Give up the treasure hunter!

windrun

Oct 30, 2007
Eudora, Kansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 50
Hello-

I just check out the garage sale recently and noticed that few metal detectors (Garrett and Whites) to sell. I asked the owner about why they sell it. He said "Before I read the treasure hunter magazine and I think that is pretty cool, then I purchased the metal detector and now, I can't find anywhere to do with it for not work out the permit. It is very toughest now!"

He give me the notebook and I read it...

Visited many history old houses on the private property - NO

Visited several Civil War battlefield sites - NO

Asked several private property by the Civil War battlefield sites - NO

Visited several city park - the city hall said NO

Asked the permit to use the high school football stadium - the school office said NO

Asked the permit to use on the high school and college campus, the office said NO

Visited the old houses torn down and clean up the site, the owner said NO

The biggest lake, the metal detectors are allowed only in the area shaded, just like 300 by 400 feet at the swim beach only, not allow to do anywhere by the lake. If you get the items as value of 25 dollars or more, must be turned in to a park ranger or the project office.

Hmm, I believe that somebody did the metal detectors on the field or park before, I mean, they dig the hole and found the item, then they didn't put the dirt back to the hole or look ugly as look bad spot, cause the owners were angry to see the mess on the field or park. Other things, some owners were very upset, if the person permit to do the metal detector on the field, then they find some value items on the property and sell to the pawn shop.

You know last ten or twenty years ago, you guys were lucky to do with metal detectors on any field you want, then today, it start to change and very strictly, then next ten or twenty years later, it might be very hard to find the place for use the metal detector!

Richard

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
strike it rich said:
seems like the places to hunt are drying up

I don't believe that for a minute...have you looked at the banner or today's finds recently? WITHOUT research, I'd agree...

Hey windrun...you didn't buy a detector?

-Buckles

OP
OP
windrun

windrun

Oct 30, 2007
Eudora, Kansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 50
Buckles- I see the old metal detectors and it seem about six - eight years old, no LCD screen! I prefer to buy new one with LCD screen. I heard that no one buy it.

My friend told me that he saw many metal detectors at the pawn shop recently. I have not check it out there, sometime this week.

I am going to check out with the city hall and see what is their metal detector policy rule.

Richard

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
windrun said:
Buckles- I see the old metal detectors and it seem about six - eight years old, no LCD screen! I prefer to buy new one with LCD screen. I heard that no one buy it.

My friend told me that he saw many metal detectors at the pawn shop recently. I have not check it out there, sometime this week.

I am going to check out with the city hall and see what is their metal detector policy rule.

Richard

Hey! MY detector doesn't have an LCD screen! And I LOVE IT! AND IT IS 15 YEARS OLD! ;D ;D ;D ;)

Here's a hint too: If you ask at city hall for their policy concerning MDing in parks, etc. they're more likely to say "no." You should look up the information yourself. Also--if you do research and ask permission for PRIVATE properties, you don't have to mess with city hall... ;)

-Buckleboy

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
strike it rich said:
seems like the places to hunt are drying up

I don't believe that for a minute...have you looked at the banner or today's finds recently? WITHOUT research, I'd agree...

Hey windrun...you didn't buy a detector?

-Buckles
because his grasp of the English vernacular is atrocious

OP
OP
windrun

windrun

Oct 30, 2007
Eudora, Kansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 50
I got an email from the park ranger office near Clinton Lake by Lawrence, Kansas. Richard

METAL DETECTOR POLICY

Metal detectors are allowed only in the area shaded in red. That area is at Bloomington East only!

Digging is limited to hand tools that can be used by one hand only. The tools must be no larger than 4 inches wide and 12 inches long.

Identifiable items (rings, watches, etc.) or items of greater values than $25.00 MUST be turned in to a Park Ranger or the Project Office.

All trash or other debris uncovered must be removed and placed in an appropriate trash receptacle.

All historical, archaeolegical or paleontological items found will be turned in to a Park Ranger or the Project office.

OP
OP
windrun

windrun

Oct 30, 2007
Eudora, Kansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 50
I got another email from Black Jack Battlefield trust near by Baldwin, Kansas. The Black Jack Battlefield was first Civil War Battlefield history. Richard

No one allow the metal detector on the Civil War battlefield property, own by the Black Jack Battlefield trust.

If someone do on the field with the metal detector, then it will lead to arrest!

re-tek

Jul 15, 2007
miami fl
Detector(s) used
coinstrike, tigershark, ace250, OLD radioshack
if you ask enough people, you'll get a NO.

look up the laws yourself. most municipalities that have laws against metal detecting will mention "metal detector or metal detecting" in their law books which makes it easier to search for them on the internet. look up your cities municipal code. some county employee that needed an ego boost might have said no just so they can feel better about themselves and it might not necessarily be correct. if you get a "no" from the city, ask them if they can give you the statue number.

i've found that if i go to parks after 5pm most of the staff is gone, the ones that are there are more laidback and generally dont even bother to see what i'm doing. same thing with school yards. i go after work and leave before it gets dark. nobody bothers me.

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Most of the places you'll get to hunt anymore are on private property and without going into a long winded explanation, let me just say that approach is EVERYTHING ! How you say it is as important as what you're saying. If you just say, hey I have a metal detector and I'd like to search your property, do you really think you'll get a yes? You need an approach to hang your hat on, something that will get the landowner to listen and consider your offer, yes I said offer, because oftentimes it helps to offer something in return for the priviledge. You have to learn how to ask in a way that will lead to more yes answers.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BamaBill said:
Most of the places you'll get to hunt anymore are on private property and without going into a long winded explanation, let me just say that approach is EVERYTHING ! How you say it is as important as what you're saying. If you just say, hey I have a metal detector and I'd like to search your property, do you really think you'll get a yes? You need an approach to hang your hat on, something that will get the landowner to listen and consider your offer, yes I said offer, because oftentimes it helps to offer something in return for the priviledge. You have to learn how to ask in a way that will lead to more yes answers.

Exactly right! Our hobby is a bit of everything--it is being able to master a piece of electronics and know what it is telling us...it is learning how to do good research and find sites...and learning how to win the trust of people we don't know. We have to practice all of these...and become detector guru--bookworm--salespersons for our craft.

-Buckleboy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread