Going to Edisto Beach SC

Daniel964

Jan 25, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
As the subject says I'm going to Edisto Beach SC next week. Anyone know what the detecting rules are in that area. My wife and I are tent camping at the State Park beach area. Any advice on rules or areas I could go to detect would be appreciated.

I would even be happy with detecting the wood chips in play areas. I just need a fix since I haven't got to detect much the last 2-3 months.

HH
Daniel

Upvote 0

GaBeaSwpr

May 1, 2006
Appling Georgia
Daniel;
If you are to be in the State Park @Edisto I strongly suggest you check with the park officials BEFORE you even break out the detector. State Parks here in Georgia to my knowledge are off limits to metal detector use. I live in Georgia (Appling) and have found to my extreme disgust that Jekyll Island Ga. is a State Park. The ENTIRE island from what I can gather. The stinking environmental-wackos have stopped and MDing on the beaches ostensibly to keep us from disturbing any Loggerhead Sea Turtle nests. Yeah like I'm gona be up THAT far in the dry stuff. South Carolina could be the proverbial horse of a different color but I urge all due caution on your part. I hunt Hilton Head Island S.C. regularly and have encountered no static from any authority. Was there just today matter of fact. Found a case (nearly 24) of Corona Extra bottle caps, and interesting keyring-fob, junk ring, earring and som eother junk. Have had plenty of fairly productive days there and love the place. Jellyfish stings of today notwithstanding however.
Hope you can hunt @ Edisto and find a bundle.
HH.
Jim

Heavy Chevy

Jun 18, 2005
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV and others
Hi Daniel,

I called the State Park office on Edisto Beach about 2 years ago about detecting and they said it was OK. As long as i didn't dig in the dunes/sea grass.

We know the rules can change in an instant so i would call just to make sure.

Mike in SC

May 6, 2006
Good luck on Edisto. I was there 6 weeks ago and didn't do good at all. Watch highway 17...think of it as one long speed trap. I hunt Hilton Head Island with mixed success...Going to Folly Beach in Charleston when this summer heat finally cools. One thing about Edisto I remember, there were not many bottle caps and pull tabs. Those people must take pride in keeping the area clean :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread