Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
V, the Equinox is not cursed. Deep1's experience with them is cursed. Or something like that. I have no idea what the problem with #3 is, however Deep1 is again sending it back to Minelab, per his post.

I'm at the point in my life I have no patience with junk. With old junk, I throw it out. With new junk, or stuff, I would frankly make a federal case out of three lemon machines in a row. Or three lemon cars, or three lemon chickens, or whatever.

I'd ask for a refund and buy ANYTHING else. Or nothing else, assuming you have another machine to use.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I basically did tell him to make a federal case of it. Three actual bad units with the same problem is unacceptable.

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would agree with you if there was really a 3 strike issue here, but since it appears you didn't read the entire thread, it is likely only the first machine that had legitimate issues, the other two appear to only have the button press "issue" and noise, the former has been proven to be a non-issue due to operator error.

So no need to get histrionic at ML quality control. But seeing as you are a Garrett fan, feel free to get hold of whoever's in charge of innovation at Garrett and tell them to start innovating since they seem to be content to rest on their laurels and have failed to release anything ground breaking since the AT Pro and variations on that theme. A great detector to be sure, but time to get cracking on something to compete with the new stuff coming out of Austrailia, France, and Turkey.

Wish some US detector manufacturers would get back into the detector innovation game like Minelab, XP, and Nokta/Makro have been doing in the last few years...
If posing a question or expressing an opinion makes me histrionic.....that's your opinion. The original post states that the first one was broke out of the box. then it was sent back and the second was broke out of the box. That's the point where I'd expect a refund rather than a replacement. Yes, I'm a Garrett fan and was a White's fan for many years and liked their detectors. I'm happy with what I have so there's no need for me to tell Garrett or anyone else to get cracking or start innovating. If I was on their payroll then it would possibly be a different story.

Last edited:

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I basically did tell him to make a federal case of it. Three actual bad units with the same problem is unacceptable.
Make a federal case about it? Who's being "histrionic" now ?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make a federal case about it? Who's being "histrionic" now ?

I am. Yep looks like I may be wrong on my assessment of this very strange and unprecedented situation based in the info provided and as I said in my response to you, agreed with you that someone should call ML out if it was actually the case of ML repeatedly providing defective hardware. So here I am doing that. I have no skin in the game and have tried to provide advice and solutions at the potential expense of my reputation on this forum, but have the character to admit it if proven wrong in the end. So appreciate you calling me out on it.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Federal case". Maybe not. But we have consumer protections in this country and if a manufacturer or seller cannot or will not make it right, there is always small claims court. Doesn't matter what the product is.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guess we'll see ML repair has discovered a hardware quality control issue here or if there is a misunderstanding regarding this noise cancel button press thing as a real issue, as OP is not reporting anything else wrong with the third machine. In past direct discussions with the ML repair folks unrelated to this issue, the failure rate is pretty low from a percentage of total units basis. So having three or even two similar back-to-back failures is extremely rare. Hope they figure it out, make it right for Deep1 and it is not a sign of some quality problem brewing.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think Minelab will take care of the problem, hopefully on this return but this whole thing would make my hair turn grey- but wait, it's already going there!

OP
OP
Deep1

Deep1

Dec 30, 2018
Carolina Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nox 800, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Poor ole wore out Fisher 1266 that still finds stuff.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I spoke with John today, I asked how they handle defective machines.
He told me they are sent to the Minelab US office, they are evaluated and if they see something they don't like, they'll send them to Aust.
He said they just sent a box of them.
I suggested he red tag the one I'm about to send in. So they can take a close look at it.

What really doesn't make sense to me is both detectors had the two press issue out of the box and they had completely different problems.
Neither had a common problem, other than the 2 press.
The first one got to the point, bluetooth would not connect, it lost depth and the screen would fade out after a few hours. It did not start out with these issues, they developed
over 3 months time.
The second one started with issues out of the box.
It would not ground balance properly and had a high pitch noise when trying to GB in Gold1.
That was a problem I was unaware of until John sent me notes. I did not send it back for that problem.

In regards to the coil, it was sent back both times and tested good.
Do they have a machine to test the coil or do they just hook it up to another detector and wave a quarter under it?
Did they hook it to the detector they sent me to test?
I will ask John about that.
Either way I will have them send me a new coil.

I am starting to wonder if the Nox is compatible with my aura.
Maybe that's what's cooking them.
Does it know I really wanted a Deus?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the oddest case of "broken machine syndrome" and not being able to fix it I have seen in, well, forever. Like I said, I would have gotten loud and demanded a refund by now and bought anything else. Or nothing if you don't need a new machine. The Equinoxes are decent machines, but they did not make the competition obsolete as advertised.

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VF posted...

In past direct discussions with the ML repair folks unrelated to this issue, the failure rate is pretty low from a percentage of total units basis.”

Deep1 just posted...

He told me they are sent to the Minelab US office, they are evaluated and if they see something they don't like, they'll send them to Aust.

Hmmmm

Last edited:

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VF posted...

In past direct discussions with the ML repair folks unrelated to this issue, the failure rate is pretty low from a percentage of total units basis.”

Deep1 just posted...

Hmmmm

Right because electronics dont break so why should they be sending a box?? LMAO you obviously dont have much experience with electronics... That box is from the entire country....

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But how big was the box? If it would fit in a mail truck not too much.

I would imaging a LARGE box however, bigger than a flat rate mailing box. Even those are expensive to ship. No way to tell, 1, 5, 20 who knows from the whole country.

Last edited:

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
from the sounds of things it would only be the head or coil, with the awesomness of minelab it was pry a very small box:laughing9:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They would probably ship the heads and coils together and not the rest. So a big box, like the kind you can buy (like at a UPS store) would hold probably 30 or more machines, some of the bigger ones, 50. Hate to pay the freight on that!

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Likely control boxes only and from the number of issues I have seen reported on various forums, I would guess it was a good sized box. and yes, TC, I am pretty familiar with electronics and yes, the repairs from the whole country (and maybe Canada as well) all go to the same place.

I am not saying that there is an epidemic of failures, but with thousands of units sold, even a 1% failure rate would fill a box pretty quickly.

Remember, these are apparently unrepairable due to the fact that they are firmly glued together and disassembly destroys it. If it doesn’t work, it’s dead. So every one with a problem, goes in the box.

Minelab Matt

Oct 19, 2014
S.Wales UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3 brand new machines in a row, faulty?????

Hmmm, this is getting weird.

My father and I have had ours since April 2018 - no problems.

You are the only person I know of that has had 3 in a row machines faulty.

Something strange going on here.

Matt

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3 brand new machines in a row, faulty?????

Hmmm, this is getting weird.

My father and I have had ours since April 2018 - no problems.

You are the only person I know of that has had 3 in a row machines faulty.

Something strange going on here.

Matt

Same here. I haven't even heard of anyone having two problem machines.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the oddest case of "broken machine syndrome" and not being able to fix it I have seen in, well, forever. Like I said, I would have gotten loud and demanded a refund by now and bought anything else. Or nothing if you don't need a new machine. The Equinoxes are decent machines, but they did not make the competition obsolete as advertised.

In the same relative price range, who makes a better machine? I've tried a bunch and haven't found one yet. For specialized purposes, sure, there some out there, but, for all-around hunting......?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rick K, I personally haven't checked other forums, but I'll take your word on it.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread