Giant house filled with tons of cash and antiques!!!

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When my great aunt died we went to her house to clean it out and she had alot of money stashed in books,she was a big reader and she also had it stashed in the freezer. :headbang:

ShootTheMoon

Apr 20, 2010
North Alabama
Detector(s) used
Discovery 1100, Pioneer 101
I realize this thread is old...but since many will look back on it...my 2 cents worth :wink:
She left no will?
I would hold on to everything BEFORE selling it or letting it go. At least for 6-12mths. This gives any one time to do the legal matters. Probate can take as long as 6 mths. In case someone decides to make themselves executor of the estate, then wants to go to court over the belongings, etc. If their was no will everything has to be categorized and a value placed on it to distribute equally among relatives. There has to be someone to take legal matters in hand to sell the property if no ones name(s) are on the deed or wasn't willed the property, etc. This means her biological/adopted children or step children she provided care for more than their biological parents for a period of time, NOT grandchildren ... would receive the items and her spouse (if still living, if he is living then he gets all rights if they have been married after a certain time). Basically what was hers before marriage is now the estates, what was his (spouse) before marriage is his and things bought together during marriage are his, unless just in her name. Taking of the items without a lawyers protection could lead to a lawsuit later if someone wises up and decides a lawyer is needed. Never take anyone for granted. People get sidetracked and rush to get rid of things, before taking into account the laws and legal matters in a death. If she left no will, then people believe they can just go in and say here you get this I get that and in their rush everyone agrees...but supposed someone decided to think a little harder on what they gave up and "Jane Doe" isn't happy any more with her set of china dishes and decides she wants the silver spoons as well, because "John Doe" got all the dining room furniture circa 1920's. You get the picture?
We had the same thing happen to us recently, a stepmother after a fathers death (Sept '09) willingly gave us his belongings only to come back 4mths later and contest everything, got a lawyer and has tried to sue us to get it all back to the estate, after she got a high paying lawyer to make her executor of the estate and tell her due to Alabama law half goes to her and the other half to the children. She doesn't want to work, was so sweet and acted grief stricken.... and now is going so far as to sue in only 7mths after the death and hold us in contempt of court if we don't return the items, and going as far as taking things from a 8yr old child! Just unique rocks (he collects them like his Grandfather did) that she gave him for Christmas that was his Grandpa's and a few had traces of gold in them.
From sweet to evil witch in less than 6mths!
Please itemize everything you take and/or sell at what price. You don't know what the family might come back with later after they had time to think.
She was working quickly giving things away and selling them because they had a home in NJ and one in Mobile, AL so she had no where to put all the extra things so she said we could have them....then BOOM 4mths later she wants them back and then 7mths later suing us! Luckily we talked her out of it because she sold some things valued way over what we have before she got the lawyer and is just taking the value of the items out of our portion of the estate....but still goes to show what family will do when money is involved.
GL! Be safe....horde for now...look at it as a fragile nest egg, instead of a way to get rich fast.
You never know when it all can be snatched back!

allen_idaho

Dec 4, 2007
Culdesac, Idaho
Hey Aaron,

Here is some information about the pistols, starting with the derringer and working down.

1. NAA Derringer
- Modern production. These have been manufactured by NAA since the 1980's.

2. Smith & Wesson Model 3 Revolver
- Modern Reproduction in .32 caliber
- Production of this top break style revolver in this caliber was between the late 1800's to the 1950's.
- The original production models were only made in .44 schofield and later in .45 caliber. This type was designed as a civilian sport shooting model.
- The logo design on the grip and stamping on the barrel would suggest a production time somewhere around the 1930's to 1950's.

3. Hopkins & Allen XL #3 Revolver
- .32 caliber, 5-shot, double action
- This particular style was produced by Hopkins & Allen between the 1930's and 1940's.
- This revolver was used by the Japanese military during world war 2.
- Most likely, this is the most valuable revolver in the lot, even though it doesn't look it.

OP
OP
aaron7

aaron7

Aug 24, 2005
Townsend, MA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I'm still around guys!

ShootTheMoon, I do appreciate the warning but there WAS an executor; though self proclaimed. I'm sure he took most all the stuff of value before we even saw the place. We know he cleaned out her bank accounts and safety deposit boxes as well as her pristine 80's Caddy.

These things are what I found after digging through the endless piles after he had gone through it all.

The house has since been leveled and the lot sold very quickly as it was in the middle of a city (Woburn MA) and zoned commercially.

allen_idaho, thanks for the info on the guns! We still have all of them and haven't figured out what to do with them yet.

allen_idaho

Dec 4, 2007
Culdesac, Idaho
I'm sorry. I made a mistake. The second gun isn't actually a Smith & Wesson. I'm pretty sure it's a Harrington & Richardson revolver. I completely forgot about the symbol on the grip. I spaced it out. I apologize. These usually sell for around $100-$200. And yours looks to be in pretty good shape.

An American version Hopkins & Allen revolver as old as the third gun would be worth around $200 as well. But a Japanese World War 2 version could potentially be worth a lot more to collectors.

OP
OP
aaron7

aaron7

Aug 24, 2005
Townsend, MA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I'm a bit confused... the second gun SAYS Smith & Wesson on it... and the third gun says American Bulldog on it.

Are you sure on your identifications?

allen_idaho

Dec 4, 2007
Culdesac, Idaho
Yes. I am sure.

The second gun, the top break revolver is definately a Harrington & Richardson. On the side of the barrel where it says: "32 S&W CTGE", this means the gun is chambered for the .32 Smith & Wesson cartridge. Not that it is of Smith & Wesson Manufacture.

Here is a picture of a similar H&R top break revolver:
wm_1939781.jpg

Note the distinct similarities. Especially the style and design of the grip. You will note that it has the H&R logo on it.

---

Now the third gun, the Hopkins & Allen, says American Bulldog on it. This is because it was originally an American made weapon designed for the American market. But this particular model was modified and exported to Japan for military use. The handle grip was changed. The butt was engraved. And a few other minor changes were made before it was put into use.

Kellyco

Oct 10, 2007
Winter Springs, Florida
Detector(s) used
Everything in Kellyco's Showroom!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
aaron7 said:
Wow! People stashed stuff everywhere!

Far as we've found, money was hidden... but not like that. In drawers and such, but we haven't found any secrets in the house itself!

Amazing story, what a dream to have such great finds!

-Ariel
Kellyco Metal Detectors

Unicorn

Nov 18, 2007
Birmingham
Primary Interest:
Other
I have just read thru this whole thread, and it's like the best read I have had in awhile. Some absolutely amazing stuff to find. The old lady must have been hoarding and hiding things for years and years.

U.

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My grandmother had a Singer sewing machine just like yours ;D

California Girl

Dec 19, 2011
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo, White's Mxt Pro & GMT, Gold Master ll.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:headbang: Wow! Best wishes to her family. Think things through before selling stuff. She might want to hold on to things for her future kids. Let it all settle in first. Good luck. ;D

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt,, congrats, WTG
thumbs_up.gif

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread