Ghosts of Gettysburg

brnn53

Mar 31, 2006
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Tejon, T2 LTD, F75, & Nautilus DMC II B
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I had a friend that was from Gettysburg. His family farm was the scene of some of the first day's fighting. He said that the locals would not go on the battlefields at night!
Mike

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Re: Ghosts of Gettysburg... are REAL!!!

:o YEP!!! Just ask ANY CW re-enactor, who fought up there and DIDN'T know about the "Haunts"... the stories, I could tell you... Well... I'll just share a few... 1974-75, was a REB; Co. I, 10th Virginia Infantry, (Jackson's Foot Cav. from Conrad's Store, Va., NOW, known as Elkton, Va.). Late one night, we were "raided" by BUMMERS; so we raided 'em back (TRUTHFULLY, NO "night fighting" was to be done, as pp COULD get hurt); we heard shooting & a' hollaring... the guys came back "white-faced"... couldn't find 'em... THEN... there was ONE "case" that a guy & his wife, were in their car... and a "soldier" appeared at their car door, looking a bit perflexed... as if thinking... "What in tarnation, is THIS contraption?" AND! was trying to get in the door... needless to say, they locked the doors of the car... since it was STILL dark at night... couldn't tell if it was a REB or YANK. MANY of the re-enactors couldn't WAIT to go home... LOL. Talk to some Civil War re-enactor, who "fought" at Gettysburg, and camped out there, over the weekend... you will hear PLENTY of weird stories... it IS a SPOOKY place, alright... (Twilight Zone theme song playing...). :o ???

Tricia

Mar 5, 2007
;) Been there, done that.

Gettysburg is not haunted. But there's lots of residual energy. Not so much from the soldiers who died but by the tourists who've come there and left their emotions all over the place.

JChambers

Mar 25, 2007
New Jersey
I have to disagree as a reenactor, and "ghost hunter" I have had many strange and unexplained uh...circumstances in Gettysburg among other fields of Glory. The strangest is a picture I have of a full apparation in The Farnsworth house standing behind me while I was there in Union uniform, in a confederate stronghold, on the eve of July 2nd. It was such a freaky place, that my fiance left during our tour and has vowed never to return, and she has not, not in three years! The other is the Jennie Wade house, I have some strange photos from there too. Give me a bit, I'll dig em out and post em.

JChambers

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Yo! ;D Johnny Reb here... Billy Yank is CORRECT... for MORE... www.theshadowlands.net look for PENNSYLVANIA... then... GETTYSBURG in the "hauntings by states" section... LOTS of "junk" to get through first (IMHO) ;) 8) (TOO much snow outside...). :D

Tricia

Mar 5, 2007
Every nook and cranny of Gettysburg battlefield and the historical structures in town have their stories.

My favorite story is the diplomat who stopped by the visitor center to thank them for arranging the reenactment. There was no reenactment that day. :o :D

Another is the story about how you stand by the well at Spangler Spring and whistle and a long passed away soldier will whistle back.

Sheriff Joe

Greenie
Jan 27, 2008
New Jersey
Hey all,

I myself have never been to the battlefield, but as a history and Civil War buff, I am hoping to make the trip very soon. Also, I do some "ghost-hunting" myself in NJ with a few friends of mine. We definately believe there are many, many spirits present at the battlefield. I actually had the chance to join a reenactment group a couple years back...it was CSA group (I always wanted to live in the South as I have always felt a strong connection/sympathy to the South---but thats a different story for another time ;) ) Anyway, I guess I should have joined that group, they probably would've went to Gettysburg.

Joe 8)

Fisher

Sep 24, 2007
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
JChambers said:
I have to disagree as a reenactor, and "ghost hunter" I have had many strange and unexplained uh...circumstances in Gettysburg among other fields of Glory. The strangest is a picture I have of a full apparation in The Farnsworth house standing behind me while I was there in Union uniform, in a confederate stronghold, on the eve of July 2nd. It was such a freaky place, that my fiance left during our tour and has vowed never to return, and she has not, not in three years! The other is the Jennie Wade house, I have some strange photos from there too. Give me a bit, I'll dig em out and post em.

JChambers

Man... I've been wait'n days for those pics!

Tricia

Mar 5, 2007
And unfortunately you probably won't. Not because he can't find them but because anyone seriously interested in paranormal research is up to date on all the latest theories and developments and things such as "orbs" have been proven to be nothing more than out of focus particles in front of or on the lens. "Orbs" are standard ghost hunter pictures and that's fine for fun but orbs are not accepted as "evidence" of anything.

First it was orbs, then shadow people (nothing but IR reflections), and now everyone is on the EVP kick.

Yeah I'd like to see the photos too but if they have "orbs" I'm gonna have to roll my eyes. ROFL.

Thanx,
Tricia

1962Vdub

Feb 1, 2008
H-town MD
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm II
My wife and i live in Maryland close to Gettysburg and went on a couple of ghost tours.The Jenny Wade house and others I can post pics. of the Jenny Wade House.We have some orbs in the pics and a pic of a mirror was as clear as can be nothing in it. But the middle of the mirror resembles smoky face believe what you want.I don't know what to think? You tell me. The best thing about the tours is its a history lesson.
pic.# 1 has a dot they say that is a ghost or orb.
Pic. #2 has a orb above the bed on the wall.
Pic # 3 has the the mirror.
Pic # 4 has the same mirror.
We also went on a orphanage ghost hunt it was a great story and if it is true a great history lesson as well.
They only do the ghost tours in and around Halloween I believe I am not sure but it seems like its the best time to go.

Attachments

• 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 448
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 422
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 435
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 440

Tricia

Mar 5, 2007
So you really want my opinion? ;D

Yup, orbs orbs and more orbs. The out of focus particles.

The mirror is the reflective coating eroding. Our brains recognize patterns and one of the most familar is a face so any "face" you see is just your brain matrixing to the most recognizable thing. If the pattern were a circle on top of a triangle your brain might see ice cream. If it was a circle with little circles in side it your brain might see pepperoni pizza. It's an interesting phenomena but not evidence of anything ghostly.

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
The best GHOST HUNTER is one that can DISPROVE a haunting....however, I don't consider myself one, just house one :)

We named him George and my youngest boy has met his acquaintances in our home and I have a shot of him in my bedroom window...

I do believe alot of orbs are just that....orbs: particles of dust, bugs, etc....but two photos I captured at my house is neither a bug or dust. I even did the towel test...where you take a pic of the room, then shake a towel...MY GOD...YOU SHOULD SEE THOSE ORBS! LOL...just dust particles.

But nothing, and noone will convince me differently as to what my son saw and what we captured in a photo.

Are there ghosts at Gettysburg? Don't know, never been there, never experienced anything. Is there a presence in my home? I believe as my children believe, regardless of what anyone else thinks. We know whats in our house....;)...would like to take a trip to Gettysburg and look for a nice spot to campout..that would be an awesome experience!! ;)

Click on my WEBSITE....Over there<<<<< go to the second page and look for the albums named FIREBALL and GEORGE....:) Enjoy!

1962Vdub

Feb 1, 2008
H-town MD
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm II
I just wanted to let you know you cannot go into the battle field at night it would be cool if they did.

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am going to gettysburg soon on a bus trip, I cannot wait... not all orbs are dust particles, but I tell ya this much, I do see george.. He appears to be living in that second floor room..correct..
I am into the psychic end of alot of things.. I have seen spirits in my home, Jack died in my house, I would see him going from his bedroom ( that is my room now ) going into his wifes bedroom ( yes they had seperate rooms)...

Crazy Greek

Nov 12, 2007
Victoria, Texas
Detector(s) used
Viper Trident
Best story I heard coming out of Gettysburg concerned a couple of reenactors sitting on a log taking a break when another fellow approaches them. They saw him coming and even commented on how "spot on" his uniform was for period. The guy greets them and sits on the log talking with them for awhile asking them how things are going, etc.

The reenactors stated that this guy absolutely REEKED of black powder. (Most of the reenactors were using Pyrodex, etc. and not FFF black powder at the time)

This guy gets up to leave and ask how they are on ammunition and hands each of the reenactors a couple of rounds of LIVE patched ammo! (LIVE ammunition hasn't been allowed on the Gettysburg battlefield since the war was over.)

The two reenactors are sitting looking at the ammo and when they turn to look in the direction the guy had gone, there is nothing but an open empty field.

Kinda makes ya wonder.........Hummmmmm?

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
bootybay said:
I am going to gettysburg soon on a bus trip, I cannot wait... not all orbs are dust particles, but I tell ya this much, I do see george.. He appears to be living in that second floor room..correct..
I am into the psychic end of alot of things.. I have seen spirits in my home, Jack died in my house, I would see him going from his bedroom ( that is my room now ) going into his wifes bedroom ( yes they had seperate rooms)...

Oh, I agree....some Orbs are NOT dust particles and bugs flying in the air....as I was told my comet was...if that's a bug...that's a pretty darn big bug!!!

George is such a sweet soul....let's us know from time to time that he's still here with us. Many nights, while sitting in my computer room, I can hear someone walking in the room upstairs...we have wood floors upstairs and they creek!!! That pic of George was in my bedroom window.

I have yet to do a title/deed search on my home...it was built in 1965...so the house is not old by far...but this land, our house sits where an old barn use to be...or close by....the neighborhood I live in was built up in 1965 from one man's farm land....I'll have to find time to research this land/house....trace it back to the farm owners.

Also too....George may have been here already before the house was built....they say ghosts/spirits can come with the land, objects, but not necessarily the house...so who knows....I sure do hope GEORGE is a GUY!!! If not, will have to rename the ghost/spirit...GEORGETTE ;)

To be honest, George in my window reminds me of my grandfather...and I hold his remains in my home. He and I will be buried at sea together :)

Hope you get to Gettysburg...and hope you have a blast...let us know if you meet anyone interesting ;)..take lots of pics too!

Tricia

Mar 5, 2007
No you can't enter the park after dark any longer. There are posted hours now. Besides, ghosts don't come out solely at night. We're all brainwashed into thinking that because we've all seen too many movies and TV shows.

If you are going to meet a ghost at Gettysburg you'll have just as good a chance in the daytime.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread