Go play in the grass ... (Found out where the mulch went).

Sheldius

Mar 15, 2007
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Minelab E-trac, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was at a park I've been to a few times. My wife found the tot lot while walking around last time we were there (I was focusing on the edges of a big field).

Arrived at about 9am and was finished with the tot lot before 10am. Very few coins and almost no trash. I did find a silver chain, and then the pendant that was probably on it. The chain came in weakly as a nickel and the pendant was a double beep very close to the swing set pole. I figured someone else was working the area and missed these.

I had finished and was working around the water fountain when a park employee came up and asked what I looking for. He was smiling, so I wasn't to worried. Was very confused by his request, though. He said he had one request - "Stay out of the mulch, since we just replaced it. I don't care what you dig in the grass." ??? I assured him that I had received permission, and that I would stay out of the bark chips if that was what he wanted. Of course, I was already done :), but it does explain why the finds were low. I've emailed them to ask what they do with the "old" mulch. ;D

Included the finds and a trash picture (which seems to be a requested trend). Pendant has a raised block in back that say 925 and below that is a NF. Is the NF a makers mark? I assume the chips are CZ's, but you never know.

Attachments

• Finds 051707A.jpg
    Finds 051707A.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 790
  • Finds 051707B.jpg
    Finds 051707B.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 801
Upvote 0

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Go play in the grass ... but the silver was already found!

Nice finds! I am a bit confused about the silver chain. I've never had silver ring in at the nickel slot. Gold however nearly always rings in as a nickel on my Garrett machines. I would double check that one. Monty

DiggerBug

Oct 28, 2006
Bama
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice finds! I see you found my hubby's arm! ;)

OP
OP
Sheldius

Sheldius

Mar 15, 2007
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Monty said:
Nice finds! I am a bit confused about the silver chain. I've never had silver ring in at the nickel slot. Gold however nearly always rings in as a nickel on my Garrett machines. I would double check that one. Monty

It confused me as well. I just ran it again, and it is still just a little below were nickels read. The chain is very silver colored and has that silver chain "feel". Maybe it is electrum (gold & silver mix)? I will have to investigate further when I get back to my office next week.

Thanks for looking.

OP
OP
Sheldius

Sheldius

Mar 15, 2007
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DiggerBug said:
Nice finds! I see you found my hubby's arm! ;)

Good thing I put it on ice. ;) I'll send it back to you right away. Usually after a long hunt, my arm feels like it should look like that the next day. Never does though, LOL.

Thanks for looking.

OP
OP
Sheldius

Sheldius

Mar 15, 2007
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sheldius said:
He said he had one request - "Stay out of the mulch, since we just replaced it. I don't care what you dig in the grass." ??? ... but it does explain why the finds were low. I've emailed them to ask what the do with the "old" mulch. ;D

Got a reply back. It was sand before and all the sand was replaced in order to get up to standard. The sand was stockpiled for use in the future as base under new concrete. Wonder if it would be worth trying to find the pile and asking to detect it? I could tell them that the metal should really be removed so that it doesn't rust and leave holes under the new pour. ::) Any thoughts from the peanut gallery? ;)

R

RUDY2003

Another nice haul Sheldius. My first and only siler ring I found this morning rang up as a nickle on my Ace 250 too.

thadious

Jul 13, 2006
Hemet, Ca
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Garret Ace 250, At Pro
nice finds there. You should call up Arnold and ask if he wants his arm back. ;D ;D ;D Happy hunting. Ted

OP
OP
Sheldius

Sheldius

Mar 15, 2007
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Monty said:
I've never had silver ring in at the nickel slot. Gold however nearly always rings in as a nickel on my Garrett machines. I would double check that one.

The chain weight is 2.417 grams and volume is 0.25-0.27 ml. That puts the specific gravity at 8.5-9.5. That is not silver, but could still be electrum (8.5-8.9).

So I got some concentrated nitric acid and dipped the end in. The acid bubbled green, and you can see were it stripped the silver off to reveal copper in the lower part. The upper part is cream colored which suggests the surface is silver like the very top part of the chain in the picture. I'm guessing it is plated with some nickel/copper alloy inside.

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• PlatedChain 001.jpg
    PlatedChain 001.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 184

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread