Gift from an Elder Detectorist, Image in post

heavenly_light

Greenie
Aug 24, 2007
Detector(s) used
None at this time. Looking to buy!
Hey All,

Everyone knows I am new to this wonderful world and still do not even own a MD'er. However, to my suprise, I was visiting a buddy of mine and his father use to do MD'ing and pulled out a rusty blue box with only two knobs on it. He said, it was his MD'er when he was in to MD'ing heavy but, way back in the day. The MD'er had no name on it and he could not even remember who made it. I told him about me trying to get a White's Prism real soon and about my first silver find. He then went and dug into an old chest of his, pulled out this coin set and told me to "Listen hard and Dig deep!" He told me all of his relics were lost in his divorce and someone had given him this set a while back. But, he wanted me to have it for luck from one MD'ist to another. John is about 80 years old and I would have never thought he was into MD'ering. We talked about an hour and I learnt that you never know who is or had been a Metal Detectorist. (Small world)

Anyway, here is the gift he gave me which, he received from someone else. But, it looks cool anyway.

I have to say, I have been here for about a week or two and I have meet nothing but, great people. Metal Detectoring (Hobby not, Pro)(Per the Posts I have read, only) has some wonderful people. Thanks for the great experiences and posts.

Take care and be safe.
God be with you,
Tony

Attachments

• Coin-Gift-from-John.jpg
    Coin-Gift-from-John.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 282

Mike95inNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 2, 2006
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Troy Shadow X5, Minelab Musketeer Advantage
That was very nice of him. Must've been cool just chatting with him. Welcome aboard and enjoy.
HH, Mike in NJ

K

Kentucky Kache

Nice gift. Now, get that detector and go find us some treasure. ;D

rcuya

Apr 29, 2007
Detector(s) used
whites classic III
HOSSNV said:
Nice proof set ( Spanish maybe ? ) A great gift from one genration to the next . My father once told me " listen to your elders for they have walked the path you are now on " Good luck my friend ! Hoss
The coins are Panamaian.

HOSSNV

Jun 24, 2007
rcuya said:
HOSSNV said:
Nice proof set ( Spanish maybe ? ) A great gift from one genration to the next . My father once told me " listen to your elders for they have walked the path you are now on " Good luck my friend ! Hoss
The coins are Panamaian.
Thanks Rcuya ! I was not sure . Hoss

OP
OP
heavenly_light

heavenly_light

Greenie
Aug 24, 2007
Detector(s) used
None at this time. Looking to buy!
Hey All,

Yes, it was interesting hearing what he was saying. My dad told me the same thing about my elders. From what John said he use to do and what we do today. It is night and day!

Thanks for the ID, I was thinking spanish as well due to the look of the hat. But, Panamaian is just as cool.

Take care and be safe,
God be with you,
Tony

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread