WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
At first I thought this was stink bug. Then I looked it up. It resembles the Western Conifer Seed Bug in some photos, but other descriptions list the bug as being more colorful than this one. So, tell me. What kind is it? BTW it was every bit 1" long.

IMG_0050.JPG

IMG_0055.JPG

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wrightdigger, What you have there is a Wheel Bug, a member of the Assassin Bug family. They prey on other insects by inserting their proboscis into the victim, injecting digestive enzymes, and sucking out the soup. They will bite people, and the bite is nasty and long lived. My wife was bitten by one, and it was very painful and took a couple of weeks to heal.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kray's correct. I got the right pic, but wrong name. Nasty bug. I've never seen one around here.
Jim

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Wrightdigger, What you have there is a Wheel Bug, a member of the Assassin Bug family. They prey on other insects by inserting their proboscis into the victim, injecting digestive enzymes, and sucking out the soup. They will bite people, and the bite is nasty and long lived. My wife was bitten by one, and it was very painful and took a couple of weeks to heal.

It's in the stink bug family, I think. It's a Brochymena, or "hive miner". Most stink bugs suck plant juices for food. The hive miner sucks the juices of caterpillars, and other soft-bodied prey. Good pic!
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en...0i10i24k1.0.RFQ54Sekk4A#imgrc=iosqhO1L0kWeAM:
Jim

Kray's correct. I got the right pic, but wrong name. Nasty bug. I've never seen one around here.
Jim

You guys are fast! I am glad I asked, too! I used your information to research. I definitely want to avoid it, but need it around to kill the stink bugs. Thanks!

scruggs

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2008
Northern Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kray is correct, it’s an assassin bug. They are beneficial in the garden in that they consume the other bad bugs. It’s like having your own free pest control.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting.

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
geesh! This farm girl lifestyle is getting scary! Thanks for the information!

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Kray is correct, it’s an assassin bug. They are beneficial in the garden in that they consume the other bad bugs. It’s like having your own free pest control.

Yep, but wish they were bigger ... maybe they could clean up my squirrel problem.

Chiltepin

Sep 25, 2017
Southwest US
Detector(s) used
BH Time Ranger
Primary Interest:
Other
I was trying to find the documentary where they went through all
the blood sucking insects and animals. Mosquitoes, Leeches, Kissing bugs,
Moths, Bats.

They had a family that lived in a thatched hut that was being bitten in the night.
They asked the family to leave and then bug bombed the hut. The next day they
found thousands of Kissing Bugs had been living in the thatched roof dead on the ground.

BBC Nature - Blood sucker videos, news and facts

Happy Halloween. muhahhahahahah!

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wrightdigger, I transplanted to the lowcountry of SC 13 years ago, and as someone who enjoys getting out in the woods, I have had a lot of "what the heck is that?" moments. The outdoors here is a hostile environment for us humans, so I have made it a point to be able to identify my adversaries. Assassin bugs, cow killer ants, wasps, ticks, chiggers, poison ivy and oak, sumac, black and yellow widow spiders, mosquitos, biting flies, horse flies, venomous snakes (baby snakes, the size of a night crawler, freak me out for some reason), gators, water scorpions, leaches, deadly fungi and poisonous fruits. Not to mention crazy wild pigs, rabid foxes. It is NOT a walk in the park around here! The real sportsmen and women here are the ones who run blindly through the woods at night chasing their coon dogs for fun. Utterly immune to the hazards. I tip my hat to them.

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was trying to find the documentary where they went through all
the blood sucking insects and animals. Mosquitoes, Leeches, Kissing bugs,
Moths, Bats.

They had a family that lived in a thatched hut that was being bitten in the night.
They asked the family to leave and then bug bombed the hut. The next day they
found thousands of Kissing Bugs had been living in the thatched roof dead on the ground.

BBC Nature - Blood sucker videos, news and facts

Happy Halloween. muhahhahahahah!

Great- thanks for that. My dreams will be all dark and gicthy and full of creepy-crawlies. ;)
spider_myth_or_fact_10_feet.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread