model to treasure ratio

strike it rich

Jun 19, 2007
Detector(s) used
Treasure baron with Goldtrax
After being a member here for quite a while Ive noticed that the models finding the best goodies cost the most. Is this due to the cost of model the quality of the componets or the case more branded models are used than cheapos.

How long does it take to recoup the cost of a metal detector,the things retrieved seem to be only worth scrap vaule unless its a particularly rare coin or artifact.

Tubecity

Bronze Member
Mar 11, 2007
sw Pa.
Since this received no replies, let me add my humble opinion. First off
I still use a BH detector, been detecting since the early 80's off & on and know
I'm still learning. I do think the better MD'ers will perform somewhat better
but I think the difference is in the experience of the user. Most people probably
started out with a lower priced unit & as they gained experience & interest they
bought higher priced machines. If a person doesn't take the time & effort to
learn the hobby, it won't matter how high priced their tools are. Of course
the blind squirrel will find some acorns now and then.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
Tubecity said:
Since this received no replies, let me add my humble opinion. First off
I still use a BH detector, been detecting since the early 80's off & on and know
I'm still learning. I do think the better MD'ers will perform somewhat better
but I think the difference is in the experience of the user. Most people probably
started out with a lower priced unit & as they gained experience & interest they
bought higher priced machines. If a person doesn't take the time & effort to
learn the hobby, it won't matter how high priced their tools are. Of course
the blind squirrel will find some acorns now and then.

i agree. i think most people who buy the high dollar machines are serious about the hobby and learn how to use these high dollar machines effectively. i think more experienced detectorists also are better at researching old sites and better at recognizing what old ground looks like as opposed to ground that has been leveled or filled. generally speaking a more experienced detectorist will have better technique as well.the expensive machines will give you an edge with their depth capabilities, but you have to be in a place that holds good finds to make good finds. ;)

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I pretty much agree with what has been posted so far. I think an experienced user will be pretty successful with any machine they have learned. Also, I think the experienced user is serious about the hobby and eventually ends up with one or more high end machines in their arsenal. That said, consider how many high end machines get sold after little use by those that jumped in because they thought there was little or nothing to learn. They try to use the machines a few times get frustrated and it ends up in the closet or on Ebay. In my own experience, I found the transition to a higher end, tid machine much easier after using a decent beep and dig machine for a number of years. By the time I got to the newer machine, I had amuch better understanding of what it should do, what it couldn't do, and why one would use different sized coils and settings etc. That took a lot of frustration and confusion out of learning the new machine and I began making numerous finds early on.
Just my two bits,
Bill

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
I think hollowpoint said it right. I'll even go as far as saying that a serious and experienced person can do really well even with an inexpensive detector if money for an expensive one was a restriction. I'd say most people who start investing big figures for a detector are the people who are really into it just like HP said and of course they will have an edge with the capabilities of those machines, which could be rendered useless no matter how expensive in the hands or a novice or someone who is just not dedicated to learning it.

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
I have never found enough treasure to pay for a detector.
How many fishermen have caught enough fish to pay for their rods, reels and or bass boats?
How many hunters bag enough game to pay for their 4 X 4 and guns?
I am in this hobby because I enjoy finding targets. I use high end machines because that's what I decided to purchase. Could I do as well with a lesser machine....we will never know.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Farmercal,
I bet you would do nearly as well, if not just as well with a lesser (but decent) machine. If you're in the hobby because you like to find out what made the beep (as I am) you're a hunter and will get it done whatever you use.
HH
Bill

Tubecity

Bronze Member
Mar 11, 2007
sw Pa.
Farmercal-Good, honest post. I had to laugh about the hunting & fishing part.
With everything figured in, cost of guns & ammo, travel expense,
license, I wonder just how much a pound of venison really is worth.
But like you said, that's not the reason we go out.

OP
OP
S

strike it rich

Jun 19, 2007
Detector(s) used
I brought an old viking 5 for £25.00 have found roughly £45.00 up todate had three chinese specails and sold them all for a profit the more your detector costs the greater the time to recoup your investment

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I paid 750.00 for my detector in 2006
in the first year and a half of having it I have had countless hours of fun
using it.
With $460.00 in clad over 200 silver coins 4 gold rings a gold cross
many cool finds
But most of all
I have met several nice people and friends and have enjoyed ever minute of it..
Ya it's nice to have it pay for itself.
Thats only part of it...
How true it is about this hobby. It is well worth spending at first.

Look at other hobbies that cost so much money to do. and cost more as you do them.
Detecting doesn't..

Thats just my 2 Cents worth ( a 1833 Belgium 2 Cent Coin ,my second oldest coin found)

DPSB

~MetalDigger~

Oct 20, 2007
North Carolina
I believe if a person could aford a high end machine they should buy it, because the person may get to hunt a certian peice of property, and that they may never get another chance at, and I'd want the best that could be bought.

Also if you spend say $200 like I did, on a low end, machin, and some one comes along with no more experince than me with a high end machine, and finds the mother load, I'd be p__sed. >:( Get what you can afford, and dont wander what that beep might have been, Pull tabs a aluminum not gold. ;D Of course treasure has to be in the ground where your looking to find it, but if it's out of reach of your detector it might as well not even be their.

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
Farmercal said:
How many fishermen have caught enough fish to pay for their rods, reels and or bass boats?
I am in this hobby because I enjoy finding targets. I use high end machines because that's what I decided to purchase. Could I do as well with a lesser machine....we will never know.

I have found enough to pay for all my machines, SCUBA lessons and the gear to dive plus many $$ left over. MD is the ONLY hobby I have ever had that would do this.D-Tex Pro-paid for itself in less than a month and it was all down hill from there ;D

OP
OP
S

strike it rich

Jun 19, 2007
Detector(s) used
erikk said:
Farmercal said:

I have found enough to pay for all my machines, SCUBA lessons and the gear to dive plus many $$ left over. MD is the ONLY hobby I have ever had that would do this.D-Tex Pro-paid for itself in less than a month and it was all down hill from there ;D wow thats great

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions