Getting permission or....

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

I have no signs on my lot...You would be asking for a foot up your azz if i found you "going for it"

wheatback, the same can be said of someone's front lawn. None of us urban dwellers typically have "no trespassing" signs or fences surrounding our front lawns. Granted. But would you agree that some vacant lots have a different look and/or feel than others (like front yards of homes, etc...) ?

Or put it this way: look at my 4 pix of vacant lots above. Why do you think that the oodles of people who cut through those, didn't get a foot up their azz? There are some "vacant" lots, that are just that: vacant. And I suppose yes, someone could stand their with a shot-gun at the entrance to those short-cut paths, and scare people off. Sure. But realisticallty, we all subconsciously see and know the differences to different feels of places/locations.

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ill be honest when I'm getting antsy and just want a quick fix I use to hit vacant lots. But that gut feeling and sense of not suppose to be there was to much. Heck now I just go to the park or school now. Lol until a couple years ago I clumsy even stand to leave the sidewalk and cut across a lawn. My wife does and always told me it won't hurt nothing. My response, they are there for a reason. If you can handle the guilt or uneasy feeling go for it. If not then better get permission.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just saw episode of 2 1/2 men - Charlie says
"it's easier to ask to be forgiven than it is to ask permission"
BUT I always try and ask permission - if not from owner - ask neighbors or even ask police if there would be a problem if you hit there

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no signs on my lot...You would be asking for a foot up your azz if i found you "going for it"
That can go two ways...one of the ways your not going to like.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If its in town with no fence and no signs, freshly bulldozed...I hunt it.

TreasurDiggrNY

Dec 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If its in town with no fence and no signs, freshly bulldozed...I hunt it.

That's the stupidest thing I've ever read. You're just like that guy in Ca. Make up any excuse to justify hunting on property that you don't own without permission. You should change your name to Lookintheotherway or Lookinovermyshoulder.

If it's not your property/ lot/ house etc. and you didn't get permission from the owner you can't hunt there, get permission or go somewhere else.

OP
OP
hughmaster10

hughmaster10

Jan 4, 2013
That's the stupidest thing I've ever read. You're just like that guy in Ca. Make up any excuse to justify hunting on property that you don't own without permission. You should change your name to Lookintheotherway or Lookinovermyshoulder. If it's not your property/ lot/ house etc. and you didn't get permission from the owner you can't hunt there, get permission or go somewhere else.

Better safe than sorry

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's the stupidest thing I've ever read. You're just like that guy in Ca. Make up any excuse to justify hunting on property that you don't own without permission. You should change your name to Lookintheotherway or Lookinovermyshoulder.

If it's not your property/ lot/ house etc. and you didn't get permission from the owner you can't hunt there, get permission or go somewhere else.
I didn't make up an excuse, I told you what I do...your not going to last long on this forum calling people stupid.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I'm stupid too then Lookingdown. Guilty as charged. The part about what places I've hunted I mean. Nighttime is the right time to avoid the busybodies.

Last edited:

TreasurDiggrNY

Dec 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't make up an excuse, I told you what I do...your not going to last long on this forum calling people stupid.

I didn't call you stupid I was referring to what I read. What is your justification for hunting property you don't own without permission? What's the deal with in-town vs. out of town? What if there is half a fence? what does the sign specifically have to say, what if there is a back hoe instead of a bulldozer, what makes it ok for you to hunt on property you don't own without permission?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Treasure -digger-NY , question for you : Look at the pix of vacant-lot short-cut paths I put on this thread. Are we to assume you wouldn't use any of those ? You'd stay on the sidewalk, right ? Just checking to make sure you're being consistent bro.

Bejamble

Oct 2, 2013
Guam
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Excal II, Fisher 1280X, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel the same, if permission is not received then it's off limits. There are far too many places that are easily accessible to go where we just assume is ok. As I was taught in the military, assumptions get people killed. One can never know the circumstances or the intentions of a parcel. A line needs to be drawn somewhere and it's pretty clear in my mind, if permissions is not given, then it's not ok. If you are a red light at 3am, would you go through it? It's more a moral question than anything. Is anyone going to say anything or anyone going to die, probably not. It's just the point.

Cory

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used

Corey. Well stated. So then tell us: Would you step off the sidewalk to take of the short-cut paths across those vacant lots you see in the pix I posted?

Bejamble

Oct 2, 2013
Guam
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another point being, what if someone finds a substantial find on land they don't have permission to md. Then what would one do, it further becomes an ethics issue.

Cory

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Corey. Well stated. So then tell us: Would you step off the sidewalk to take of the short-cut paths across those vacant lots you see in the pix I posted?
They are not going to answer you Tom because the answer would incriminate them.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't call you stupid I was referring to what I read. What is your justification for hunting property you don't own without permission? What's the deal with in-town vs. out of town? What if there is half a fence? what does the sign specifically have to say, what if there is a back hoe instead of a bulldozer, what makes it ok for you to hunt on property you don't own without permission?
Same thing as calling me stupid...WHAT MAKES IT OK FOR YOU TO TELL ME WHAT TO DO....you wont hear me telling you what to do...I can send you a list of some of the things I do and you can tell me the correct way to do them because you sound like your a saint...I want to be just like you.

Bejamble

Oct 2, 2013
Guam
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Walking a path as a shortcut, a path that is well known the the locals and travelled daily, yes, I would walk the path to get from point A to B. If that is all the question is, yes I would. Would I detect down the path, no, not without getting permission first.

If there is no path, then I'm not going to just walk across someone's house just to take a shortcut. If it's a vacant lot with no house and no path, then I may cross. At no time will I detect.

Cory

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Walking a path as a shortcut, a path that is well known the the locals and travelled daily, yes, I would walk the path to get from point A to B. If that is all the question is, yes I would. Would I detect down the path, no, not without getting permission first.

If there is no path, then I'm not going to just walk across someone's house just to take a shortcut. If it's a vacant lot with no house and no path, then I may cross. At no time will I detect.

Cory
Everyone has their own level of whats right and wrong...your ok with trespassing, some people wouldn't do what you just said you would do. That doesn't make them any better than you and I sure wouldn't call your views stupid like some people on here do. Do whats right for you. Im getting off this thread before I get called stupid again :laughing7:...good luck to everyone.

Last edited:

TreasurDiggrNY

Dec 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same thing as calling me stupid...WHAT MAKES IT OK FOR YOU TO TELL ME WHAT TO DO....you wont hear me telling you what to do...I can send you a list of some of the things I do and you can tell me the correct way to do them because you sound like your a saint...I want to be just like you.

I didn't call you stupid for the second time and I didn't tell you to do anything. I asked a simple question, I just want to know What makes it ok for you to hunt on property you don't own without permission?

locater

Aug 13, 2013
Great Lakes State
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Whites GMT, BH Platinum w/ Fisher F5, 11" DD coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hughmaster10, the simple, accurate answer to your question of it being "ok" to detect private property without permission is NO.

I have no intention of being your or anyone elses conscience or moral compass, the final decision is up to the individual, but here are some simple definitions.

Trespass: "to enter another's property without permission or right"
Steal: "to take (another's property etc.) dishonestly, esp. in a secret manner."

So, to intentionally go on another person's private property without permission, digging up valuables and taking them, is, trespassing and theft, just that simple. The fact that no one is there standing guard doesn't make it any more legal or "ok". A metal detector is not some magic wand that gives the user the authority to trample on the property rights of someone, even if we figure we can get away with it. Respect and courtesy seem to be fading into the past.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread