ghosts haunt my park

Aug 27, 2006
WHAT KIND OF TREASURE ARE WE HUNTING TODAY ?
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC, EXCAL2,QUATTRO,WHITE 6000 DI PRO SL,EAGLE SPECTRUM,SILVER UMAX ,BANDIDO UMAX VARIOUS VINTAGE
big old 1902 park. has mostly the 2 extremes. a few old coins left very deep. and VERY surface clad. like still mostly shiny. the type that barely has enuf ENVIRONMENTAL TONING to covince the folk at the club meeting that it was actually dug and not just the weeks pocket change.

this would make sense im out with the minelab.it see deep others missed.

and get the surface clad too.

BUT someone has been cleaning out the middle aged stuff. i would est only 10 per cent of the modern clad i dig here has been there over a year.

maybe THers have been active here until recently.but gave up due to VERY FEW old coins left.

seems strange. BECAUSE I NEVER SEE ANYONE ELSE DETECTING HERE. ONLY ONCE in 4 yrs

i hunt afternoons and eve. my buddy jogs there evry morn. he saw no detectors.

i guessits the ghosts

OR remotely possible :

i heard the garrett series can be set to ignore the top 2 inches or so to help find older coins. but imho could not match the minelab etrac on depth.

maybe my ghost own a garrett ?

any ideas?

lambretta

Aug 21, 2003
southern maine
Once in 4 years? How long have you been detecting, and in this area? More than 4 years? This surface and deep difference often means a "hunted out" site from many years ago when detecting was more common. The older machines couldn't get the depth, and those same people either lost intrest or figured they already picked it clean. Now you come along with technology that is getting deeper faster than the coins are sinking, so you're finding the thin layer of previously unreachable coins or the stuff recently dropped. I Being a novice have found stuff 12" deep on property picked over by a club some 25 years before. Dig those deep signals!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread