grown a little collection of toy cars, have a container for nice junk jewelry, one for junk jewelry, and one for seriously junk jewelry :)

Some of the miscellaneous things I've found, I actually actively use. Things I'd have never purchased.

You'll find along the way that you need a tumbler, a set up for electrolysis, gold & silver test kit, a weight scale, a digital microscope camera for those very tiny 925 or 10k etc markings - but those needn't be immediate priorities. You'll accumulate them along the way.

The best way to learn any detector is to seriously listen to the sounds it makes. Over time you'll understand the patterns.

If you're digging rusty razors, maybe you might want to take your Disc up a notch. Take it up until you can't hear a nickel, and lower it until you can hear the nickel and leave it there for a while. Everyone says that when you first start a hobby, dig everything - and I agree with that. But now as you've put some hours in, I'd give yourself a break for a little bit. Digging everything gets to be almost like punishment, and that will wear you out. It's also about fun & delight. You've all the time in the world to use any method which pleases you.

So be generous with yourself too. You can't learn a lot of anything with 15 hours swinging under your finds pouch.

I'm already getting quite the collection, mostly of random iron things that I have no idea what they are! lol

I really like the idea of inventorying everything you collect so that you can see it on paper as well. That's an awesome idea. I'll have to consider that.

It sounds like there is a lot more equipment involved than I ever imagined!!! I anticipated the microscope but had no idea there was so much more involved in this hobby.
Thank you for the tips and advice! I'll look into it

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly half the fun is doing the research to where to go hunt for me. One thing you really have to come to grips with just as said many times already in this thread, You will have to dig trash and lots of it. After a while you can eliminate some of the trash targets but it is not 100% that is all you pass up. The way I always look at it is, I always try to increase my good finds to trash ratio. Any way possible, and the tactic used changes depending on where I am hunting. Put in the time and learn your machine, Spend the time to research where you are going to hunt and enjoy yourself..:icon_thumright:

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice to see another gal getting into this adventure ! You will do fine , your plan to upgrade to an AT Pro is a good plan - from what i hear that's a solid machine - and you can hit streams and swimming holes since they are waterproof ! I would like one for that reason . I can't add much to the incredible advice and encouragement that you already received - just adding my voice to all who said this is about getting outdoors ,exploring new places ,enjoying the adventures ,and occasionally finding something really wonderful !

OP
OP
Jenni_Lee

Jenni_Lee

Aug 25, 2017
Spokane, Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly half the fun is doing the research to where to go hunt for me. One thing you really have to come to grips with just as said many times already in this thread, You will have to dig trash and lots of it. After a while you can eliminate some of the trash targets but it is not 100% that is all you pass up. The way I always look at it is, I always try to increase my good finds to trash ratio. Any way possible, and the tactic used changes depending on where I am hunting. Put in the time and learn your machine, Spend the time to research where you are going to hunt and enjoy yourself..:icon_thumright:

i'm coming to grips with that. It's something i'm learning quite quickly. Thank you for your input.

OP
OP
Jenni_Lee

Jenni_Lee

Aug 25, 2017
Spokane, Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice to see another gal getting into this adventure ! You will do fine , your plan to upgrade to an AT Pro is a good plan - from what i hear that's a solid machine - and you can hit streams and swimming holes since they are waterproof ! I would like one for that reason . I can't add much to the incredible advice and encouragement that you already received - just adding my voice to all who said this is about getting outdoors ,exploring new places ,enjoying the adventures ,and occasionally finding something really wonderful !

It's funny you said that because I was just thinking that I've not seen any other girls on here yet. I hope to make some good friends though, male or female :)

OP
OP
Jenni_Lee

Jenni_Lee

Aug 25, 2017
Spokane, Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
*UPDATE*
I made it out yesterday to another park. I scoured the entire play area to only find bottle caps and gum wrappers. I headed for a big beautiful tree over in the grass and ding ding ding... a whopping quarter!
And then you'll never guess what I found next?!?!?! A bright , black and orange SNAKE! NOOOOOO THANK YOU!!!!!! I ran like mad and I haven't been back since. I think I'll leave that park for the other detectors in town! :)

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Jenni, These people here are wonderful! Always give Great Tips and Advice. My join date appears recent but I've actually been here a few years and it's been an amazing learning experience.

I started Detecting with a Radio Shack Detector and have had several machines. My Whites DFX Is My Primary and I Love It! I do want to get a Completely Waterproof unit and have gotten some good advice from members here that actually have experience with what I'm looking for. Keep comparing MD's and if you have a dealer close, go try out different ones to see what fits You and Your Needs. You don't want fatigue! I've heard great things about the AT PRO, but have never used it. Several people recommended the Tesoro Tiger Shark, but I've yet to try it on either. It sounds like exactly what I want, thanks to MzJ. I've also considered another Whites since I Love my DFX.

Please don't get discouraged. EVERYONE FINDS MORE TRASH THAN TREASURE! lol! I wear on my Detecting Belt A Softball Umpires Bag for the trash. Almost All Detectors I would bet are the Best and Cheapest City Clean Up Crew out there! I empty and wash the bag after every use If I forget to keep some plastic grocery store bags in it for the trash.

A few things that have helped me with new MDetectors is that for my first outing I spend time at my own places as someone mentioned and I also go to family and friends yards. It's private, you can learn the tones and readings, And take your time before going to public places. It's Amazing what you can find in your OWN YARD!!

I was lucky to have was a friend who is a backhoe operator. I got aquainted with him while we were building commercially. I was really young, he was older and thought what I was doing or trying to anyway was neat! He said "Look Here" X He told me they find (eyeball) all kinds of things in the course of their work AND none of them Detect! WOW...He was right! We became friends and since that time I've got family and friends in the Heavy Hiway Construction and Commercial and Private Development Fields. If you see Any new construction, Roads, Sub-Division,Residential, Commercial etc and are too nervous to ask at first, just go before they get to work or after the crew leaves for the day. There are so many Fresh Fills, Cuts and Grading as well as trucked in soil and rock. That's all dug from the site or hauled in from another location or brought in. You will feel like you don't know which way to go! I've found Many Relics, Coins, Jewelry and everything in between (plus trash) all the way to Milk Glass and Depression/Carnival Glass in Unbroken condition! I've gone to sights where I did not know the developer and asked if I could detect and told them I would pull out anything from the ground (steel posts,old wire fencing,rebar, for examples) that could get in a curb machine or asphalt ripper. It saves them costly repairs without paying someone to do it. I've never been told no...it's a win-win for both of us.

Residential and Commercial Construction Sites: They have to dig pretty deep for Residential Footings. It's 4' Here. Check the dirt removed from the footing area plus the footing trench if it hasn't already had concrete poured and the ground that what will soon be the basement or garage. Slab Grades, Road Improvement and Future Roads are good too.

Parks, Schools, Churches and Any Public Access Property: EVERYONE who has posted gave you Great advice and there is absolutely Nothing I could add except if you start to dig something, Please be Very Careful of Used Needles, Broken Glass Pipes or Anything Sharp. There is a thread here on Tnet about wearing gloves and how to kinda check the ground with your pin pointer or something before putting your hands in the ground. I've always kept my Tetnus Shot current, not just for MDing but I'm outside a lot. There is nothing worth getting some disease from a poke or cut.

GOOD LUCK! I KNOW YOU WILL DO GREAT!
Kace

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
*UPDATE*
I made it out yesterday to another park. I scoured the entire play area to only find bottle caps and gum wrappers. I headed for a big beautiful tree over in the grass and ding ding ding... a whopping quarter!
And then you'll never guess what I found next?!?!?! A bright , black and orange SNAKE! NOOOOOO THANK YOU!!!!!! I ran like mad and I haven't been back since. I think I'll leave that park for the other detectors in town! :)

I find in general school tot lots produce more goodies than park tot lots. Especially if they are located in a neighborhood. Normally once I do a good job of cleaning out the trash, I find more keepers than trash on subsequent trips. The beauty of neighborhood schools is the kids use the playground all year long.

Congratulations on the quarter.

Last edited:

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
Well, like any hobby, it takes a fair amount of time to become "good". As for the videos, i'm sure others already stated(I didn't read all the responses) that it's a "believe none of what you hear and none of what you see".

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
If you are detecting in parks with lots of trash, hike up your discrimination so that you only detect coins and silver. Have you tried that? I don’t look for gold rings in trashy areas or else I would be digging a hole every 8 inches. Yep, try cherry picking.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread