Getting Permission To Detect

Mar 25, 2011
Hello all,

I am new to the board and new to the hobby, I am about to make my detector purchase (still waffling but leaning towards Garrett ACE350) and I want to find some hunting grounds. I have already applied for a permit in my city (San Antonio) parks, but there are a few private residences and schools that I am interested in detecting as well, but I dont know much about the process of obtaining permission. Is there a sales pitch that any of you have had particular success with?

Who do you guys contact when it comes to private schools and churches? What do you ask them? What offers do you make? What assurances do you give?

Thanks in advance for everything.

TBF

Upvote 0

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Generally public schools are free for the taking just be sure to fill in those holes. Private land you contact the owners. Same as private schools...contact the private school board. Churches, I always contact the pastor. On city parks you contact the city hall and find out about if there are any city ordinances against metal detecting if not then you got it made. Historical parks are generally a no no. Here is a link from an older thread you might find a little helpful on how to ask for permission. The main secret is to not beat around the bush and just let the owners or whoever know what you want to do and what your looking for. Most people are generally nice but not always. But being new to the hobby be sure and practice on pinpointing your taget and digging a nice clean hole the refilling them. That is generally the worst enemy for us detectorist is people who neglet property and not filling in holes or removing trash. Good luck, your going to have fun if you be patient about it. Plus you are in a very old area so there are some real good relics down there in San Antonio. Tim

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,282780.0.html

oldcoon

Jul 10, 2010
Middletown, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For private property I just go up and talk to the owner man to man. When it comes to a company, I try to ask the owner. I have never tried a corporation or any place like that.

I do not believe in letters and phone calls. You could be talking to anybody. I think when it's time to slap the meat between the slices of bread most folks want to see who they are dealing with. Works for me.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
When I travel around to different cities, and see a good looking public park or school, I consider it fair game, unless posted to the contrary. If you feel you must go further, to find out if perhaps there is an un-posted rule which doesn't happen to be on the wooden sign at the entrance, be careful about waltzing into city halls and asking. Because even if you are careful to word it: "are there any prohibitions against md'ing in our parks/schools?" (as if to put the burden on them, to produce such an actual written rule), I have heard of persons who got an answer from a desk-bound clerk, to the effect of "we would prefer you didn't" (as if the inquirer had been asking their permission). Or they might morph something to apply to you, that quite frankly, no one would ever have given a second thought to (till you asked). Ie.: disturbing vegetation, or collecting verbage, or disturbing earthworms, or who knows what.

So rather than going and asking (if you are skittish), do this instead: Look it up yourself. Most cities now are on-line, and have their muni codes as a link. Just do a key-word search on metal detectors (...ing), etc... If it is silent on the issue, so be it.

Naturally, be discreet, go at off-times, etc... Because we're in an odd-hobby that draws the stares of curious busy bodies

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's an old saying that says its eaasier to ask forgivness than permission. Descretion is the key here. Use common sense and by all means fill your holes.

There was a thread recently by someone who showed the landowner what he found and she took it all and walked in the house. Be clear on what you expect and what they should expect from you.

good luck-

NewsMan

Mar 25, 2011
To me, it more than just filling the holes. I take care to cut a nice plug and then put all the dirt on a piece of canvas. That way when I'm done I just slide the dirt back in the hole and put the plug back in. A rainy day later and it's gone. I do this wherever conditions allow.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Read what Tom says is the best advice I can give. If you gotta ask, you are asking for trouble. Just never leave any holes and always carry out any trash you dig up. Don't be afraid to carry a garbage bag for picking up some littter too.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sales Pitch :laughing7:
No, that would be an insurance agent. Look at it like your going to visit a friend. Let them know you have a love for history, and preserving it. Talk, Smile, listen. Smile again. I'm speaking of private property. As far as parks, and rec areas go, I have been all over the country detecting, and there are some places that just don't want you to dig. I have a motto to always ask first. Better safe than sorry.

marinedad

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2009
pisgah forest, n.c.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
minelab e-trac and equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just one more word of caution, only because it happened to me. i got permission from the farmer to detect a 1890's school site, corn field last fall at harvest time. i went back a few weeks ago and was told by property owner farmer had no right to give me permission. i said i was verry sorry and would not come back.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread