Gloves, Never Use Them

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
M

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Dirt is just dirt, though dirt hides lots of things.
Many have been noted on here already and there's the hidden things like:

"Tetanus (also known as lockjaw) is an infection spread by a bacterium. The bacterium lives in dirt, soil and dust, but can also be found in human and animal feces (poop).
If you have even a tiny cut in your skin, tetanus bacteria can get in."

"MAC is one of a large group of nontuberculous mycobacteria (NTM), and the most common cause of NTM lung disease in the U.S. MAC organisms are common in soil and water and are easily inhaled during daily activities. Most of the time they cause no harm, but they can cause infection in groups with certain risk factors."

Never had Tetanus, but I'm still being studied/tested for MAC.
8 yrs of testing now, 3 yrs in the infectious disease clinic, passed the test in 2019.

Now as of Dec./22 CT scans showed holes in the lungs again.
Quote: "You have something eating holes in your lungs"
The latest CT scan as of this past month it seems to have stabilized again. :dontknow:

So dirt is dirty it seems, doesn't effect most, but for a few out there it's one of those things that bites you in the ass.
Dirt uglies a head unit quickly. Gloves invites dirt on head units in a dig with gloves. People get lazy with gloves. Just pinpoint well, using a pinpointer and use your naked fingers.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never had used gloves or a pinpointer or knee pads for at least my first twenty years of detecting, or maybe more., always wear gloves now, will not detect without a pinpointer, and grew tired of wearing holes in the right knee of my pants, as well as kneeling on that sharp rock etc. Have been using all three now for at least ten years now I think. Why did it take me so long? Never had occurred to me to wear gloves metal detecting, although it was standard gear on the job, didn't know about pin-pointers, (a gift to metal detector people from the treasure gods), and again, a very sore knee. I could go on, but you get it.

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
White's Coinmaster 6000D (have had for decades)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wear only one glove, on my left hand. That's the hand I use to reach in the hole and pull out the dirt. Protects from glass, sharp metal, etc. My right hand stays clean so the detector doesn't get covered in dirt, meaning the control doesn't get scratched up.

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dirt uglies a head unit quickly. Gloves invites dirt on head units in a dig with gloves. People get lazy with gloves. Just pinpoint well, using a pinpointer and use your naked fingers.
I stopped caring about the appearance of my machine years ago. Your playing in dirt. OF COURSE ITS GONNA GET DIRTY!!! 🤣

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
White's Coinmaster 6000D (have had for decades)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I stopped caring about the appearance of my machine years ago. Your playing in dirt. OF COURSE ITS GONNA GET DIRTY!!! 🤣
It's not about getting dirty, it's about getting the screen so scratched up that it's difficult to read after a couple years.

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not about getting dirty, it's about getting the screen so scratched up that it's difficult to read after a couple years.
My nox has a screen protector so I don't mind getting more dirty than others. I can see the concern though.

Hbot37

Bronze Member
Jul 7, 2022
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I read posts like this all I can think of is "Back in my day we walked 10 miles in the snow to school, uphill both ways!" I hate to break it to you but your pride is probably making you less efficient and more likely to get hurt.

Nathan W

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2023
Sometimes I use thin pesticide gloves, they are disposable and a pair can last probably two hunts. I buy them by the box.

Attachments

• 24482A43-6EA8-455B-A898-516D9D2D1719.jpeg
    24482A43-6EA8-455B-A898-516D9D2D1719.jpeg
    107.2 KB · Views: 11

DWerk

Oct 18, 2020
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Whites V3i, AT Pro, Deus 1, Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kevlar gloves, military knee pads, always with a pinpointer.. Saves time, fingers, pants and knees. :laughing7: And keeps the wife at bay..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions