The clad kept getting older, then....

Lafitte

Apr 20, 2007
Western NC
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 Sore Legs
Woohoo! My first non-clad is a 31s wheatie! Okay, so that's not so old, but first grain is good grain.
I think the beat-up quarter may be from the thirties? I think I can just make out a 3 in the tens area. Also found this groovy quartz.
QPark-005.jpg

Found them in a city park that opened in 1889. Did some research and found a old sketch that showed where a horse-shoe pit and "fire-slab" area used to be. It's unused, and slightly wooded now, so there's even shade!

The park now:
QPark1now.jpg

The park back when:
QPark1898.jpg

Upvote 0

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Wait, you changed the picture! :D Actually this picture is just as cool.

The 31s wheat penny is a decent find. We rarely get S mint marks out here. Keep at it. Gotta be some more good stuff there. Is the Quater silver? Did you try silver cleaner?

3xflyfisher

Nov 1, 2005
In my RV, where ever it may stop!
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Lafite,
Good find on the 31s wheatie - thats one of the semi keys to the series and in good condition worth ~$75 :o.
Sounds like a great day!
Regards
3xflyfisher

Bertman

Apr 13, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Minelab E-Trac
Congrats on the wheatie Lafitte... Very cool pics of now and then... I bet there is silver somewhere in that spot... Keep diggin and postin... ;D

OP
OP
Lafitte

Lafitte

Apr 20, 2007
Western NC
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 Sore Legs
Thanks ya'll!
Another member was also kind enough to let me know about the wheatie. I know nothing of the numismatic art.
I'll keep at it. Some other MD'ers in this area are talking about a group hunt this weekend. Maybe I'll suggest this park. That'd be a blast.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the wheat! Cool old picture too. Keep at it at that old park. I think I can see a 1916 Merc by that guys foot in the upper left. Could be a 1916S, I'm not quite sure? ;D
Neat post.
Thanks,
MM

history hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2007
Menasha WI.
Detector(s) used
Nox 800 AT Max, Mine lab se pro/ Teknetics 7500 / teknetics 8000 / fisher m-scope (aquanut) 1280x/2ea compass relic magnum 6 /compass yukon 77b (professional) /compass yukon 71b
nice finds, the park looks interesting.

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope you don't mind, but I thought I would make it easier for you to find the silver. I have indicated on your picture where you will find the silver. Can anyone spot the cache? ;)

Seriously though, pound that spot. I would grid the area where the pavilion was, go all-metal to pull all the modern trash and clad off the top, then head for the deeper, older finds.

Good luck

Cheers,
Kiros32

Attachments

• park.jpg
    park.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 476

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great pictures and congrats on that first! You will always remember it. :)

Nana :)

DiggerBug

Oct 28, 2006
Bama
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love the then and now pics! Looks like a great place.
Congrats on the first! HH!

Kilika

Apr 6, 2007
NW Washington (State)
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, GMT
Hey Lafitte- Way to go! Great job on the research. Glad to see it's paying off! PM me if you guys do a group hunt this weekend. :)

Kilika

WheatbackDigger

Jul 8, 2005
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Second lowest mintage (right after the S VDB). That really is a very nice find. A very desired coin in any condition

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread