Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys,

Recently, my YouTube channel hit 100 subscribers and as a thank you, I'm hosting a giveaway. There are two prizes up for grabs:

1. One 2016 American Silver Eagle 1 oz. fine silver coin
2. A tripod and lens which can be used for smartphone recordings.

You can watch the giveaway video to learn how to win one of these items (I assume most of you will be interested in the silver) on my channel.

Here's a link to the video: http://bit.ly/1ZH8mu2

Thank you to all of you here on treasurenet who have already subscribed! I am having a blast making coin roll hunting videos and look forward to providing content for y'all in the future :) Hopefully I can get out and do some metal detecting once the weather gets to be a little more bearable here in Michigan!

Thanks,
- Ryan

ASE.jpg

Upvote 0

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
SMH...that's not a rule. There are literally thousands of videos and articles on CRH. There is no reason to keep this hobby a secret. No body is getting rich doing this. Unless your a super high volume person.

Had to wait till I got home so I could search:

I hunt for two-fold. Gain and fun. As the "old timers" know that frequent this site, CRH paid for my daughter's wedding. That was a few years back when silver was a tad more abundant. It was a hobby I ran into to relax from a very stressful job. Corona, steak, pool, and boxes of coins to go thru--so sweet!!!

Nice, however, that I could make a few $$$ having fun--but there is work, too. Loads of dumping is a pain in the rear as everyone knows...

People are indeed getting rich off this hobby, super high volume or no, if they do it long enough. Saving up a nice little nest egg, at least. I my self have found over 2,000 silver coins since I started CRH almost 5 years ago. Why would we want to advertise? I help other CRH'ers when I can, but never at the cost of my own trade secrets, hot spots, etc.

Most people who CRH quite after realizing that you don't find a silver every time you search.

I'll admit that's true. However, think of the damage that can be done by someone who isn't prepared to jump in with both feet and commit. Put another way, do we really want a bunch of people looking to get rich quick being rude to tellers, dumping where they pick up, and generally ruining things for the rest of us? Heck, look at the post the other day:

If I want to get rare and/or old coins from a bank what kinds of coins should I ask them for if I have 15 dollars?

Not calling out this guy, but it demonstrates how CRH videos have the potential to reach far and wide, and potentially damage our hobby. Picture someone like this asking this question at a bank instead of an online forum. Picture them asking tellers at your bank how to find silver. No fun when the silver dries up for you. Me either. My finds are down well over 50% from what they were a few years ago. If this trend continues it will hurt all of us.

IceePirate

Aug 16, 2015
Cincinnati, Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
Also notice how rarely anyone mentions their pickup and dump spots aside from a fairly broad area. I know for a fact im the only one ordering coins from my pickup bank. I'd kind of like to keep it that way. There are pains on both sides for people just getting into the hobby. I myself can attest to that. The more pain, the less forthcoming the rewards are.

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro
Rryanq - the only thing you should get from these forums are advice, information, and likes... Not subscribers to your YouTube channel.

This post has the same feeling as when a new co-worker joins a company and after a few months feels comfortable enough to start selling you Tupperware and if you sign up today she'll throw in a set of knives.

Blahhhhh

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used

People are indeed getting rich off this hobby, super high volume or no, if they do it long enough. Saving up a nice little nest egg, at least. I my self have found over 2,000 silver coins since I started CRH almost 5 years ago. Why would we want to advertise? I help other CRH'ers when I can, but never at the cost of my own trade secrets, hot spots, etc.

I'll admit that's true. However, think of the damage that can be done by someone who isn't prepared to jump in with both feet and commit. Put another way, do we really want a bunch of people looking to get rich quick being rude to tellers, dumping where they pick up, and generally ruining things for the rest of us? Heck, look at the post the other day:

Not calling out this guy, but it demonstrates how CRH videos have the potential to reach far and wide, and potentially damage our hobby. Picture someone like this asking this question at a bank instead of an online forum. Picture them asking tellers at your bank how to find silver. No fun when the silver dries up for you. Me either. My finds are down well over 50% from what they were a few years ago. If this trend continues it will hurt all of us.

1000%
couldnt have said it better

TroutBumDave

Jan 8, 2015
Northern Utah
Detector(s) used
White's Coin Master 6000/D -- Garrett GTI 2500 -- Etrac
Primary Interest:
Other
All of this coming from a guy who has no problem going over a bank managers head when he feels like he's been slighted in the least, completely disregarding the advice of pretty much everyone on the forum...

Rich and compelling.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You realize that while you may have 2000 silver coins, think about the time you spent getting them, searching through them, and dumping them. You spend money on gas and all that time searching you could have been working a second job. I bet you could have made more then enough money to buy those 2000 silver coins if you would have worked a second job instead of CRH. I'm not saying goes CRH is stupid because I enjoy searching myself. But those that have paid for weddings or bought cars have been searching for years and have spent probably 40 hours a week at least searching and dumping and picking up there boxes. I kind of want to do the math and see how much a "high volume" searcher actively is CRH for how many hours a year and the amount of silver they find. And then compare how much that person would have made if they worked a minimum wage job for that many hours.

When I said nobody gets rich CRH, what I should have said was that only a very small number get "rich". Getting "rich" is a very subjective term. When I think of getting rich, I think about a person who is making hundreds of thousands of dollars. Everyone has a different definition of rich though.

I don't worry about people talking about CRH or people who make videos. The reason being is that you either like coins or you dont. If you don't like coins or collecting them, then that person is not going to care what you tell them about CRH. A good example of this is my wife. I get so excited about finding a key date coin or a silver coin. I try and talk to her about it and try and show her my finds, and she could care less. She tolerates it and she has no desire to ever join me. Chances are if a person likes coins then they either are a CRH or used to be a CRH.

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
All of this coming from a guy who has no problem going over a bank managers head when he feels like he's been slighted in the least, completely disregarding the advice of pretty much everyone on the forum...

Rich and compelling.

So I wanna be sure I got this. Your comparing standing up for your right as a customer when a managers is trying to over step the power structures they are given, with people standing on the street corner yelling free silver inside banks....? Got it, now that is rich and compelling.

Please show me where everyone in the forum feels you need to walk away quietly when they get shut down, bc many veterans have done the complete opposite. When someone is ordering or dumping $200 in nickels a week and the bank has a problem with that, your dealing with nothing more then a lazy vault managers or a manager who is over stepping there boundaries.
And any advice I get from a newb I'll take with a grain of salt.

Last edited:

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
You realize that while you may have 2000 silver coins, think about the time you spent getting them, searching through them, and dumping them. You spend money on gas and all that time searching you could have been working a second job. I bet you could have made more then enough money to buy those 2000 silver coins if you would have worked a second job instead of CRH. I'm not saying goes CRH is stupid because I enjoy searching myself. But those that have paid for weddings or bought cars have been searching for years and have spent probably 40 hours a week at least searching and dumping and picking up there boxes. I kind of want to do the math and see how much a "high volume" searcher actively is CRH for how many hours a year and the amount of silver they find. And then compare how much that person would have made if they worked a minimum wage job for that many hours.

When I said nobody gets rich CRH, what I should have said was that only a very small number get "rich". Getting "rich" is a very subjective term. When I think of getting rich, I think about a person who is making hundreds of thousands of dollars. Everyone has a different definition of rich though.

I don't worry about people talking about CRH or people who make videos. The reason being is that you either like coins or you dont. If you don't like coins or collecting them, then that person is not going to care what you tell them about CRH. A good example of this is my wife. I get so excited about finding a key date coin or a silver coin. I try and talk to her about it and try and show her my finds, and she could care less. She tolerates it and she has no desire to ever join me. Chances are if a person likes coins then they either are a CRH or used to be a CRH.

I agree most people can't make good money in the sense where it would be worth it in a cost efficiency to profit scale. However if you have a good set up with dumps and pick ups you can make money.

Those 2000 40s your referring to where found in a little over 1 year of high volume hunting. Ten boxes a week taking roughly 1-1/2 hrs between pick up and dump. Over the course of a year that amounts to on the high end 75 hours worth of "work". if you go by current silver spot that's roughly $4500.00 in silver -$1000 for the actual cost of the halves leaving a profit of $3500. Even if you go on the high end of $300 for gas which is a lot , as my banks are close that comes out to $3200 for 75 hrs worth of work, or $43 an hr. This is not counting whatever 90s are pulled either. Figured I'd break it down for you since you mentioned you'd like to see the numbers.

The hole idea of keeping crh quite for the longevity of the hobby. I like most are not in it just for the profit. My favorite hunting is pennies for wheats and nickels for buffs which hold little value. But lose lips sinks ships. The volume of hunters now a a days is insane compared to what it once was. Road trips used to be worth it now you constantly hear the same responses. I have had more banks asks me "your not going to take them back" then you can imagine. That is a product of a rookie hunting hearing about this great idea of getting silver and having horrible hunting practices. And that hurts all of us who actually CRH

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree most people can't make good money in the sense where it would be worth it in a cost efficiency to profit scale. However if you have a good set up with dumps and pick ups you can make money.

Those 2000 40s your referring to where found in a little over 1 year of high volume hunting. Ten boxes a week taking roughly 1-1/2 hrs between pick up and dump. Over the course of a year that amounts to on the high end 75 hours worth of "work". if you go by current silver spot that's roughly $4500.00 in silver -$1000 for the actual cost of the halves leaving a profit of $3500. Even if you go on the high end of $300 for gas which is a lot , as my banks are close that comes out to $3200 for 75 hrs worth of work, or $43 an hr. This is not counting whatever 90s are pulled either. Figured I'd break it down for you since you mentioned you'd like to see the numbers.

The hole idea of keeping crh quite for the longevity of the hobby. I like most are not in it just for the profit. My favorite hunting is pennies for wheats and nickels for buffs which hold little value. But lose lips sinks ships. The volume of hunters now a a days is insane compared to what it once was. Road trips used to be worth it now you constantly hear the same responses. I have had more banks asks me "your not going to take them back" then you can imagine. That is a product of a rookie hunting hearing about this great idea of getting silver and having horrible hunting practices. And that hurts all of us who actually CRH

Thanks for breaking it down. It sounds like you have a pretty good system that many would be envious of. As for newbies ruining our hobby, I don't think we have anything to worry about. If it hasn't happened yet, it's not going to happen. Newbies might inconvenience you some but as with any hobby there is always going to be some newbie. He'll we were all Newbies at one point and we all made mistakes.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for breaking it down. It sounds like you have a pretty good system that many would be envious of. As for newbies ruining our hobby, I don't think we have anything to worry about. If it hasn't happened yet, it's not going to happen. Newbies might inconvenience you some but as with any hobby there is always going to be some newbie. He'll we were all Newbies at one point and we all made mistakes.

I disagree. The internet makes information easily accessible, everyone feels they are an expert or will get rich quick, and mistakes are made. When things are made public, the "public" gets in on them. Ask antiques dealers about the impact of eBay on their market. Antiques used to require a lot of networking and knowledge. Now the prices of antiques have tanked in general because people can just look up values and post on eBay, it does not matter if it's hard to find in your area if it's easy to find online. What used to take someone years of experience to learn (like jewelry hallmarks) are now available online and searching replaces intelligence.

People with no practical knowledge can now go in banks and cause more damage than good.

You're right about the newbie point though...I got cut off once or twice in the beginning because I didn't have a good system down yet. I've repaired most of it, but tellers have told me straight nightmare stories about rude and demanding CRHers who feel entitled to coins and that tellers are second class citizens.

IceePirate

Aug 16, 2015
Cincinnati, Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
My first month or so was pretty rough. It smoothed out fairly quick though. Thankfully, I only visited the same bank once every 2 weeks when I started. I can only imagine what a pain I would have been had I only had 1 bank to go to. Or I listened to some of those YouTube videos that say, " Ask a bank for silver and you made an instant profit!" I don't like that :/

I always hear the tellers say people come in all the time asking for ikes of halves.

Last edited:

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I disagree. The internet makes information easily accessible, everyone feels they are an expert or will get rich quick, and mistakes are made. When things are made public, the "public" gets in on them. Ask antiques dealers about the impact of eBay on their market. Antiques used to require a lot of networking and knowledge. Now the prices of antiques have tanked in general because people can just look up values and post on eBay, it does not matter if it's hard to find in your area if it's easy to find online. What used to take someone years of experience to learn (like jewelry hallmarks) are now available online and searching replaces intelligence.

People with no practical knowledge can now go in banks and cause more damage than good.

You're right about the newbie point though...I got cut off once or twice in the beginning because I didn't have a good system down yet. I've repaired most of it, but tellers have told me straight nightmare stories about rude and demanding CRHers who feel entitled to coins and that tellers are second class citizens.

I don't understand why people are so secretive about CRH. The information is so readily available. I got into CRH because of this forum. I found it when I started metal detecting and I was researching my finds. I already had an interest in coins and so my CRH hobby began from reading posts on here.

I'm willing to bet there were probably more CRH then people thought back before the internet. There was just no way for those people to communicate like there is today. The people we are so worried about ruining it for everyone are most likely just plain bad people to begin with. Any decent human being knows you should treat tellers with respect and a newbie can find out pretty quick that dumping where you pick up is a bad idea just by the look on the tellers face when they attempt it.

I'm not saying we should go sound telling everyone we meet about the hobby. I'm just saying there is no need to jump down a person throat for making a CRH video. Or when I pick up coins and the teller asks why I need so many, I just tell her I collect co I no and I am filling up coin albums and I'm trying to get coins from every year. 99% of the time they smile and wish me luck, or strike up a conversation about the cool coins they have found while working there. Be respectful to them and they will be respectful to you.

Ps- not saying anyone is wrong for being seretive. You do what you feel is right. I am just giving you my point of view.

Last edited:

mrogers07

Sep 6, 2015
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't get why people are so secretive about CRH'ing, either.

Wait...I do: Greed.

That's it. Boiled down to the elemental level, that's it.

CRH isn't some big secret. People know about it. People post YouTube videos about it.

Hell, attitudes like I see in this thread are why I actively promote it in other forums.

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
I don't understand why people are so secretive about CRH. The information is so readily available. I got into CRH because of this forum. I found it when I started metal detecting and I was researching my finds. I already had an interest in coins and so my CRH hobby began from reading posts on here.

I'm willing to bet there were probably more CRH then people thought back before the internet. There was just no way for those people to communicate like there is today. The people we are so worried about ruining it for everyone are most likely just plain bad people to begin with. Any decent human being knows you should treat tellers with respect and a newbie can find out pretty quick that dumping where you pick up is a bad idea just by the look on the tellers face when they attempt it.

I'm not saying we should go sound telling everyone we meet about the hobby. I'm just saying there is no need to jump down a person throat for making a CRH video. Or when I pick up coins and the teller asks why I need so many, I just tell her I collect co I no and I am filling up coin albums and I'm trying to get coins from every year. 99% of the time they smile and wish me luck, or strike up a conversation about the cool coins they have found while working there. Be respectful to them and they will be respectful to you.

Ps- not saying anyone is wrong for being seretive. You do what you feel is right. I am just giving you my point of view.

It's mainly bc many people don't have common sense. They aren't bad people they just don't think like a crh. The average guy starting out may not understand why it's a no no to pick up then dump right back at the and bank. I've heard stories of guys getting tellers to go into the vault, pull the rolls of halves, search them in the lobby, then hand them right back. They probably don't understand that it's a no no. Or they just don't care. Either way we can't have that kind of stuff going on.
Easiest way to avoid it is to limit the amount of new people that are introduced.
The idea that bc the internet is already littered with crh info so it's should be secretive doesn't work.
Look at your boxes for example: there are more articles/videos online explaining the value of silver coins then info on actual coin roll hunting, and yet somehow silver still gets dumped.
Now what if there was a sign in front of every bank that says check all your coins for pre64 bc they are worth more then face. I think we could both agree there would be a lot less silver out there.
Same idea.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I think crh is a lot of work to make it profitable but at the same time digging 200 holes on the beach is exhausting.
I'd rather crh!

TroutBumDave

Jan 8, 2015
Northern Utah
Detector(s) used
White's Coin Master 6000/D -- Garrett GTI 2500 -- Etrac
Primary Interest:
Other
So I wanna be sure I got this. Your comparing standing up for your right as a customer when a managers is trying to over step the power structures they are given, with people standing on the street corner yelling free silver inside banks....? Got it, now that is rich and compelling.

Please show me where everyone in the forum feels you need to walk away quietly when they get shut down, bc many veterans have done the complete opposite. When someone is ordering or dumping $200 in nickels a week and the bank has a problem with that, your dealing with nothing more then a lazy vault managers or a manager who is over stepping there boundaries.
And any advice I get from a newb I'll take with a grain of salt.

Take it with an entire salt shaker if you'd like; it doesn't change the fact that you're wrong.

FWIW, any advice I get from someone who doesn't know the difference between "your" and "you're" I'll take with a grain of, "Wow, you're dumb."

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Careful, the TN MOD POLICE are watching & listening.

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Take it with an entire salt shaker if you'd like; it doesn't change the fact that you're wrong.

FWIW, any advice I get from someone who doesn't know the difference between "your" and "you're" I'll take with a grain of, "Wow, you're dumb."

Ha
No words, enjoy your time here. Won't last long with personal attacks like that. Mods are pretty strict with abusive people.

☕ on me big guy

OP
OP
Q

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Y'all call that abusive?? I mean...this is the Internet. If that's abuse, then it is absolutely the tamest I've seen. I'll tell you what guys, you gave me a pretty hard time when I first got here. I've also gotten some nut cases on YouTube and I continue to get them to this day. But I never cry to the moderators for help! Look, I don't think this guy has done something offensive enough to get him banned. It's called freedom of speech, and though it may be ugly at times, it has to be upheld.

Also, the giveaway is over and the items were shipped out last night. The silver coin went to a nice guy named metri91 and he was stoked to be the winner.

Cheers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread