jewellery, gold to silver ratio

Aug 27, 2006
WHAT KIND OF TREASURE ARE WE HUNTING TODAY ?
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC, EXCAL2,QUATTRO,WHITE 6000 DI PRO SL,EAGLE SPECTRUM,SILVER UMAX ,BANDIDO UMAX VARIOUS VINTAGE
i havent found much gold. maybe 6 to 8 pcs thru the years.

the close areas to hunt are mostly trashy parks, so i am hunting in fairly hi discrim.

do have about 5 silver jewelry this yr. but it aint that much

any silver item really rings true on the detector. so i wouldnt be missin much

if gold is that much rarer to find than silver, and discounting for larger class rings that would be found in hi discrim anyway. how much are u really missing in possible gold by hunting in hi discrim ?

anyone can share ratios of gold found to silver jewlery found ?

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have gotten 20 rings so far this year 6 silver, 6 gold and 8 others with no marking......Matt

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
The gold jewelry ratio in junky urban blighted park turf, is poor when compared to amounts of aluminum foil and tab/slaw. (An exception might be sandboxes or volley-ball sand pits, but that's another thread to discuss ::) )

I had the chance to work a park from the 1800s, currently in a blighted bad section of San Francisco. The turf had been scraped to make way for astroturf. At first, all the new turf was gone, down to 6" or more, leaving ONLY old coins. But after a few days, the contractor spread back in some new soil, in order to fill low spots or whatever, and mixed all the dirt up. So thereafter, to get the old coins, we were forced to dig old and new together. Not a problem since all the dirt was loose, and the place a mess anyhow. But since I was keeping everything recorded (even junk #s) this gave a peak into the ratios of junk verses gold: By the time the project was over, my box of junk (of which most was aluminum of course), was 1000s, and the gold jewelry items? FIVE! (of course we were getting V's & buffs too). So you can see, naturally, it would not have been worth working the turf digging that many holes in search of gold. So there are some old parks, with lots of surface junk, it's probably better to just go only for deep signals, or only for high conductors, etc... lest you go mad.

Sure, you can lower the disc, dig foil, beaver tab tailes, and can slaw till your arms fall off, and yes: eventually you'll find a gold ring :P But it seems to me that you'd be better served to just go to where gold jewelry ratios are better: swimming beaches (lakes or ocean). The very nature of those places is more condusive to jewelry:

a) cold waters shrink fingers (even if only wading to the knees and splashing around).

b) people lathering up with slippery suntan lotion

c) people taking off their jewelry "for safekeeping" and putting in wrapped in their towel on their beach-blanket, etc...

d) people flailing around physically, horizontally especially, which is an un-natural position,

e) volleyball, throwing frisbees and balls, etc... are condusive to jewelry losses.

f) sand immediately "swallows" heavy dense items, even if just dropped from waist height, making it impossible to simply eyeball what you just dropped.

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
since may of this year when I started I've found 5 silver rings an 4 gold an few junk stuff I didnt keep count of .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread