Going On Nox #3

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought you were actually having screen freezing, seems like the "issue" is not all that serious as the screen is not really frozen or non-responsive, just requires a couple of button presses, sometimes. No offense, but this double press thing may be a non-issue. The issues you were having with your first machine sounded more serious. I have gone through your other thread again in detail and will respond there.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, yeah, the "detect" button is also the pin point button, so, you do toggle back and forth from pin point to detect. Am I missing something here?:icon_scratch: Except for having to press a button more than you want, does the machine otherwise operate properly?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's now about pushing a button more than you want...time for some Coca Cola as I don't do coffee. Believe it or not I do not have every machine's manual memorized. I'd bet V does though.

Minelab Matt

Oct 19, 2014
S.Wales UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3 bad ones in a row!!!

I would go ballistic!!!

Weird that is fhough.

Matt.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3 bad ones in a row!!!

I would go ballistic!!!

Weird that is fhough.

Matt.

It turns out likely only one bad one, maybe 2. The button push issue is normal behavior and can be avoided by waiting for the Noise Cancel routine to fully complete and the chatter issues experienced can also likely be explained. I have spelled this out in Deep1's companion thread.

Last edited:

Iffy Signals

Sep 17, 2018
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Current-Deus & Equinox 800. Past - CTX, F75, AT Pro/Max, F44, Patriot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just tested this. You do have to push the detect button twice unless you wait the two seconds for the noise cancel bars to vanish.. once the noise cancel bars (all of the accept/reject icons) go away you only have to push it once. When trying to do it right away it takes two button presses.

Iffy Signals

Sep 17, 2018
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Current-Deus & Equinox 800. Past - CTX, F75, AT Pro/Max, F44, Patriot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope the Op was not sending back machines over the two second rule... oh wait thats for food on the floor. Either way..

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Who's in charge of quality control at Minelab?...…..if you can call it quality control ! I'd have been going ballistic after #2 had a problem and asked for a complete refund of my money.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who's in charge of quality control at Minelab?...…..if you can call it quality control ! I'd have been going ballistic after #2 had a problem and asked for a complete refund of my money.

I would agree with you if there was really a 3 strike issue here, but since it appears you didn't read the entire thread, it is likely only the first machine that had legitimate issues, the other two appear to only have the button press "issue" and noise, the former has been proven to be a non-issue due to operator error.

So no need to get histrionic at ML quality control. But seeing as you are a Garrett fan, feel free to get hold of whoever's in charge of innovation at Garrett and tell them to start innovating since they seem to be content to rest on their laurels and have failed to release anything ground breaking since the AT Pro and variations on that theme. A great detector to be sure, but time to get cracking on something to compete with the new stuff coming out of Austrailia, France, and Turkey.

Wish some US detector manufacturers would get back into the detector innovation game like Minelab, XP, and Nokta/Makro have been doing in the last few years...

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, if the case was two bad ones out of the box I personally would have asked for a full refund, and that applies to any metal detector, TV, refrigerator, car, bag of cat food...it doesn't matter.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think he needs to borrow a known good detector to see if it's operator error or not. Maybe have the owner of the borrowed machine try his. I have a hard time believing that 3 in a row were bad. Mine has been flawless for well over a year now, as well as the ones that are owned and operated by my friends and fellow club members.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haven't heard back from the OP for awhile now. I sure don't know.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think he needs to borrow a known good detector to see if it's operator error or not. Maybe have the owner of the borrowed machine try his. I have a hard time believing that 3 in a row were bad. Mine has been flawless for well over a year now, as well as the ones that are owned and operated by my friends and fellow club members.

I pretty much proved the double button press issue was a quirk of not waiting until the noise cancel routine completed and that issue was central to his complaints about units 2 and 3. So yeah, it was operator induced. Several folks have confirmed what I discovered.

Would like Deep1 to check back in to confirm. Hopefully he is having too good of a time finally being able to use his detector to bother with the forum.

OP
OP
Deep1

Deep1

Dec 30, 2018
Carolina Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nox 800, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Poor ole wore out Fisher 1266 that still finds stuff.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I pretty much proved the double button press issue was a quirk of not waiting until the noise cancel routine completed and that issue was central to his complaints about units 2 and 3. So yeah, it was operator induced. Several folks have confirmed what I discovered.

Would like Deep1 to check back in to confirm. Hopefully he is having too good of a time finally being able to use his detector to bother with the forum.

No, I have been in the hospital til Mon.
Finally up and about some.
The first detector was diagnosed by Minelab with many problems.
The second one was diagnosed with completely different issues.It was not properly ground balancing and a " constant high pitched repetitive noise in gold mode 1 that would not go away." John @ Minelab quote.
You have proven nothing.
It is not operator error, I wait for NC to complete before I press detect button.
I have waited up to 30 seconds after NC to press detect button with the same results.
Talked with Minelab this morning, it' going back.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Apparently not ok. Truly sorry for your problems.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, I have been in the hospital til Mon.
Finally up and about some.
The first detector was diagnosed by Minelab with many problems.
The second one was diagnosed with completely different issues.It was not properly ground balancing and a " constant high pitched repetitive noise in gold mode 1 that would not go away." John @ Minelab quote.

You have proven nothing.

It is not operator error, I wait for NC to complete before I press detect button.
I have waited up to 30 seconds after NC to press detect button with the same results.
Talked with Minelab this morning, it' going back.

Sorry to hear about your hospitalization and that you are still having issues with the cursed Equinox.

Not true that I have proven nothing. I have proven the reason why other folks have had the double button push “issue” and those folks have independently corroborated what I found. And I think it’s clear your issue is different than those folks who thought they were experiencing the same thing as you.

I can only respond to the information as you described it and new details trickle out as you continue to post. At that point the information you provided showed the first detector was clearly defective, but your focus and description of the button press issue appeared to be replicated and explained. Apologizing that I presumed the issue was proven operator based, but if you look at it from my perspective what else was I to conclude. You never responded to my request for you to verify what I found. I want the same thing you want, a fully functional machine and have previously made other suggestions on things you should address with ML repair also without acknowledgement from you (before you were incapacitated).

On that note, still not exactly sure what issue you are having because so far you have only described having to press the button twice but it appears now you have some other issue going on now (waited for 30 seconds - what happens then? you have to press the button again or does your machine freeze up?) - without further explanation I can only stand behind my finding of when two button presses are needed after noise cancel being an expected and normal occurence. If something more serious than having to press a button twice is happening now for the third detector, it has to be more than a coincidence of receiving lemon hardware with similar defects. Early on you reported that ML only swapped the head unit on the first machine. Since it is highly improbable all the head units are defective in the same manner out of the box, did ML at some point also replace the original coil. Like I said in a previous post, a defective coil could be causing damage to the head units such that they fail in a similar manner. If you have not done so already, I would insist on a complete replacement. If the fourth one fails or even at this point, I would insist that John inform you of what they are doing to to have ML address what now appears to be a significant and frankly unacceptable quality control issue with their repair part inventory and how he is going to verify in advance that you are not going to get another defective unit. It is important to report back on what John finds and what ML is doing about defective hardware, if that really is the case here and not just a benign button press issue.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread