worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I have found hunting land like that,you will find busy bodies asking if you have permission,track down the owners,'SURE HELP YOURSELF' is the reply I always get,I don't like Busy Bodies! Never Have. GodsBless Chris

cactusrat

Jun 27, 2012
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The county tax office will know who owns the lots.

If the owner gives you his blessing, then nobody can chase you off the lot.

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many states/counties now have a GIS map server that gives you everything you need to find the owner through the tax records. If you don't have a GIS website for your area, take the address to the tax assessor office for the township your site resides. If you don't have an address, you can always look at the plat maps. Just make sure you know what you are looking for, some TWP employees are impatient. I was met by someone that thought I was incapable of reading their "complicated" plat map. The look of surprise when I flipped to exactly what I was looking for was priceless.
I don't have to do that now, we have many GIS sites where I can find what I need sitting in front of the computer.

OP
OP
hughmaster10

hughmaster10

Jan 4, 2013
Many states/counties now have a GIS map server that gives you everything you need to find the owner through the tax records. If you don't have a GIS website for your area, take the address to the tax assessor office for the township your site resides. If you don't have an address, you can always look at the plat maps. Just make sure you know what you are looking for, some TWP employees are impatient. I was met by someone that thought I was incapable of reading their "complicated" plat map. The look of surprise when I flipped to exactly what I was looking for was priceless. I don't have to do that now, we have many GIS sites where I can find what I need sitting in front of the computer.

Cool!!!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I'm with sandy shoes: I help myself to sites you describe . Old-town urban demolitions and lot-scrapes can sometimes be good . If there were signs and/or fences, and you're skittish about that , you can go the route the other answers here give , to find an owner. But then the problem becomes that you risk a "no" from some faraway distant corporation, who just gives the "safe" answer (but would otherwise never have cared or noticed).

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go for it and check out some Dora footage -

OP
OP
hughmaster10

hughmaster10

Jan 4, 2013
I'm with sandy shoes: I help myself to sites you describe . Old-town urban demolitions and lot-scrapes can sometimes be good . If there were signs and/or fences, and you're skittish about that , you can go the route the other answers here give , to find an owner. But then the problem becomes that you risk a "no" from some faraway distant corporation, who just gives the "safe" answer (but would otherwise never have cared or noticed).

Oh also what about a deserted property that happens to have a house, does that change the situation? Or is it "ok"? Thanks!

capt. jas.

Greenie
Aug 9, 2010
So you guys really trespass on someone else's property and then take things from it thinking it's OK? Is this on the assumption that the owner is just a personless corporation and not an individual?

Bejamble

Oct 2, 2013
Guam
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Excal II, Fisher 1280X, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many states/counties now have a GIS map server that gives you everything you need to find the owner through the tax records. If you don't have a GIS website for your area, take the address to the tax assessor office for the township your site resides. If you don't have an address, you can always look at the plat maps. Just make sure you know what you are looking for, some TWP employees are impatient. I was met by someone that thought I was incapable of reading their "complicated" plat map. The look of surprise when I flipped to exactly what I was looking for was priceless.
I don't have to do that now, we have many GIS sites where I can find what I need sitting in front of the computer.

You hit that right on Ism. Always get permission. If you can't find the owner or unable to contact, it is a no. It only takes a couple minutes to look up an owner if your region has a GIS server. Google You location name and GIS and Assessor. You are bound to find at a minimum a phone number for the local assessor or tax info. Definitely get permission though.

Cory

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
heavens no

So you guys really trespass on someone else's property and then take things from it thinking it's OK? Is this on the assumption that the owner is just a personless corporation and not an individual?

Oh heavens no. Of course not. In fact, I can't even step foot off the sidewalk for any short-cuts such as these either:

Hughmaster, you're asking this question on a public forum, so you're going to have to expect the obligatory answers. I mean, some people here think you need to ask the mayor's permission before hunting a public sandbox (afterall, you "can't be too safe", now can you?). So go figure. The obligatory answer to you then: No, you can't do it. In fact, don't step off any sidewalks either, etc.... There's your technical answer. Disregard mine and Sandy-shoes previous answer.

Attachments

• desire-path.jpeg
    desire-path.jpeg
    108.3 KB · Views: 648
  • elephant-path.jpg
    elephant-path.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 1,807
  • path-shortcut.jpg
    path-shortcut.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 416
  • rockroadstation09.jpg
    rockroadstation09.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 2,092
Last edited:

TreasurDiggrNY

Dec 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh heavens no. Of course not. In fact, I can't even step foot off the sidewalk for any short-cuts such as these either:

Hughmaster, you're asking this question on a public forum, so you're going to have to expect the obligatory answers. I mean, some people here think you need to ask the mayor's permission before hunting a public sandbox (afterall, you "can't be too safe", now can you?). So go figure. The obligatory answer to you then: No, you can't do it. In fact, don't step off any sidewalks either, etc.... There's your technical answer. Disregard mine and Sandy-shoes previous answer.

It's very funny how anytime someone calls you on your BS analogies for not getting or asking permission you turn right around and say "You know, you really should ask for permission or not hunt it". Reminds me of.........
Two_Face_2.jpg

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's very funny how anytime someone calls you on your BS analogies for not getting or asking permission you turn right around and say "You know, you really should ask for permission or not hunt it". Reminds me of.........
View attachment 887074

TDNY - I don't think you actually undersood what Tom was saying........I could be wrong, though I took it a total different way, a lot of sarcasm in the post............

Aug 10, 2013
Warren NJ
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bank owned...fair game in my book. Asking permission from a bank that dosent give **** for savings is like asking a B&E expert if you can steal from his house. Grow a set or forever be enamored.

capt. jas.

Greenie
Aug 9, 2010
I guess someone who trespassed on my land without permission and took something from that land could be described as having "grown a set". The only problem is they would run the risk of losing them as fast as they grew them.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used

I guess someone who trespassed on my land without permission and took something from that land could be described as having "grown a set". The only problem is they would run the risk of losing them as fast as they grew them.

Hey, capt. jas, would you (be honest), take any of the 4 short-cut paths seen in my pix above? Well of course you wouldn't. Because you know that persons are waiting there with shotguns waiting to blast off that set they just grew. Lurking behind every bush. Look closely at pix #1, 2nd tree on the left, and you'll see the navy-commando seal hiding right there ready to pounce !

Aug 10, 2013
Warren NJ
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So crafty..hope to see ya out there bud swinging your junk and looking to take others. Signs signs evertwhere a sign don't do this don't do that cant you read the signs? Thanks Tom in CA even if not entirely in my court....

Last edited:

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hughmaster10, my buddies hunt demo lots in Harris County. They have taken the time to get to know the demolition crews and builders in the area. They know which owners give permission and which don't. Neighborhoods close to the loop where the terra downs are happening are where they are having success.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions