GLoomis GLX

Paleo Hunter

Tenderfoot
Feb 13, 2015
Central Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Eclipse 950, Eclipse 6 x 10 DD,.......
Whites 5900 Di Pro SL CB, Blue Max Deep Scan 950,......... Bullseye II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice fishing rod

I started going to estate sales several years ago and found out that you can find some great treasures there. Yard sales seldom produce anything more than thrift store type items or less (garbage). Many dealers visit estate sales to purchase and re-sell items whereas I only purchase items that I'm going to keep. One weekend I went to an estate sale of someone that obviously had owned a fishing supply store. Most of the fishing rods were grabbed up quickly but a few were left including a new GLoomis GLX ($400) that I purchased for $10, and two other new Allstar ($100 ea) rods for $5 each. I got $900 worth of equipment including yard tools for $68.

Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started going to estate sales several years ago and found out that you can find some great treasures there. Yard sales seldom produce anything more than thrift store type items or less (garbage). Many dealers visit estate sales to purchase and re-sell items whereas I only purchase items that I'm going to keep. One weekend I went to an estate sale of someone that obviously had owned a fishing supply store. Most of the fishing rods were grabbed up quickly but a few were left including a new GLoomis GLX ($400) that I purchased for $10, and two other new Allstar ($100 ea) rods for $5 each. I got $900 worth of equipment including yard tools for $68.
Welcome Paleo Hunter. Nice finds on the fishing rods. I agree that estate sales are the best bet for finding the best items, be it for resale or personal collections and that yard sales are usually filled with junk for the most part. There are always exceptions of course. Most of the items I buy are for sale, though I will purchase items to keep also. This is how I get my collections for free basically. Sell off enough to recoup monies spent and the rest is mine with 0 invested.

OldSowBreath

Mar 18, 2009
I see it as the reverse, though probably because I live in one of the largest cities in America. Most the estate sellers here are well versed on prices, and usually their last day discounted prices reflects some of the highest ebay sold prices. Exceptions of course. Funny how now I go to an estate sale and see something I want I just usually go on ebay and get it cheaper and without the tax. The best estate sales I see are the privately run ones, where the family is in a rush to get rid of everything and haven't spent hours erroneously pricing off ebay.

I'm making far more money off garage sales. To me, its knowing the neighborhoods to go to and the neighborhoods to avoid, and studying the Craigslist ads and learning to avoid sales that say "baby stuff", "stock-up items", etc." (one of the best ads I saw, and I don't think they were trying to be funny, said, "... and gently used men's underwear".)

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Paleo Hunter!! CONGRATS on a really sweet deal!! I'll be HAPPY to give you $20 for the GLoomis, and even pay for shipping!! He He!! Anyway GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

OP
OP
P

Paleo Hunter

Tenderfoot
Feb 13, 2015
Central Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome Paleo Hunter. Nice finds on the fishing rods. I agree that estate sales are the best bet for finding the best items, be it for resale or personal collections and that yard sales are usually filled with junk for the most part. There are always exceptions of course. Most of the items I buy are for sale, though I will purchase items to keep also. This is how I get my collections for free basically. Sell off enough to recoup monies spent and the rest is mine with 0 invested.

Diggummup, that's a great idea to recoup funds for other sales. I'll keep that in mind.

OP
OP
P

Paleo Hunter

Tenderfoot
Feb 13, 2015
Central Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see it as the reverse, though probably because I live in one of the largest cities in America. Most the estate sellers here are well versed on prices, and usually their last day discounted prices reflects some of the highest ebay sold prices. Exceptions of course. Funny how now I go to an estate sale and see something I want I just usually go on ebay and get it cheaper and without the tax. The best estate sales I see are the privately run ones, where the family is in a rush to get rid of everything and haven't spent hours erroneously pricing off ebay.

I'm making far more money off garage sales. To me, its knowing the neighborhoods to go to and the neighborhoods to avoid, and studying the Craigslist ads and learning to avoid sales that say "baby stuff", "stock-up items", etc." (one of the best ads I saw, and I don't think they were trying to be funny, said, "... and gently used men's underwear".)

OldSowBreath, I see what you mean. There's one estate sale business around this area that is very high on prices whereas there's one that is very good on prices and he handles most of the most expensive (nicest) estates in the area, and the other businesses are in between. For the private ones, most around here are very high on prices and we've found a lots of them are really yard sales advertised as estate sales.

I know what you mean about the areas, we only go to estates sales that are in specific areas or are very local, but we've been to so many yard sales that were just junk that we've got gun-shy about stopping at them and wasting the time.

OP
OP
P

Paleo Hunter

Tenderfoot
Feb 13, 2015
Central Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Paleo Hunter!! CONGRATS on a really sweet deal!! I'll be HAPPY to give you $20 for the GLoomis, and even pay for shipping!! He He!! Anyway GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

Verde, that's a deal. Shipping is $320 - just kidding. I'm going to keep this one. I've got a couple other GLoomis rods but there not as expensive as this one, and I can't wait to try this one out. Thanks anyway, good luck and good hunting to you also.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread