GGG - God, Gold, Getting a MD

coolio

May 10, 2007
Ontario, Canada
I've been interested in getting a MD for about a year now. Even though I don't own one I've done a lot of research on the history of my immediate area. I cant believe the amazing history dating back to 1801. I have already found numerous sites for detecting that were the hot spots many years ago. I've found old picnic groves, 27 abandoned farms dating between 1813 to 1910, once popular beaches that lost there popularity between 1950 - 1970, but had thousands of people on any given hot day. There popularity started around 1850 give or take depending on the beach. The list goes on. Theres a lot of places you can find in a year. The best part of it all is that I believe that about 90% of the places I have found have not been detected. The beaches may have many years ago. I'm currently trying to find the land owners of the farm sites. ( Any help in how to go about doing this would be great).

So now I'm ready to get a MD. All I have to do is get the OK from my wife!!!!!!!! Tonight we were out at a restaurant, so during the evening I said " I want to get a MD ". I wish I had a picture of her face to post. She told me immediately that I was crazy. She also asked me why I want to be like an old man strolling aimlessly on the beach. Of course I started to laugh. I got into telling her about the research I've done and the kind of detecting I want to get into. The truth is I don't have much interest in going to currently popular beaches.

After our talk I could tell she still was not convinced. So I said believe it or not theres treasure every where to be found and I want to find it.

When we finished dinner, my wife said she wanted to go to the local thrift store called value village. We don't normally hang out together there because we have different interests, so I was at the other end of the store. She came up to me after about 10 minutes and had a real glow about her. She was excited about something. Any ways she had an old jewelry box in her hands and said she wanted it. It was 5 bucks so I said sure. She told me to look inside, so I did. There was a 10k cross in there, which was really cool because it was treasure and because were Christians.

I said see how exciting it is to find treasure. She agreed. So we said we'll leave the cross in the box when we pay for it, and when the guy opens it to see if theres anything else in there he can take it. If he doesn't see it we'll keep it. We both felt if God wanted us to have it he would make it happen. When the guy was holding the box he opened it and shook it, closed it and charged us 5 bucks. We said thanks and left.

I'm now aloud to get a MD with my wife's blessings. How AWSOME is that. I'm thinking of getting a detectorpro diver since some of the locations I've found would require diving. Again any feedback about this detector would be great.

Sorry it was so long.

Attachments

• IMG_2295.JPG
    IMG_2295.JPG
    25.7 KB · Views: 890
  • IMG_2297.JPG
    IMG_2297.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 889
Upvote 0

TeddyB1967

Feb 23, 2007
Pennsylvania
Awesome, Congrats on both getting the new MD and for the treasure find. Im sure if he opened it and shook it, he knew it was there but since it was so small figured what the heck or may he thought it was part of the price already. Who know's, but it's cool either way.

Let your wife know, she will be in for lots more treasures like that and then some ;D

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TNet coolio.....Glad you got the blessing from your wife on the detector..lol Do some research on the type of detector you want..go to the different forums on here listing most of the different types you can think of and ask questions in there. The ones that usually owns one will have some great advice...good or bad. HH and looking forward to seeing more posts from you.

Slabman

Jan 13, 2007
Detector(s) used
XLT, Quattro, X-Terra, Sovreign, Whites Goldmaster
"I'm now aloud to get a MD with my wife's blessings."

My wife said if I get another detector, she's leaving... I'm going to miss her! :D
HH Slabman

Lafitte

Apr 20, 2007
Western NC
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 Sore Legs
Welcome, and great post! Don't know about others, but I love to hear the stories behind posts. Make sure you post pics of your future fortune finds. We like pics. ;)

Kya

May 9, 2007
Kentucky
I think that it's great that your wife is okay with it now.
The thrift stores are just another form of treasure hunting after all (the cross, a shirt that fits perfect, ect...).
I don't believe a great treasure has to have a great value monetarily.
Some people have dollar signs in their eyes and some (like me) just knows what we like when we see it.
Get that detector and enjoy your life.
I wish you all the best.

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
Welcome to the wonderful world of treasure hunting.

Water detectors usually have weighted coils and are designed for...
yep, under water use.

If you are going to hunt on land as well, you might consider getting two detectors. But if you only have ONE blessing from your better half, you might want to think about where you would be hunting most of the time and then make your decision.

Happy Hunting

Be sure to post your finds so we all can be green with envy.....

;D

davesx

Aug 27, 2006
essex, england
Hi coolio,
Welcome to Tnet from uk,nice post, good find,
looking forward to your future posts,
Are you any where near London ON?

HH Dave.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a GREAT story Coolio! :) Good luck finding all those lost treasures!

Welcome to Tnet and I look forward to reading about your finds.

Nana :)

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II
coolio said:
I'm currently trying to find the land owners of the farm sites. ( Any help in how to go about doing this would be great).

Check the website for your local gov. Ours has a great GIS utility which has Parcel overlays, aerial photos and lot numbers with a utility to identify the owners.

mark43

Apr 8, 2007
Peru, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 whites m6
take your wife on one or more of your hunts and pack a little lunch.....i consider it quality time together. u may find her interests are not that much different then yours...let her try your md for a bit with alittle quick instruction from u and when it beeps u do the digging....and if and when u find something, u found it together as a team...its a good feeling, and who knows she may want a md of her own someday...i do that with my wife and i hear no complaints from her, cause when it beeps she calls me over and i dig for her and see what she found.......trash or treasure! and we bring a camera. she likes to take photos as i md and dig away.....like i said before, its time together as husband and wife even if nothing spectacular happens....good luck and hope u have fun...mark43

BobG

Oct 28, 2005
When one adult ALlOWS another adult to do something perfectly harmless, and for their enjoyment, I begin to wonder. When you got married, were you looking for a wife, or a mother?

Now all you need is for her to ALLOW you to use it if you get it.

jimmatt_43

Feb 2, 2007
Hi and good luck,sounds like you have a lot of great places to hunt.
I found 38 cents in clad today,all treasure.
My wife sometimes wishes I wouldn't dig up the yard,sure hopes she gets used to it for her sake.
Jim

shootist

Aug 5, 2006
The hills of central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Explorer 2
Hello and welcome to the forum. Looks like you allready know how to do research,I suggest you do quite a bit more of it when you are selecting a MD. Since you are up in CAN I think you would get the most use out of a land detector. I mean lets face it how many months of the year can you hunt the water and have a good time? The coins and jewlery lost a long time ago in the water arent going to go anywhere anytime soon. With a land detector you will be able to hunt for a good part of the year and you can still hunt shallow fresh water and all the dry sand at your old beaches. You sound like you are really interested in MD so you may want to get a pretty nice one. If you get a cheapie and decide you really like it then you will be always wanting to get a better one. If you get a good brand and decide you dont like it that much you can always sell it and get back most of your initial investment. With a cheap one you are pretty much stuck with it. Above all else I would get a good name brand detector,and dont pay any attention to what the manufacturers claims are about the machine,there are plenty of forums and online reviews about most any machine that you can find out what the machine is really capable of. On down the road if you really like MD and are getting good with your unit then you may want to start looking into a water unit. I wouldnt advise learning and doing your first MD in the water,I know these guys on here make it look easy,but trust me its a whole different animal,HH...Shoot

T

TreasureTales

Welcome to TreasureNet, Coolio. Please tell your wife that not all treasure hunters are old men strolling aimlessly on the beach. I'm an old woman who prefers to stroll aimlessly in the desert and the forests. ;D

You sound like you have put in a great deal of research for places to go. Now put in some research for a decent detector. I'm partial to Tesoro because of the ease of operation, the reliability, and the lifetime warranty. Since I believe in digging all targets, I don't really want or need any type of target readout. But to each his (or her) own. Since your wife has an interest in finding bargains at the thrift shop, why not enlist her help in doing the research online - consider it a worldwide thrift shop. Ask her advice and slowly include her in your new hobby. She might make a good partner in treasure hunting, as well as in life in general!!! Or she may get so bored she doesn't bother you while you're researching!

Unless you live right on a beach, you will probably be spending most of your detecting time on land. It really depends on what you're interested in finding. If you are after jewelry and coins, you can find just as many on land as you can at the beach. However, most modern detectors can be used in freshwater - so long as you keep the brains out of the water.

Whichever detector you get, learn how to operate it fully, read the instruction manual before taking it outside and read it again after using the machine a few times. Make yourself a test garden and learn how to set your descrimination and sensitivity so that you find the targets. Jot down some notes if necessary in order to remember which settings work best for each type of coin and metal. Experiment, practice, dig and above all - have fun!!!

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
once you dig up some cool stuff that she likes you might be getting 2 MD's ! congrats on getting your new MD, looks like the bug has bit another ! goodluck on your finds and post pics, we want to see the finds also ;)

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to TNet Coolio, more finds are in your future, best of luck to you.

Nat

OP
OP
coolio

coolio

May 10, 2007
Ontario, Canada
Thanks for all your replies and help. I love reading all the posts and cant wait to get out there and find treasure. ( Any treasure will do ). It will be fun to explore and share on line what I find.
Buy the way BobG, When I wrote I'm allowed to get a MD, it had to do with spending 600 to 1200 dollars buying one. Not needing a Mothers permission to do something harmless. I wouldn't be to thrilled if my wife spent that much without talking to me first, so I'll give her the same respect. Thanks for your post.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread