Help with stuff out of my area of expertise

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
A friend of mine hooked me up with some people that inherited some items from a family friend. According to them he was an older guy that died without heirs. He was also a trust fund baby that was into asian & asian themed items. This is an area I don't know squat about. Thought I'd post a few of the pics & get opinions. There was a curio cabinet with a bunch of smaller Swarovski figures & the largest LLadro figure I've ever seen. Based on that I have to wonder if some of this stuff that doesn't look impressive to me might be high end. The brass/bronze Buddha head is hollow. Those monkeys are about 16" tall & the lady said they were supposed to be worth $800 each.

009.JPG 011.JPG 016.JPG 015.JPG 018.JPG

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
View attachment 1126509

To the left of the Buddha is what appears to be a nice opium pipe. Some of those sell in the 100s of dollars but, of course, many have much less value. The one in the ebay listing below looks very similar to yours.

Antique c1910 Chinese Floral Cloisonne Enamel Opium Smoking Pipe Signed Lid Base | eBay

That one sold for over $400.

The monkeys are the classic "See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil" theme. I have no idea of value on those. BTW, did you know there is a fourth monkey in the "evil" set that is rarely seen? He is "Do no evil". You will have to discover for yourself what Monkey #4 is doing! icon_eek.gif

OP
OP
T

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
That is an opium pipe. I didn't check it out closely but it does have a mark under the lid. I had no idea it came apart & didn't check for any other marks. There was a seam on the pipe that made me think it wasn't original. There was a complete set of 4 monkeys. We always called the 4th one "have no fun".

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah as stated, I would have been interested in the opium pipe as well as the snuff box or whatever that is in front of the pipe.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah as stated, I would have been interested in the opium pipe as well as the snuff box or whatever that is in front of the pipe.

It looks like one of those Figa hands. That pended on that's made out of wood the click to African hands I believe.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread