Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Upvote 0

slow sweeper

Jan 7, 2005
Oregon
Sorry, can't give you any tips but congratulations. Lots of fun going back to old haunts with a new detector. Good luck and have fun! ;D

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
No, it doesn't normally come with a coil cover. You do need that cover so be sure to get it.

Tesoros coils have sort of a strange design and when you first see the bottom of the coil you'll probably think the company goofed and forgot to finish it.

Tesoros have often been criticized as looking homemade and in a sense they are. Actually, each machine is individually hand made and tested before it leaves the the factory.

The unusual coil design is necessary for the hand setting of the coil. This painstakingly tedious assembly work is one reason they're so deep.

However, the company really should supply a cover with each detector. I think it's really odd that they don't. Just my opinion.

Upstate detectors charged me $15 extra for my cover so you got a deal.

You'll love your machine once you learn it. I've been told by several owners that all Tesoros get the same depth. If this is true, my DeLeon has no problem giving a solid signal on a silver dime at 8 inches and a somewhat broken signal at 9 to 10 inches (depends on soil conditions, angle of coin, etc.). My Minelab Excalibur couldn't do that!

See Gary's depth chart:

http://www.garysdetecting.co.uk/nexus1.htm

HH

OP
OP
JakePhelps

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
I know, I can't wait to hit my neighbors field and my woods, my old tracker4 was horrible for depth. I am hoping to find something from the 1700's that has a date on it, the neighbors house was built 1745 and used heavily by rich people ever since. Already found some great stuff there with a low level, can't wait to see what this new one can find. 15 bucks for a coil cover? how much were they charging for the cibola at that place? I thought 350 bucks was pretty good to have the detector and coil cover shipped to me in 2 days ;D I know youv done a ton of research on the finer points of these zeb, hows ur machine working out for you? I have one question, with my bh i dont need a pinpoint mode or anything like that to find where the target is, but i noticed on other detectors a coin seemed larger than the coil of the detector, is that how it usually is?

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
JakePhelps said:
I know, I can't wait to hit my neighbors field and my woods, my old tracker4 was horrible for depth.? I am hoping to find something from the 1700's that has a date on it, the neighbors house was built 1745 and used heavily by rich people ever since.? Already found some great stuff there with a low level, can't wait to see what this new one can find.? 15 bucks for a coil cover? how much were they charging for the cibola at that place?? I thought 350 bucks was pretty good to have the detector and coil cover shipped to me in 2 days ;D? I know youv done a ton of research on the finer points of these zeb, hows ur machine working out for you?? I have one question, with my bh i dont need a pinpoint mode or anything like that to find where the target is, but i noticed on other detectors a coin seemed larger than the coil of the detector, is that how it usually is?

I bought the DeLeon but I've heard that they're all basically the same with some having a few added bells & whistles.

They can detect a dime with an Iron nail on top. A few other far more expensive brands can do this off & on. The Tesoros (so I've been told) do it 100%.

As for price; $340 delivered is standard for the Cibola. The DeLeon is like $480 mainly due to the meter.

As for pinpointing, I'd assume the Cibola is the same as the DeLeon. With mine, coins lying flat are always very tight blips dead center of that small round part at the middle of the coil. Coins on a 45 degree angle to on edge are about 1 inch to the side of that hole. Pinpointing is super easy with the DeLeon and I'd guess it's the same with the Cibola.

The thing you need to do is slow the swing down and make small short swings over the target.

The really strong point with all Tesoros isn't really the depth although that meets or exceeds the competition.

The greatest feature of Tesoros is the ability to detect good targets near or under iron. Hunt slowly and check targets several times.

You're hunting a site with goodies from the 18th century? Awesome! Wait till that Cibola pulls a colonial copper from 12 inches!

OP
OP
JakePhelps

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Sounds like a great machine, can't wait to get it ;D My bh i jsut tap up and down to get a feel for where the target is and i usually hit it dead on, I will have to practice alot in my woods with this one.

Wait till that Cibola pulls a colonial copper from 12 inches

Its not impossible! The poeple that lived there during that time weere one of the richest in the town!

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations! EXCELLENT CHOICE in a detector.

The name that means treasure.....

Attachments

• Tesoro.jpg
    Tesoro.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 117
R

rvbvetter

I can't say on Tesoro. But many times a coil cover is one of those free goodies that are thrown in by the dealer when purchasing a new detector.
Enjoy the new detector HH

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Jake,

good hearing your getting a new detector. Hope both of you get along well, and share in many finds.

have a good un...........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread